Startup by Glenn Ogura

by Glenn Ogura

332,001,085 (4)None
Recently added byradhikax0, Teritree001971, Kyle3

No tags.

The Firm by John Grisham (Mark-L)
    Mark-L: Authors have very similar styles. Love them both!

Glenn Oguras first novel is a definite page turner, and is bound to be an epic thriller. It's hard to put the book down once you get into the unexpected twists and suspenseful scenes. The characters are captivating and very well developed. ( )
  radhikax0 | Jan 27, 2014 |
STARTUP tells us the story of Zack Perry and what happens when he decides to start up his own company, Imagination. Along the way, he loses friends, makes enemies and becomes a little wiser to the world, only to find himself back where he began.
When I first read the description for this story, I thought it would be something in the way of John Grisham. However, I felt none of the adrenalin and morbid curiosity which kept me constantly reading THE FIRM. Instead, after having an interesting opening with the prologue, which captures the imagination and starts the reader to thinking, things rise and fall as you read the story. At times I found myself wanting to read more, while at others I just wanted it to be over and done with as I skimmed along.
Although the writing mechanics are meticulous, I felt little for most of the main characters in the story. To me, the main players in the story were Zack, Mary Anne and Allen, who was the most believable. Both Zack and Mary Anne, work for Allen in his cutthroat business DisplayTechnik. Each are near the top of their divisions in this company and Allen is not a man to promote people without talents, even if they are his own family. In my opinion, both Zack and Mary Anne were way too naive to be where they were at that point in their lives. It was as if, in an attempt to make the point that there still remain a few people with morality and ethics in the business sector, it was overdone to the point that it was unbelievable.
Perhaps the most well developed character of the book was Allen, although I did like his wife Charlotte also. Even though Allen is clearly the villain in the story, you can't help but have a little respect for his brilliance of mind and that go get em attitude, while hating his immorality and selfishness. Allen is a man with dreams and goes after them. First he starts his own company and makes it a roaring success, then he hires only the best for the business and does whatever he has to to protect that business. It is this character which makes the saddest and most memorable statement in the story when he educates Julie in no certain terms, “I'm saying that there's no loyalty in America. None. People don't work for me because they believe in me. Hell, they couldn't care less about me. They work for me because it helps them get what they want. Money. Money for a bigger house, more cable channels, vacations from their pathetic lives. Today, people don't have any respect for their employers.” Of course this works both ways, as employers no longer have respect for their employees either. This statement had me thinking that more and more we have respect for no one or nothing but ourselves and what we want. We're becoming so isolated with our technologies, that all we see is me. ( )
  Teritree001971 | Jan 12, 2014 |
Loved the subject of the moral dilema of starting a new company and the ramifications of leaving former employer. What do you owe if you have a new idea? Not always well received as this fast paced thriller finds. Dilemas that occur everyday can explode in on everyone and make people do things that they would never have thought they could. A test of love, freindship, and survival. Great read. ( )
1 vote Kyle3 | Nov 2, 2013 |
"...author Glenn Ogura demonstrates a rich woven and adroitly capable storytelling talent that is ideal for suspense laden thrillers that engage the readers total attention from beginning to end. Very highly recommended. "Startup" would prove an enduringly popular addition to personal reading lists and community library collections."
-Midwest Book Review

Young idealist Zack Penny usually gets to work early to take in the surroundings and breathe in the crisp, mechanically filtered air, knowing that one day his own company will be very different from DisplayTechnik. As he follows the vision of his highly successful, results-at-all-costs mentor and CEO Allen Henley, Zack quietly nurtures a big dream--to create a new company of high morals and values, one that will revolutionize the world through the creation of wallpaper-thin displays to completely surround a viewer. That dream is set in motion one morning when he realizes an important paper has been taken from his office. Moments later, Zack learns someone has turned him in. After his boss, who also happens to be the father of his girlfriend, Mary Anne, gives him one last chance to pledge his loyalty, Zack resigns. Determined to realize his vision, he soon steps into his new facility with high hopes and no idea that Henley has already put a plan into action with the intent of systematically destroying Zack, his perfect company and most of all, the relationship between Zack and Mary Anne, who is unwittingly caught in the cross-fire. In this fast-paced thriller, a young entrepreneur faces moral dilemmas in Silicon Valley, a place where the inner workings of the legal system favors the aggressor.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Glenn Ogura's book Startup was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Glenn Ogura is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible