Menagerie by Rachel Vincent

Menagerie

by Rachel Vincent

mom (184)

Oh my god this book was DUUUUUUMB. So dumb. The dumbest. Delilah is a moronic, self-righteous asshole and Gallagher is a cardboard cutout. I literally laughed out at multiple points because of how ridiculous it was. ( )
  plumtingz | Dec 14, 2017 |
Menagerie is about a young woman that's made out to be a monster and sold to the traveling "human/cryptid circus". She's locked in a cage and left to ponder what she is and how she can save those around her. The more she learns about the others, the more involved she becomes. Gallagher, her handler, is stern and professional, but as she wears him down she sees that he just may be the key to freedom.

This book had a way of pulling me in and captivating my every sense. I could see the scenes being played out in my mind, hear the harshness in Gallagher demands, taste the stale cage air, and feel the emotions seeping from the pages. I felt committed to the words and devoted to the characters. The more I read, the more I fell deeper into the dark story.

The Menagerie world is not for those with a weak heart. There is abuse, rape, and just plain ugly hatred. Beyond the broken facades are people searching for freedom and their families. Each cryptid is hurting and the bruises on the outside aren't nearly as painful as the inner ones. What you have to come to terms with while reading is the fact that without all of the ugly you wouldn't get the beautiful. It truly was an epic read that is going on the top of my 2015 favorites list for sure!

*Note* To the people uneasy over the "no romance" thing... You have to consider the setting and the plot. Open up your eyes in the darkness and find the love within in the cracks. I strongly prefer romance in my reads and this one met all of my cravings. I found the romance in subtle gestures and genuine acts of kindness. So if you're thinking about passing on this one due to a lack of romance... Be real and give it a chance. I think you will find yourself quite pleased with how everything unfolds.
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
I loved this audiobook! I love it when an audiobook can completely pull me into another world like this one did. I couldn't get this story out of my head even when I wasn't actively listening to it. Everything about this story was so vivid and I really felt for the characters. I bought this audiobook when it was on sale months ago but I had no idea how wonderful the story was at that time. I am so glad that I decided to pick this one up.

The world this story is set in is a bit different than our own. Cryptids are real but they are not allowed to live outside of captivity. That is where carnivals like Metgzer's Menagerie come into play. Cryptids are put on display in cages and petting zoos for the amusement of humans looking to pass some time. Let's just say that it is not an ideal way to live.

Delilah has always been interested in cryptids and even has a college degree in the field. When her long time boyfriend buys tickets to the menagerie, she is not thrilled but goes along to make everyone happy. While at the event, things happen that cause her life to be changed forever. She has no idea what has happened and isn't even sure of what she is anymore. Soon, she becomes an exhibit in the same carnival and her adjustment process is difficult at best.

I loved the characters in this book. It was interesting to see that the real monsters in the story were the humans. All of the characters that were captive like Delilah were easy to like. They all seemed to care for each other and really tried to make the most out of a terrible situation. I think that one of the strengths of the story was the level of emotions that really came through. I really felt the pain of the characters when they were treated ill by the caretakers.

Gabra Zackman did an excellent job with the narration of the audiobook. I loved all of her character voices and really felt the emotional aspects of the story come through. This was the kind of audiobook that I had no problem listening to for hours at a time. The delivery was smooth and well paced. This was the first time that I have listened to Gabra Zackman's narration but I plan to look for her work in the future.

I would highly recommend this book to others. This is a vividly told story that really grabs your attention. I thought that the overall story was unique and completely interesting. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in the series so that I can find out what will happen to Delilah and the rest of the characters. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Sep 4, 2016 |
*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review*

Menagerie was amazing. It was brutal to read in parts, but I couldn't look away. Vincent delves into the atrocities humans commit when they are scared of something or some one. She shows how humans lock up cryptids, strip them of their rights, and don't bat an eyelash when they suffer.

Delilah, our main character, is a strong heroine who is locked up as a cryptid after years believing she was human. She sees the abuse of cryptids and the monster within her comes out. Then, her life becomes a nightmare. In a menagerie, forced into a cage like property, she is supposed to perform like a circus animal. She sees the abuse happening and the monster in her comes out.

However, Delilah's inner sense of justice and strength make her almost unbreakable. She doesn't go down without a fight. She makes allies on her journey and the reader is rooting for her throughout the entire novel.

My only two complaints were...

1) I wasn't very fond of all the multiple view point. I think I would have preferred to see just from Delilah's POV

2) The ending felt rushed... I am very ready for the next book though!

I'm excited for Spectacle... but I can't wait until 2017! I read a sneak peek and now I need more *cries* Maybe I'll go pick up some of Vincent's other books- I've heard great things! ( )
  Emily_Anne | Aug 8, 2016 |
This book was incredible.

Despite what some may call a "slow" beginning, I was drawn in immediately. Vincent's writing is rich and immersive. I was drawn in immediately and continued the journey every chance I had.

That is what a good book does to a person.

Characters are varied and rich. You can see, smell, and touch the Menagerie. The only bad part about this book is that I will have to wait a year longer for its sequel. ( )
  Morteana | May 6, 2016 |

When Delilah Marlow visits a famous traveling carnival, Metzger's Menagerie, she discovers a fierce, sharp-clawed creature lurking just beneath her human veneer. Captured and put on exhibition, Delilah in her black swan burlesque costume "performs" in town after town. Despite the breathtaking beauty behind the seamy and grotesque reality of the carnival and despite the kindness of the cryptic handler Gallagher, she and her fellow menagerie of mermaids, minotaurs, gryphons and kelpies struggle for their freedom.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,598,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible