Murder 101 by Faye Kellerman

Murder 101 (2014)

by Faye Kellerman

Series: Decker/Lazarus (22)

2351949,137 (3.74)1

Murder 101 is another in the Decker/Lazarus series from Faye Kellerman and will likely satisfy most of her fans (thus 4 stars from me rather than 3) but is unlikely to win her any new readers.

The story and plot were fine for the most part and of course Peter and Rina were, well, Peter and Rina. I liked the new young 'partner' Decker was stuck with. I think, for me, what just didn't fit was the location. Not the actual logistics of the location but the disconnect in my mind from Los Angeles to a small town in New York. There were a few too many references to his big city past which only made me long for the story to be taking place there.

As usual Kellerman's writing is wonderful and her characters are compelling. I think I would have been happier if this had been a new series with a new couple retiring to a small town. While the characters would have had the baggage from their past I would not have had it and could have appreciated the story a little more.

Having sounded so disappointed I would still recommend this book to readers of the genre whether you are familiar with Decker and Lazarus or not. I don't know that it will make you want to read more of Kellerman but it probably wouldn't keep you from being willing to either. Read some of the earlier books in the series to experience Peter and Rina in their more 'natural' element.

Reviewed from a copy made available through Goodreads First Reads. ( )
  pomo58 | Mar 6, 2017 |
The ending was just terrible! It really irritated me! The story was going along great & then it just like stopped. It was like she just ran out of time & just threw together a 2 min ending. It just didnt fit. I felt like I was left with alot of loose ends and unanswered questions. Also, there were several times when i found myself drifting off. It felt like she kept rehashing the same old "blue-blood" issues about Tyler & his attitude and position in the dept. etc. etc. etc.. I thought that could have been cut down substantially plus if I hear "old man" one more time Im going to scream!!! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Detective Peter Decker, now living in New York and working at a less-demanding police job than his former career in LA was, finds himself ensnared in an ever-challenging case. What starts out as an apparent theft in a cemetery escalates into murder. Working with a new partner, an upstart rich kid that no one else wanted to be partnered with, Decker is suddenly back on the job with a vengeance. The only disappointing aspect of the book was the conclusion, both with the writing – as if the author suddenly got tired of her own creation – and with the way that justice was meted out. Still, there was much to enjoy in this mystery, great characters we’ve come to love and an intriguing plot, right up until almost the very end. ( )
  Maydacat | Feb 13, 2016 |
In the 22nd book of this series, recently retired LAPD Detective Lieutenant Peter Decker and his wife Rina Lazarus have left Los Angeles and moved to Greenbury, a small town in upstate New York, to be closer to their children and grandchildren. Decker has gone to work for the town's police department, but unlike the constant stream of murders, drive-by shootings, robberies, etc. in Los Angeles, life is quite dull. His young partner, Tyler McAdams, is a Harvard graduate taking time off before starting law school.

Suddenly, it seems a real crime has been committed in their town. There has been a theft in the local cemetery. One of the mausoleums was fitted with four priceless Tiffany panels, but now two of the four that are present prove to be fake. That same day, a young woman, a student of fine arts at a local college, has been brutally murdered. Their investigation reveals that she had made the fake Tiffany panels and somehow replaced the originals with her forgeries. But she had to have had help. Soon, a young man is found violently stabbed to death. Decker and McAdams continue to interview staff at nearby colleges and museums, all in an effort to learn who would have an interest in acquiring the original Tiffany panels.

Murder 101 is an interesting mystery, set largely in an appealing small town, but with side trips to Boston and New York City. While Decker is a well-known character to readers, it is Tyler McAdams that steals the show, with a wicked attitude that livens up the story line. He comes from a wealthy family, and postponing law school to work as a policeman just riles his father. I felt like the aging of the main characters had started to make this a less interesting series. This is a good example of how a change in venue and the addition of a new character can refresh a long-running series. I was getting ready to write the series off after so many years, but I think I'll check out the next book and see if the improvements hold. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
My least fav in the Decker/Lazerus series.

I rate it 2.5 stars ( )
  knersus | Oct 23, 2015 |

Kellerman, Fayeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrone, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shutterstock.comBroken glass cover imagesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiffany StudiosField of Lilies cover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

As a detective lieutenant with the LAPD, Peter Decker witnessed enough ugliness and chaos for a lifetime. Now, he and his devoted wife Rena Lazarus are ready to enjoy the quiet beauty of upstate New York, where they can be closer to their four adult children and their foster son. But working for the Greenbury Police department isn't as fulfilling as Decker hoped. While Rina has adapted beautifully to their new surroundings, Decker is underwhelmed and frustrated by his new partner, Tyler McAdams, a former Harvard student and young buck with a bad 'tude. Just when he thinks he's made a mistake, Decker is called to his first real crime here--a possible break-in at the local cemetery. At first, it seems like a false alarm until it's discovered that a mausoleum's stunning Tiffany panels have been replaced by forgeries. Then, a coed at one of the exclusive local colleges is brutally murdered. Poking into the hallowed halls of academia to find a killer, Decker and McAdams are drawn deep into a web of dark secrets, cold case crimes, international intrigue, and ruthless people who kill for sport. Suddenly, the job is anything but boring. This case just might be too much to handle and Decker will have to draw on every ounce of experience that he has garnered in the past thirty years as a Homicide cop. And then again, even that might not be enough!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,623,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible