Asterix and the Picts by Jean-Yves Ferri

Asterix and the Picts

by Jean-Yves Ferri, Didier Conrad (Illustrator)

Series: Astérix (35)

311935,843 (3.57)11

English (5)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All (9)
Asterix and the Picts is an encouraging, if somewhat uneven, contribution to the long-running Asterix comic book series. I grew up with this stuff, so I will always appreciate any new offering that appeals to my sense of nostalgia, and Picts has certainly encouraged me to dig out some of my old Asterix albums from my childhood and flick through them again. But looking at it dispassionately, this isn't a classic Asterix adventure. It certainly isn't a return to the highs of the Goscinny years, but it is on the same level as the later Uderzo-written albums and it doesn't feel like an imposter or a pretender, or a cash-in to continue the franchise. The Asterix books still have their heart and still have our affection, but they don't really have the laughs or the thrills that they used to. The plotting of Picts is uneven (there is an elixir MacGuffin which turns out to be a red herring) and the new characters largely unmemorable (MacAroon lacks presence and the Roman centurion and the treacherous chieftain both lack malevolence and guile). A lot of the jokes also seem to fall flat, and the plot at times seems like a pale hybrid imitation of Asterix in Britain and Asterix and the Great Divide. But as a nostalgia trip, it is worth a look. And, of course, the older fans like myself are not really the target audience any more. But I think if I had a kid and I gave him Asterix and the Picts to read, he wouldn't fall in love with the Gaul's adventures to anything like the same extent that I did reading Asterix and the Cauldron, Asterix in Britain and Asterix the Gladiator when I was younger. ( )
  MikeFutcher | Mar 19, 2017 |
I first heard about the Scots translation of this book (Astérix and the Pechts) and thought "THAT SOUNDS AWESOME". I ended up reading the English version, translated from the French by Anthea Bell, and it was very good. I was constantly groaning at all the punny names and laughing at all the turns the story was taking. Lovers of puns and Scotland would probably like this book. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Feb 28, 2015 |
This was the first time in along time that I laughed out loud at an Asterix book. The new writer-illustrator team is a great improvement over the great illustrator Uderzo's sad performance when he tried to do his own writing after the passing of Goscinny. This doesn't have all the flavor of the original, but it's quite fun. ( )
  AmphipodGirl | Oct 14, 2014 |
The returning heroes

As a child I used to love going to the library and reading all the Asterix books they had, he was my favourite better than Tintin and with his friend Obelix they were my heroes as they always beat up the invading Romans. Oh how I have missed you my old friend, but not anymore! With a new writing team, Jean-Yves Ferri and Didier Conrad and they have continued in the tradition of Rene Goscinny and Albert Uderzo.

This time, Asterix and Obelix are off to Scotland to fight the Romans and collaborating Picts against the other clans. When a Pict is washed up outside their village all the women fall in love with him and the men folk cannot wait to send him back. Asterix and Obelix take him back to his clan in Scotland so he can find his love and marry her.

Along the way there are all the old puns, the old wit and plenty of humour of the slapstick variety. There is plenty of fighting and then Obelix finds his joy at the end when he can fight Romans.

This book is an excellent reminder as to why I originally loved the whole Asterix series and it is great to see the book back. For us of an older generation it is a return to form and we should be encouraging people to read this once again. I cannot recommend this fun book highly enough go and buy it for the kids, schools get it on your shelves today! ( )
  atticusfinch1048 | Oct 28, 2013 |
For an Asterix not by René Goscinny or Albert Uderzo this isn't bad at all. The story is not quite as funny or sharp as they would have made it, but the drawings are very true to the original - there are only a few places where it was distinct that someone other than Uderzo had done the art. I had my doubts, but I'm quite happy with this - better than having no Asterix in any case. ( )
  -Eva- | Oct 25, 2013 |

Ferri, Jean-YvesAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Conrad, DidierIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jöken, KlausTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, Alun CeriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selten hielt ein strengerer Winter das ansonsten so heitere Aremorica in seinen klirrenden Klauen gefangen.
Narratio argentea = Reden ist Silber

When Asterix and Obelix rescue a mysterious Pict named MacAroon, they must journey to Caledonia, now Scotland, to return him to his lady love, Camomilla, the adopted daughter of the king. Can the Gauls reunite MacAroon and Camomilla and enjoy some Roman-bashing along the way?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible