Uzumaki (3-in-1, Deluxe Edition): Includes…

Uzumaki (3-in-1, Deluxe Edition): Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3 (edition 2013)

by Junji Ito (Author)

Series: Uzumaki (Omnibus 1-3)

A masterpiece of horror manga, now available in a deluxe hardcover edition! Kurôzu-cho, a small fogbound town on the coast of Japan, is cursed. According to Shuichi Saito, the withdrawn boyfriend of teenager Kirie Goshima, their town is haunted not by a person or being but by a pattern: uzumaki, the spiral, the hypnotic secret shape of the world. It manifests itself in everything from seashells and whirlpools in water to the spiral marks on people's bodies, the insane obsessions of Shuichi's father and the voice from the cochlea in our inner ear. As the madness spreads, the inhabitants of Kurôzu-cho are pulled ever deeper into a whirlpool from which there is no return!… (more)
Member:jtietze
Title:Uzumaki (3-in-1, Deluxe Edition): Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3
Authors:Junji Ito (Author)
Info:VIZ Media LLC (2013), Edition: Deluxe, Translation, 648 pages

Uzumaki: 3-in-1 Deluxe Edition by Junji Ito

English (10)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (12)
This was crazy good. The artwork, the disturbing imagery, the originality of the stories, just...all of it.
That's it. That's the review.

*I bought this with my hard earned cash. If I hadn't I would buy it right now because I'll be re-reading this, perhaps many times.* ( )
  Charrlygirl | Sep 6, 2020 |
Spirals, spirals everywhere.... not for everyone, not for the faint hearted but if you love bizarre horror mangas this is the one you’re looking for. ( )
1 vote TheCrow2 | Nov 17, 2019 |
Junji Ito is a really popular horror manga creator, I’ve read some one shots from him, and they are really mysterious and intriguing. If you like this genre of manga, I recommend you his works.

Uzumaki takes place in a town named Kurôzu-cho, this town has a curse involving spirals, there are spirals everywhere. The main characters are a girl named Kirie Goshima and a boy named Shuichi Saito, and since the beginning of the manga we can see how the curse affects the people around them and all the citizens in general, causing them to become obsessed or paranoid about spirals. This curse causes strange changes in the town and in the people living in it, some die in horrible ways and the main characters will have to try to escape or to find a way to stop this curse.

Uzumaki is the first horror manga I’ve ever read, as I said before, I’ve read some one shots by Junji Ito, but it’s a different experience to read a whole manga with a sequential story. At first I thought Uzumaki was a compilation of unrelated events, because there were random stories that started and ended in one chapter, but as the manga progresses, its more obvious that these events are related to one another and the link between them are the spirals. The story is intriguing and always keeps a mysterious atmosphere, making the reader wonder all the time what is happening, why and if the protagonists will be able to stop it.

The main characters are really relatable, they aren’t perfect and they get frustrated, or take wrong decisions, they are totally normal people. The character design and drawings in general are really particular, they don’t have the abnormal big eyes usually seen in mangas, they have a more realistic look, and the style of Junji Ito is easy to recognize.

I must say that to me the story was good until the end, I actually got confused in the finale and the explanation of the spiral curse wasn’t clear enough or conclusive enough to me, but I suppose it´s part of the charm of this manga, is mysterious till the end.

If you want to read an intriguing story full of strange events and inexplicable things, this manga if for you. If you like the horror manga genre, I would highly recommend it. ( )
  Rosechaser110 | Jul 17, 2019 |
Uzumaki: Spiral Into Horror
By Junji Ito
Viz Media

Uzumaki is a horror manga series, written and illustrated by Junji Ito. A uzumaki is a three dimensional spiral, like a whirlwind or vortex. In this exciting and terrifying series, each of the 19 stories are about an obsession with spirals-the fear of their mesmerizing effets.
Centered in Kurozu-cho, a small Japanese seaside town, cut off from the rest of the world, all ships coming close are sunk in a whirlpool. Air traffic is impossible with tornadoes. The only way out is through a tunnel, which once entered becomes a never ending spiral leading nowhere. Shuichi Saita and Kirie Goshima are 2 young friends who try to stop the horrors of the spiral. A man becomes mesmerized and commits suicide in his own bathtub. People begin transforming into giant snails. My favorites were 'Twisted Souls'; 'Jack In The Box'; 'Butterflies' and 'Medusa'.
This series originally appeared in the weekly Manga magazine Big Comic Spirits from 1998-1999.
If you like dark, creepy stories with creepy graphics to match, Ito is a master. A true genius of manga horror.
This was also made into a movie, I think but it does not closely follow the book and some of the characters are not in the movie. ( )
  over.the.edge | Oct 2, 2018 |
this was a creepy manga for sure. I don't know if it will give me nightmares, but it will certainly never leave me. the illustration was very much like Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and the story was really creative. ( )
  echoechokg | Sep 21, 2018 |

Junji Itoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Oniki, YujiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is Kurouzu-Cho, where I grew up.

Beware the spiral!
It makes monsters and madness
and destroys your town.
(yoyogod)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,781,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible