Midnight Crossroad (TV Tie-In) (A Novel of…

Midnight Crossroad (TV Tie-In) (A Novel of Midnight, Texas) (edition 2017)

by Charlaine Harris (Author)

Member:wyogal11
Title:Midnight Crossroad (TV Tie-In) (A Novel of Midnight, Texas)
Authors:Charlaine Harris (Author)
Info:Ace (2017), Edition: Media Tie In, 384 pages

Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris

Took me a lot longer to get into it than i would have liked. I think I had a hard time because i watched the tv show before reading and i just couldn't reconcile some of the characters in the book with what i "thought" they should look like based on the show. And the whole twist at the end was a complete shock to me! ( )
  chaoticbooklover | Dec 26, 2018 |
Midnight Crossroad started a little slow, but I like Manfred Bernardo from the Harper Connelly series and Bobo Winthrop from the Lily Bard series, both of whom are main characters in the Midnight novels, so I kept at it. (Funnily enough, I didn't realize that the police officer, Arthur Smith, is from the Aurora Teagarden series until almost the end of the book. I liked him a lot better here than in that series, although that may also be because Charlaine Harris’s writing has improved over the years.) The town's quirky characters drew me in, and by the time Manfred, Fiji and Olivia started their investigation at the Cartoon Saloon, I was hooked. I wasn't disappointed—I really enjoyed this book.

I’m not usually a fan of having multiple POV characters, but I thought the author used it very well. One of the best things about this book was the mix of the supernatural and the mundane. It’s rare (at least in the fantasy fiction I’ve read) for supernatural protagonists to have mundane problems. Also, I’ve always liked the way Charlaine Harris isn’t afraid to tackle racism in the American South head on—this book is a bit of a follow-up to Shakespeare’s Champion both thematically and, through Bobo, plot-wise.

The solution to the mystery came as a complete surprise to me. Partly this was because there were only the vaguest hints, not really anything that could have led to the answer. Sometimes that’s annoying, but here it made perfect sense and fit with the general tone of the story, which is not really a whodunnit. Partly, though, it was because the solution wasn’t the kind of solution I had been expecting—it took things in a direction I didn’t foresee, and not in a bad way.

All in all, I found Midnight Crossroad quite entertaining, and I’m looking forward to seeing more of the Midnighters in the sequels, Day Shift and Night Shift. ( )
  Enyonam | Aug 17, 2018 |
3.5 stars (...really Goodreads, when are you going to let us do half star ratings?)

I definitely enjoyed this book, as I enjoyed Harris's Southern Vampire series. Some of the plot points were easily predictable, while others definitely caught me off guard. I'm wanting to finish the book series before the NBC premiere of the TV version of the books.

Manfred was an enjoyable character and I liked his relationship/background he had with his grandmother. I couldn't really fathom that a character's name would legitimately be "Bobo" but I mean, this is Charlaine Harris. I liked Bobo's character, but the ending definitely surprised me. I never thought that he had killed Aubrey, it just didn't seem likely. I think the dynamic between Madonna & Teacher with the rest of the town is odd. Like they have to be hiding SOMETHING because everyone in this town is. I feel the same way about Joe and Chuy. I think that Fiji needs to frickin tell Bobo what's up and either be with him or quit pining over him Lemuel and Olivia are interesting characters. I would really like to know more about Olivia though. As for the Lowell's-- I did not expect Connor to be killed so quickly. I knew there was something weird going on with that family, but holy hell. And I have a feeling Creek will be back for Manfred. As for the Rev--- I have a feeling something with him correlates to that large "animal" going around Hopefully more will be answered in book 2!!
  itswawawhitney | Jun 19, 2018 |
This was ok. I liked it well enough, but I didn't love it.

It's been awhile since I've read a Charlaine Harris book (I never finished the Southern Vampires/Sookie Stackhouse books), and I'd forgotten how sometimes her writing gets bogged down in describing--in detail--the minutiae of everyday life.

The book overall is very slow paced. I'm not sure if it's due to it being the first book in the series and the author needs time to set up the world and introduce the characters, or if that's just the way these books are. Things happen, but it takes awhile to really get going.

I was assuming the story would be told from Manfred's POV, but it wasn't. Instead, it had multiple POV's, and I actually quite liked that.

I also liked the characters and the world enough to want to continue on with the series. I just hope the pace picks up some... ( )
  stellar_raven | Jun 16, 2018 |
This was not good. What a disappointment and a waste of time. Maybe it was building the characters for the next novel, but you have to make people want to read the next novel. I loved "True Blood" and read 7 of the other books until they became repetitive. This book read like the author wrote it in high school and later perfected it and turned it into the True Blood series. Same themes and same story line, just terrible and boring. Nothing ties together. I will not be reading the next one and I'm irritated that I even finished this one. ( )
  Nemorn | Jun 4, 2018 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bennett, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estrada, SigridAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estreicher, TiffanyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freeda, RichardAntiques displayed endpaper photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knight, DougTurquoise rings endpaper photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rogers, ChrisStarfield cover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
spirit of americaRed truck cover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Syme, HughCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As always, this is for my readers. I hope you like this new world and its people.
You might pass through the town of Midnight with noticing it, if there weren't a stoplight at the intersection of Witch Light Road and the Davy highway.

FIRST IN A NEW TRILOGY

From Charlaine Harris, the bestselling author who created Sookie Stackhouse and her world of Bon Temps, Louisiana, comes a darker locale—populated by more strangers than friends. But then, that’s how the locals prefer it…

Welcome to Midnight, Texas, a town with many boarded-up windows and few full-time inhabitants, located at the crossing of Witch Light Road and Davy Road. It’s a pretty standard dried-up western town.

There’s a pawnshop (someone lives in the basement and is seen only at night). There’s a diner (people who are just passing through tend not to linger). And there’s new resident Manfred Bernardo, who thinks he’s found the perfect place to work in private (and who has secrets of his own).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:06 -0400)

"FIRST IN A NEW TRILOGY From Charlaine Harris, the bestselling author who created Sookie Stackhouse and her world of Bon Temps, Louisiana, comes a darker locale-populated by more strangers than friends. But then, that's how the locals prefer it. Welcome to Midnight, Texas, a town with many boarded-up windows and few full-time inhabitants, located at the crossing of Witch Light Road and Davy Road. It's a pretty standard dried-up western town. There's a pawnshop (someone lives in the basement and is seen only at night). There's a diner (people who are just passing through tend not to linger). And there's new resident Manfred Bernardo, who thinks he's found the perfect place to work in private (and who has secrets of his own). Stop at the one traffic light in town, and everything looks normal. Stay awhile, and learn the truth... "--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,423,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible