He Drank, and Saw the Spider by Alex Bledsoe

He Drank, and Saw the Spider

by Alex Bledsoe

It's no secret that Alex Bledsoe is one of my favorite living authors. My problem with this book is that I've pretty much read all the other Eddie LaCrosse books and I'm really sad that there probably aren't more in my future. The good thing is that Mr Bledsoe has written other series, one of which I haven't read, but one that I really adore. So, I'll trade my sword jockey for more Tufa, and maybe explore his other series that I have yet to read. ( )
  bookczuk | Dec 5, 2017 |
Hard-boiled fantasy and non-stop action abound in this charming story of a randy knight who rides in to save the day accompanied by his equally kinky girlfriend and features a full cast of medieval characters. Bledsoe’s first-person hero seems to bear a light-hearted resemblance to Harry Harrison’s Stainless Steel Rat, but whose brains trump his less-than-impressive brawn. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
It's settled. I'm a fan, Alex Bledsoe. I'm ready to dive in and explore all of the titles I've missed (especially the Eddie LaCrosse books - where have these been hiding?). I haven't been moved to laugh out loud at a book in a long time and just a page or so into He Drank, and Saw the Spider, I was snorting and looking around quickly after to make sure I hadn't been heard. Although this was #5 in the series, I never once felt like I was out of my depths. Everything made perfect sense and I felt a connection to both Eddie and Liz that was strengthened as the story was told.

Read the rest of this review at The Lost Entwife on April 10, 2014. ( )
  TheLostEntwife | Apr 9, 2014 |
He Drank, and Saw the Spider is the second book that I have read in Bledsoe's Eddie Lacrosse series, and I am just enjoying this series more and more. I really like how Bledsoe adds humor and playful banter to his story as well as all of the action and drama. Eddie is a really likeable hero who may not be perfect and can make some mistakes but never gives up on his mission. Bledsoe does a great job at making Eddie a really root worthy character, and I enjoyed the secondary characters surrounding him as well especially Liz. The book is full of many twists and turns as the reader tries to figure out the truth about Isadora, and I really liked the twist of an ending that really surprised me when the truth finally came out. Bledsoe is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors with this series as well having really enjoyed one of his Tufa novels, and I am definitely anxious to see what this author comes up with next.

Received a copy of He Drank, and Saw the Spider through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Sable677 | Feb 26, 2014 |

For fans of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and Glen Cook's Garrett PI novels, comes the newest installment in Alex Bledsoe’s Eddie LaCrosse series, He Drank and Saw the Spider.

Now, sixteen years later, that young mercenary has grown up to become cynical sword jockey Eddie LaCrosse. When his vacation travels bring him back to that same part of the world, he can’t resist trying to discover what has become of the mysterious infant.

They say a spider in your cup will poison you, but only if you see it. Eddie, helped by his smart, resourceful girlfriend Liz, must look through the dregs of the past to find the truth about the present—and risk what might happen if he, too, sees the spider.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:33 -0400)

"After he fails to save a stranger from being mauled to death by a bear, a young mercenary is saddled with the baby girl the man died to protect. He leaves her with a kindly shepherd family and goes on with his violent life. Now, sixteen years later, that young mercenary has grown up to become cynical sword jockey Eddie LaCrosse. When his vacation travels bring him back to that same part of the world, he can't resist trying to discover what has become of the mysterious infant. He finds that the child, now a lovely young teenager named Isadora, is at the center of complicated web of intrigue involving two feuding kings, a smitten prince, a powerful sorceress, an inhuman monster, and long-buried secrets too shocking to imagine. And once again she needs his help. They say a spider in your cup will poison you, but only if you see it. Eddie, helped by his smart, resourceful girlfriend Liz, must look through the dregs of the past to find the truth about the present--and risk what might happen if he, too, sees the spider"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,677,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible