What a day it was at school! : poems by Jack…

What a day it was at school! : poems (edition 2006)

by Jack Prelutsky, Doug Cushman

Member:sarahholm
Title:What a day it was at school! : poems
Authors:Jack Prelutsky
Other authors:Doug Cushman
Info:New York : Greenwillow Books, c2006.

What a Day It Was at School! by Jack Prelutsky

These were very humerous poems about school that students would find silly and enjoyable. It is very relatable, and has great pictures to go along with them. ( )
  Oliviacap | Nov 21, 2016 |
Summary
This is an illustrated children’s poetry book. All of the poems in this book are rhyming and have an elementary theme that children can relate to. The poet writes about topics from a typical school day such as field trips, music class, studying and the lunchroom. This is a great poetry book for children to start with because of the humor and fun the author puts in each poem.
Personal Reaction
I enjoyed this book of kid’s poems mostly because they were humorous and easy to understand. One of my favorite poems from the book was a poem about a spelling test and it is written from the student’s perspective and includes deliberately misspelled words that the student missed on the spelling test. This is something that a young reader could definitely relate to and understand that being perfect is not always necessary.

Classroom Extension
1. This would be a fantastic introduction for a poetry unit. The teacher could read the poems and have the students identify the rhyming patterns.
2. Another extension could be that the students can write their own poem about something school related.
  km057441 | Nov 6, 2014 |
What a day at school is a book filled with several poems. I really didn't find one that I liked better than another. I liked all of them.

Personal reaction: This book reminded me of when I was a child and my nanny would write me short poems on every birthday card.

Classroom Extension: I would read the book to the kids and let them try and come up with their own poem or rhyme.
  mamacita9 | May 1, 2014 |
What a Day it was at School is another poetry book that I very much enjoyed. The book is composed of many different poems all about the animal's day at school. All of the poems seemed to be written in the same form on each page. This form is ABCB. I enjoyed this because it was consistent throughout the poems and I could almost make a beat of the poems while reading them in my head. The language of the book was also simple enough where students can easily find the rhyming words and can also read the book to themselves if it is given to them at the appropriate age. For example, "No one cares for teacher's pet, It's really sort of sad. he's always first to raise his hand, Which makes some people mad." Students can easily see that sad and mad rhyme when it is shown in poem format. I also liked that the different characters in the book were animals dressed in clothes. This is fun for students to see because the animals are wearing clothes, reading books, and doing things that children would do in school such as drawing, singing, and playing sports. ( )
  mooste2 | Mar 31, 2014 |
A funny collections of poems about school. Children will enjoy these entertaining poems. This book could be used as a mentor text for students learning to write poetry. ( )
  SJoachim | Nov 25, 2013 |

Jack Prelutskyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cushman, DougIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

School has never been so much fun!

When your science homework eats your dog, you spend lunch dodging flying food, and your backpack weighs a thousand pounds, you know you've got a great answer to the question, “What did you do at school today?”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:15 -0400)

A collection of poems about the ups and downs of school. Suggested level: junior, primary

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,613,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible