Silenced by Dani Pettrey

Kayden McKenna loves rock climbing. To her it's relaxing as well as fun, but not today. Today she comes face-to-face with a dead body. She accesses the situation and feels like something is off but is not sure what. Jake Westin enjoys watching Kayden climb but soon realizes just what Kayden ran into. Was it an accident or murder? Sheriff Landon Grainger quickly deputizes Jake to help him with the investigation. It doesn't take long to realize it was no accident. As Jake and Kayden look for clues for who might be behind it, coupled with some odd things that happen, they realize that the killer knows they're getting closer. Jake's love for Kayden just may put her life in danger but he refuses to let history repeat itself. They will get to the bottom of it, but nothing will prepare them for what they discover!

Silenced is book 4 in the Alaskan Courage Series and I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed this entire series! I have really come to love the McKenna family who are tight-knit, but full of personality. This is a series that I highly recommend reading in order, mostly for the family dynamics and growth. Kayden and Jake are the star players in this story but you have the benefit of seeing the whole family, which I loved. The relationship between our lead couple is pensive but slowly and naturally develops. One thing I really appreciated was the everyday simple faith the character possessed (which I find encouraging), no spiritual heavy handedness. The author does a great job keeping you guessing who it is, until near the end where you then embark on a nail-biting ride to the end. I highly recommend you discover the Alaskan frontier and get to know the wonderful McKenna family. You'll be glad you did. (Submerged, Shattered, Stranded and Silenced). Now I am looking forward to Sabotaged!

*This complimentary copy was provided by Bethany House through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Series: Alaskan Courage (Book 4)
Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers (May 6, 2014)
ISBN-10: 0764211951
ISBN-13: 978-0764211959

For more information about this book or other books by Dani Pettrey, I recommend you visit her website: http://www.danipettrey.com/ ( )
  love2readnovels | Jul 6, 2014 |
Title: Silenced (Alaskan Courage #4)
Author: Dani Pettrey
Pages: 327
Year: 2014
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Book #4 in this series doesn’t disappoint! The story this time centers on Kayden McKenna and Jake Westin. It is again set in Alaska, but unlike book #3 that was set mostly at sea, this was is back on land. We also see a lot more of the fifth McKenna sibling, Reef, in this book.
While Kayden is out rock climbing she discovers a body. It is quickly discovered that the climber was murdered and didn’t die due to an accidental fall while climbing. With the abrupt resignation of the sheriff, Landon Grainger is promoted from deputy to temporary acting sheriff. Since he is overloaded with work he asks Jake to temporarily be deputized and work the murder case. Kayden is also asked for her climbing expertise to help Jake investigate. Both Jake and Kayden are secretly thrilled they will be working together as they both have realized their strong attachment to the other. They won’t tell each other how they feel because they can’t see a future together. As they investigate, their attraction and love only increase with the time spent in each other’s company.
Jake discovers he really enjoys being back on the force. He tells himself it is only temporary as God didn’t make him to be a cop because of his failure on his last case three years ago in Boston. That failure caused him to resign his job as detective and move to Alaska to start over. That case also cost him a lot more than his job. He knows he shouldn’t open his heart again to future hurt, but someone Kayden has snatched his heart without him being aware of it. He will do anything to keep her safe, which skills will come to the forefront as they encounter someone from his past who will stop at nothing to hurt Jake by hurting Kayden. Kayden must also admit to herself how she has cut herself off emotionally from her family and friends when her mother died. She is terrified of inheriting her mother’s rheumatoid arthritis and as a result is a health and exercise fanatic almost to the point of obsession because she needs to feel like she can control something about her life. Can she surrender this control to the One who is always in control? The One who always knows what is best for His children?
I have spent a lot of time with the McKenna family over the past week as I’ve read all four books over that time period. They have come to be like my own brothers and sisters. What a wonderful job their parents did, raising such strong Christian children. While strong Christians, they aren’t perfect. I can identify with their foibles and struggles, which makes them so easy to relate to. There is also a lot of action and suspense to enjoy as well. I can’t wait to read Reef’s story!
My rating is 5 stars.
Note: The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/. Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jun 21, 2014 |
Silenced
Dani Pettrey

Book Summary: A relaxing day of rock climbing takes a disturbing turn when Kayden McKenna's route brings her face-to-face with a dead climber. Is it a terrible accident or something darker? When the case is handed to overburdened sheriff Landon Grainger, he turns to Jake Westin for help. With Jake's past now revealed, he's ready to use his talent for investigation again--but he could never prepare for where the mystery will take him. Kayden's climbing expertise soon leads her and Jake to the realization that the death was no accident. And worse, it seems the killer is onto them. When strange things begin happening in Yancey, Jake is terrified that once again his world may put someone he loves in danger. But the truth is far worse than he could ever imagine.

Book Review: This was a suspense filled story that kept clicking with the other in the series. I am now set up for the next book and can’t wait!! I found Kayden to be a little cold at times and not as easy to identify with. She was driven and determined, traits easy to understand. The distance she kept from everyone was less believable when you read the other about the other family members. These things were not overly consuming when the mystery was tangled web of intrigue!!! It was fast paced and well written the page flew by. My heart was beating so fast as the end drew near. I really liked Jake, he is a great character!. The climbing angle was interesting but more a diversion to the real underbelly of the story. Without spoiling the ending it was worth the read and set in motion the next installment.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Bethany House Publishing for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. ( )
  Robin661 | May 14, 2014 |
Book Four of the Alaskan Courage series by Dani Petri does not disappoint. Kayden McKenna’s rock climb turns into deadly intrigue as she makes a startling discovery. To solve the mystery, she engages love interest, Jake Westin, to figure it out. The dance around their romance is as compelling as their attempt to stay ahead of their pursuers.

As you read, see if you can figure out these clues to the mystery:

• Is there something amiss with the chalk the climber used?
• Are we dealing with an accidental death or murder?
• Is Stuart Anderson’s present merely to comfort Vivienne, the grieving widow?
• In what way did the loss of Jake’s wife, Becca, affect his relationship with Kayden?

This reader found it odd that Kayden, an expert climber, but not a policeman, was permitted to serve a warrant and interrogate suspects. There seemed to be a disconnect between the intrigue set up in the first half of the book and what ensued in the second. This reader was not acquainted with the three books that preceeded Silenced, but that did not diminish my ability to follow the story and engage with the characters. Jake, back in the saddle as a deputy, haunted by his wife’s death, and brimming with love for Kayden, is the strongest character.

Dani Pettry is an established author of inspirational romantic suspense. This is light reading with minor flaws. If you like a good nail-biter with well-developed characters and a twisty plot that keeps you guessing, Silenced is for you.

Bethany House Publishers supplied the advance review copy for my unbiased opinion. ( )
  hollysing | May 13, 2014 |
This is another intense drama that captures your interest and makes it hard to put down once you start. I stayed up late to finish because I just couldn't put it down. It is book four in the "Alaskan Courage" series and although you could read it as a stand alone, I do not recommend it because the books preceding it are all just as good and you get to know and love the McKenna family so well by reading the other stories first.

Kayden McKenna is an avid rock climber, but she wasn't expecting to find a dead body on the ledge she has climbed up to. Now the family, the Sheriff and good friend Jake Westin Cavanagh will need to find out what happened to this climber. Jake and Kayden have worked together before and although Jake has fallen in love with Kayden, he isn't sure how she feels about him. Kayden is a very independent lady who has real issues with letting anyone help her or get to close to her. The chemistry is there, but it will take time for them both to admit their feelings for each other. In the meantime they are searching for a killer, but will find that that isn't the real danger that threatens them. A story that is full of faith, love for family, danger, mystery and the realization that "God doesn't promise the way will be easy, far from it, but He promises to carry us through, to give us the courage and grace we need when we need it. He most often doesn't change the circumstances, He changes us." (A favorite quote from this story.)

Sit back and enjoy catching up on all the McKenna siblings in this gripping story. You will be glad you did. A special thanks goes to Bethany House for giving me this story to read for my honest review.

File Size: 4205 KB
Print Length: 336 pages
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers (April 29, 2014)
ASIN: B00GHXROW6 ( )
  judyg54 | Apr 28, 2014 |

"After Kayden McKenna discovers the body of a fellow climber, she and Jake Westin team up to investigate the death--provoking threats on her entire family"--

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,425,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible