Fast Track by Julie Garwood

Fast Track

by Julie Garwood

190462,147 (3.5)2

Having been a long time fan of Julie Garwood makes having to admit that her newer books (the ones written in the last 10 years or so) are just one disappointment after another. Although 3 stars isn't a horrible rating I know Garwood can do so much better. I think I'm just getting tired of her new heroines. They are seriously just too perfect. Most of them usually don't exercise yet are perfectly proportioned and thin. They are extremely beautiful yet don't feel that they are (this one drives me nuts). Most are extremely intelligent.

With this particular book even though the idea of Cordie was annoying (perfect women are tiresome to read about) I didn't completely hate her. I actually liked her. The roots that Garwood put down for her made her more humble to me and shortly into the book I actually felt an emotional connection to her. I did have one issue with her though, instead of admitting she wanted Aiden and going after him she chose to run away from her feelings and him. I think as far as characters go, the larger fault, for me, is actually in Aiden. Hot, intelligent, lawyer, millionaire hotelier...what isn't good about him? Well, I just didn't buy into his feelings for Cordie. Sure Garwood added hints on how his feelings were building but I really miss her old historic romance heroes. The ones that are so Alpha they practically beat their chests and grunt when they talk but their love for their woman can bring them to their knees. I miss that "If I lost you, I'd be nothing." moments in her books. This book didn't have any of those moments for me. As much as I really wanted to like Aiden he was either treating Cordie like a princess by lavishing her with expensive clothing or being her domineering jailer (for her protection dontcha know) with nothing in between. There are names for men who do this. None of them are good and a therapist would recommend to steer clear of these men.

Here's where I got super annoyed....For a big part of the book Cordie was locked in a proverbial ivory tower. The men in her life took care of her and took care of her trouble for her. Even though she struggled with the captivity the book felt as if Garwood was advertising that women cannot take care of their own trouble and have to rely on big strong men to protect them. This wasn't the only hint of sexism I picked up on. In several instances there were quite a few men wanting to talk to Aiden about business. No women. Most of the women mentioned were ones that wanted to have sex with Aiden. What? Women cannot be shrewd business people? Not in this book I guess.

So, while Cordie was being protected there was little suspense to be had. I wasn't too terribly worried that something would happen to her despite the direction Garwood took the storyline. The bad guy was a bit obvious and it made no sense as to why that person would sit on the information waiting for the shoe to drop for decades. It seems that particular person would have done something years earlier to eliminate the potential threat because of the way Garwood made their character.

One last thing that I struggled with.....Although Garwood's writing was, as usual, pleasant to read it didn't feel like a Garwood. There were so many sentences that began "she said" or "she went" or "she stopped". She. She. She. When it wasn't "she" it was "he". What happened to Garwood's polished prose? At this point I'm not sure if I just never noticed but now I am or she really has changed the way she writes. I'm not sure if I'm inclined to go back and read all of her Buchanan/Renard books again to double check either.

In a Nutshell: An Ok book that would have been better with a more impacting suspense plot, a better leading man and less 50's sexist ideals. But hey, it was a quick read and there are a couple interesting secondary characters that are worth mentioning (Walker and Liam). ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Cordelia Kane has always been a daddy’s girl—her father raised her alone after her mother died in a car crash when Cordelia was just two years old. So when he has a serious heart attack, Cordelia is devastated, and the emotion is only intensified by the confusion she feels when he reveals the shocking truth about her mother.

Cordelia can’t suppress her curiosity about the woman who gave birth to her, and when she discovers the answers to her questions lie in Sydney, Australia, she travels there to get them.

Hotel magnate Aiden Madison is Cordelia’s best friend’s older brother. He’s oblivious to the fact that she’s had a crush on him for years. When he gets railroaded into taking her along to Sydney on his company jet, he’s unwittingly drawn into a volatile family drama.

Aiden wants to help Cordelia get answers about her mother, but threats from her wealthy, high-powered family are quickly becoming dangerous. Sparks are flying between Cordelia and Aiden, but after multiple attempts are made on Cordelia’s life, Aiden realizes he must put a stop to the madness before he loses the thing he values most.

My Thoughts:

The story starts out well...there is a flashback to the first time Aiden and Cordie meet....actually this is the only time that we really get a true glimpse of Aiden in the book. From there the whole story veers off course. If it was supposed to be romantic suspense...it missed the mark. Die hard Julie Garwood fans, of which I used to be numbered, will probably love it. Maybe it just wasn't my type of book. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Aiden & Cordelia ( )
  perennialreader | Sep 5, 2014 |
This story read as if it was written from a rough-draft outline, but never reread to check the ebb and flow of the various story arcs. It seemed as if Ms. Garwood could not decide what this story's main theme should be; i.e.,
*?* Romance between a woman who has secretly loved a man since she was 6 (he was 16), but recently decided to move on, yet the man in question just started realizing that she is more than just his little sister's best friend, that she was a very attractive woman, inside and out
*?* The heroine learns after her father's death, she isn't an orphan; that her mother's early death never occurred, so the heroine seeks answers and perhaps retribution, OR
*?* Someone is trying to kill the heroine, and she doesn't have a clue why and who they are.
The author often shared minute details about what a situation "looked like," yet storylines coming to a conclusion, lacked so much detail as to cause me (the reader) wonder what the big deal was, to begin with.
I am disappointed in this newest story released by Ms. Garwood; it is not indicative of her earlier works.

For Audiobook listeners, Tanya Eby does an acceptable job of story narration (i.e., voice differentiation, story pacing), but she doesn't perform menacing situations differently from character angst; thus contributing negatively to an already wishy-washy storyline (Ms. Eby's performance also rates 2 stars).
  Conkie | Aug 12, 2014 |

Julie Garwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eby, TanyaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
May you always have
A sunbeam to warm you,
A moonbeam to charm you,
A sheltering angel so nothing can harm you.
-- An Irish Blessing
For Marlow Raye Garwood,
our newest pride and joy
PROLOGUE
Cordelia Kane met her Prince Charming when she was just five years old.

A corrupt congressman, a mother’s secrets, and a sizzling romance ignite passion and suspense in the new novel from #1 New York Times bestselling author Julie Garwood.

Hotel magnate Aiden Madison is Cordelia’s best friend’s older brother. He’s oblivious to the fact that she’s had a crush on him for years. When he gets railroaded into taking her along to Sydney on his company jet, he unknowingly puts her life at risk. He’s recently angered a powerful congressman by refusing to purchase overvalued land. Congressman Chambers is not a man to let such an offense slide, and he has the resources to get even and to get what he wants.

In Australia sparks are flying between Cordelia and Aiden, but multiple attempts on Aiden’s life are made while Cordelia is with him, and he realizes he must put a stop to the madness before he loses the thing he values most.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:17 -0400)

Devastated by the health setbacks of the father who raised her alone, Cordelia learns a shocking truth about her mother and enlists the help of her best friend's hotel magnate older brother, Aiden, who is being targeted by a powerful congressman.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible