The Faerie War by Rachel Morgan

Completed July 2016 ( )
  ERose207 | Aug 4, 2016 |
The Faerie War was absolutely amazing! I devoured it and loved every second. I am so sad it is over though. The Creepy Hollow series is one you all should be thinking of adding to your library!

The Faerie War starts off with Violet... only she is a little different. Yep, she lost her memory. Everyone is preparing to go into hiding from the mysterious being destroying Creepy Hollow. The beginning was very exciting as you are plunged straight into the world with no time to be bored! Also, lucky for us, we get the second section from Ryn's point of view. I loved reading from his perspective, especially since he is such a unique and awesome character. We all fell for him in The Faerie Prince, but I promise he will impress you even more in this conclusion!

I can not not mention the wonderful humor. I laughed and smiled countless times. The banter between Ryn and Violet is so entertaining! Also, the readers were introduced to some awesome characters such as Em of the London Guild. She was so cool! Her job is to provide comic relief for the team, as she put it! Em perfectly balances out Fin, who is very serious and subdued. Also, we meet Jamon, a Repticilla, in the beginning. At first, he is kind of unlikable, as he has an understandable-ish grudge against Violet. Eventually I grew to really enjoy his character.

We also meet Tilly, who has an important part in the book, but I won't tell you why in fear of spoiling the book! Tilly is also a pretty awesome character who, like Em, had some pretty awesome lines. Here is one I could relate to, this is said while she is welcoming Ryn and Violet into the house: "My mom would probably say 'Please excuse the mess' but, honestly, I think it looks fine." That line made me laugh inside. (Also, that line is from my memory so it may not be the exact quote.) In the beginning, we are led to believe that Tilly might not exactly be all there upstairs. Yeah, that scene was very entertaining!

The ending was epic. My mind was blown by the excellence of the final scenes. My emotions were running high as the darkness and climax approached and the very, very last chapters were so sweet and powerful. Overall, The Faerie War is an action packed read with an amazing romance and unique characters that have a special place in my heart. I know I will reread the series again and again!

*I received this book for free in exchange for a honest review. My thoughts above are 100% honest*

4.5/5 Stars
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
All of the Faerie Realms are in a state of destruction. The Guilds are destroyed the Guardians brainwashed into working for Draven. And Violet Fairdale is being held captive by the Reptiscilla, the fae she once hunted as a Guardian herself. But she doesn't remember any of it. She has no memories. And she isn't sure if someone did this to her or if she did it to herself. The only thing from her past that she has is a note in her pocket from someone that says he had to leave without saying goodbye but he would return soon. And his name "Ryn".

Ryn in the meantime is on what he considers a pointless mission to find something for Vi's father, some ancient artifact needed to kill Draven. But he believes his search is in vain. The landmarks just aren't there and they are so ancient who's to say they haven't disappeared completely. Until he practically falls into the entrance to the cave.

And the rest of the fae? The ones that haven't fallen to Draven's brainwashing? They are in a secret location building allies with the other fae preparing to make a stand.

This is definitely more action than the other two books in the series. Vi has no memory for most of the book and in fact only accidentally runs into Ryn who rescues her and Jamon, the reptiscilla she's been hiding out with. Ryn, is patient and kind, trying to help her remember him, but never pushing her, however, there is work going on in the lab to fix a potion to bring her memory back when they ascertain she took a "forget" potion.

In the meantime Vi has to figure out who she is. The author does something really interesting with her main character in this last book. Vi grows, but she softens and allows for some mistakes, some humanity, some emotion to show through. All the things you'd think would make your character weak, it makes Vi vulnerable and I think I like her most in this book. I finally realized how gruff and removed she was in the previous two books. But in this one, even though she doesn't know who she is, she'll accept a challenge from Ryn when they are in a rough situation because she thinks that sounds like something Vi would do. But the need to be the best, one up someone, have the best time, that girl is gone. Her walls have dropped and she is a much nicer, kinder person for it. She notices more, she loves more, she feels more. It makes her a better guardian and person. She needs that when she finds out what caused the destruction of the Faerie Realms.

Ryn, is changed. His playfulness is gone. Times are serious. His mother is missing and even though he's found Vi, she doesn't remember him. Did she want to forget him? And how will they beat Draven? He has the power, the numbers and the magic. They only have one weapon and very little to go on to find the one that can deliver the death blow. But Ryn is a never say never kind of guy and he thinks outside of the box. If you were ever to get trapped in a dungeon for five days separated by a brick wall from someone for, hope it's Ryn. Just sayin', he'll keep you entertained....

I have loved this series and I'm so sad to have it end, but there were some amazing twists throughout the whole series and this one as well that made it so fresh. I love Rachel Morgan's spin on Faerie and I really can't wait to see what else she has in store for the future. This is a definite must for lovers of Faerie Tales.
Probably a PG-13 book. Maybe just PG. ( )
  hrose2931 | Oct 22, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,015,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible