Grimm Volume 1 by David Greenwalt

Grimm Volume 1

by David Greenwalt

I decided to give this a shot since the series has been on for a few years and thought I could use it as a quick way to see if it is something I want to try and catch up on. The setup is interesting and and I even after finishing it I think I would want to watch the series since I know there was so much that had to be left out of the graphic novel. A good read and you don't have to know anything about the series to start reading the book.

Digital copy provided by the publisher through NetGalley ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
A spin-off of the Grimm TV series

After receiving a cryptic phone call from his mother, homicide detective Nick Burkhardt rushes to Europe. Like Nick, his mother is a Grimm, a hunter of supernatural forces, and she has been tasked with destroying the coins of Zakynthos, three coins which grant terrible power to whoever dares to use them. If she’s called him, there’s serious trouble. As back-up, Nick brings his police partner Hank and a blutbad (essentially, a werewolf) named Monroe. The three caballeros begin their search for Nick’s mom as soon as they arrive, but their arrival has not gone unnoticed by those who do not welcome an American Grimm snooping in their affairs…

While it’s not necessary to have watched the TV show to understand the events of the comics, it really helps. I’m not sure exactly where this fits into the show, chronologically – I’m guessing it’ll be towards the end of the third season, since there have been some mysterious emails from Nick’s mother popping up. The graphic novel also directly ties into the episode in the first season, which introduced both Nick’s mother and the coins. Knowing the background information makes this story a lot more interesting and fun, and the show is worth checking out on its own merits, so if you haven’t yet watched Grimm give it a try!

But back to the comic. The story is tightly plotted and feels just like an episode from the TV show. There’s plenty of action with a wealth of fighting scenes. One of the new characters is the first Grimm that we’ve seen outside of Nick’s immediate family, and she’s a beautiful blonde fighting machine. I’ll be curious to see if she eventually appears in the TV series. But unlike some comic adaptations of shows or movies, the characters sound and act like their television counterparts, and that’s a huge relief.

If only they looked like them! The art in the graphic novel is somewhat uneven. It’s perfectly serviceable, so perhaps I shouldn’t complain. It just doesn’t look quite right. I don’t expect the drawings to look exactly like the actors in the show, but the Wesen version of characters (Wesen = transformed state, the “werewolf” type version) often doesn’t match how it looks in the show. Monroe, for example, looks more like Chewbacca then Grimm’s blutbad. Heavy shadow and thick linework doesn’t help. The coloring is rather poor, too – it’s obviously all computer-rendered, and the shadowing is very blocky. These factors all combine to make the figures rather stiff, even when in motion.

I give it three stars because I do believe there’s a bit of a stiff learning curve for readers new to the series, but I think that fans of the TV show will easily consider this more of a 4 or 5-star book. ( )
  makaiju | Apr 6, 2014 |
Find this review and other reviews like it here: http://little-missreader.blogspot.dk/2013/10/book-review-grimm-volume-1.html

My Thoughts
I love the Grimm TV-show - even though I have not seen it in a while. But it is one of my favorites. I was not so impressed with the graphic novel though. I think the illustrations was poorly done, and I had a hard time seeing if some of the characters were a man or a woman.

The story was fine, but I just felt that there was missing some background story sometimes.

When I do not like a book, I have a hard time writing a review - especially if it is a graphic novel (even if I love it). But I do not like to trash a book, so I leave you with this. This graphic novel was not exactly me, but maybe you will like it. ( )
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
I have to admit that I don't read a lot of graphic novels; however being a fan of the Grimm television show I was excited to check this one out. I think that Grimm Volume 1 is perfect for fans of the series and could also serve as a great way to introduce new fans to the show. The artwork is well done really capturing the nuances of the characters and bringing them to life. There are exciting backdrops as the characters travel the world, and the artwork does a great job at capturing the essence of the show. The story is also very well done. I'm not sure exactly when it is supposed to fall in with the show, but I would have to say somewhere in season two with Nick's mom being in it and Hank knowing the truth. The story is full of action, adventure, and intrigue making it the perfect fit for an adventurous reader who enjoys the supernatural mixed in with the suspense. I also enjoyed getting to know some new characters and learning more about those mysterious Royals. Overall Grimm Volume One proved to be a fun read that I would most definitely recommend to any Grimm fan or anyone wanting to see what Grimm is all about.

Received a copy of Grimm Volume One through Net Galley in exchange for an honest review ( )
  Sable677 | Oct 22, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible