Chestnut Street by Maeve Binchy

Chestnut Street

by Maeve Binchy

English (14)  Finnish (1)  All (15)
It was OK. just goes to show you that one's perception of life behind closed doors is only part of the story. ( )
  sraelling | May 1, 2017 |
Audiobook read by Sale Bermingham
3.5***

From the book jacket: Maeve Binchy imagined a street in Dublin with many characters coming and going, and every once in a while she would write about one of these people. She would then put the story in a drawer, “for the future,” she would say. (This collection of short stories was published after Binchy’s death.)

My Reactions
Binchy does a great job of giving us a picture of a neighborhood. Characters come in contact with one another, interact, leave, and return. They support one another, fight, make-up, deride, and defend in turns. They witness one another’s triumphs and defeats. But always there is a sense of community, of a shared culture and similar experiences. Binchy’s characters seem like real people; I recognize many of them though I live in Wisconsin and this is set in Dublin.

Sale Bermingham does a fine job narrating the audiobook. She really brought these characters to life. ( )
  BookConcierge | Mar 20, 2017 |
More like a 3 stars, but for nostalgia's sake I had to give it a 4. ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
A delightful book! Sweet stories of the people who live on Chestnut Street. Typical Maeve Binchey. The story, "Wrong Caption", had me laughing out loud. I really wanted a whole book to tell the stories of Molly and Anita and Jane from "Leap of Faith". Chestnut Street is a good book for those who need a happy ending. It has lots of them. The stories are only loosely tied together, not a neat package like Week in Winter. Sile Bermingham has a wonderful voice for this material. I recommend for those who like a nice sweet book where nothing really terrible happens. ( )
  njcur | Aug 27, 2016 |

While she was writing columns for The Irish Times and her best-selling novels, Maeve Binchy also had in mind to write a book that revolved around one street with many characters coming and going. Every once in a while, she would write about one these people. She would then put it in a drawer. "For the future," she would say. The future is now.

Just around the corner from St. Jarlath's Crescent (which readers will recognize from Minding Frankie) is Chestnut Street, where neighbors come and go. Behind their closed doors we encounter very different people with different life circumstances, occupations, and sensibilities. Written with the humor and understanding that are earmarks of Maeve Binchy's work, it is a pleasure to be part of this world with all of its joys and sorrows, to get to know the good and the bad, and ultimately to have our hearts warmed by her storytelling.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:48 -0400)

"While she was writing columns for The Irish Times and her best-selling novels, Maeve Binchy also had in mind to write a book that revolved around one street with many characters coming and going. Every once in a while, she would write about one these people. She would then put it in a drawer. "For the future," she would say. The future is now. Just around the corner from St. Jarlath's Crescent (which readers will recognize from Minding Frankie) is Chestnut Street, where neighbors come and go. Behind their closed doors we encounter very different people with different life circumstances, occupations, and sensibilities. Written with the humor and understanding that are earmarks of Maeve Binchy's work, it is a pleasure to be part of this world with all of its joys and sorrows, to get to know the good and the bad, and ultimately to have our hearts warmed by her storytelling"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,723,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible