The Rich and the Dead: A Novel by Liv…

The Rich and the Dead: A Novel

by Liv Spector

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was drawn into this book right away, who wouldn't be: wealth, time travel. I'm not always a fan of books of this ilk, too much fluff not enough believable plot. This book however was neither of those. I'd recommend this book for someone who likes believable mystery, but isn't afraid of a little plot either! ( )
  steephers | Feb 2, 2015 |
I have to say I really enjoyed this book. What would you do if you could go back in time and try to figure out what happened. You can't interfere and try to change anyone's fate, but how could you not end up trying to do just that. I enjoyed the time travel back to this time and I was surprised by the ending. I'm hoping there will be more from this author and hopefully in this series. ( )
  hiking1957 | Sep 5, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Rich and The Dead is a near-future murder mystery by Liv Spector with a very interesting twist - time travel. What if you could go back a few years to learn who was responsible for a murder? If you were the officer in charge of that case and it had bugged the hell out of you, wouldn't you be tempted to do just that so you could bring the murderer to justice? The concept certainly got my attention, and it definitely made for a fun, if nail-biting, read! ( )
  PopcornReads | Jul 9, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of this book thru the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program. I loved it! I truly was guessing until the end, and I was very impressed with the technology in the book. It's a great mystery novel, and I recommend it to readers who love such books. 4 stars! ( )
  KimmyDavis | Apr 8, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I picked this book up on a whim and was immediately drawn in by the cover and the title. The cover is absolutely gorgeous and I love both the simplicity and use of colors. The title is perfect for this novel and really catchy in my opinion. I’ve never heard of Liv Spector and for her debut novel it was very well done.

The writing is perfect mystery novel writing. It sucks you in and gives you the perfect mix of detail, dialogue and intrigue. It was so easy to just wrap yourself up in the mystery and go on this adventure with our protagonist – Lila Day; also known as Camilla Dayton. I loved seeing how she had to adjust, not only to having time traveled and being over three years in the past, but also to change her entire persona to adjust to the lives of the 1%.

The mystery was also very intriguing. I liked the idea of this secret society of philanthropists who donated money to charities every year. I was really curious to find out not only who killed the twelve victims but mostly what their motive was. I’m glad to say that I had no idea about the motive until the last 20 pages. I accidentally guessed the person as a ‘it would be funny if ___ turned out to be the killer’ kind of incident. I really liked how Spector made it that (despite this random guess) I still didn’t really think it was said person until the end. The idea had just flitted through my mind and then I was back to wondering who could do it and why.

Even though you have to wait until the very bitter end to find out everything, and it may seem like the mystery was dragging on, it never felt that way. I was swept up with each new lead and each new possibility, all the while wondering and wanting to know. The story just flew by and before I knew it the big reveal was happening and I couldn’t read fast enough.

Liv Spector’s debut novel has met all my expectations. The description made me want to read this book immediately and I’m so glad I got a copy. I absolutely loved it and loved Spector’s writing. It seems on goodreads that there might be another novel with our lovely Lila Day and I really hope that’s true. Regardless I do plan to read anything else Spector publishes. ( )
  TheBigNerd | Mar 20, 2014 |

On New Year's Day, 2015, twelve of the world's most influential people are found murdered in the basement of a mansion. Investigator Lila Day is unable to solve the crime and her life unravels--until three years later when she meets a reclusive billionaire who will send her back in time to solve the mystery before it happens.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Liv Spector's book The Rich and the Dead was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible