Callander Square by Anne Perry

Callander Square (1980)

by Anne Perry

Series: Charlotte and Thomas Pitt (2)

Recently added byolegalCA, elsebeok, delphimo, private library, eppish, lindamae45

English (20)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (23)
I enjoy reading an Anne Perry novel, but I like the William Monk series better. I am surprised that Charlotte is able to hide her pregnancy from the general public, but I guess that the style of that time camouflaged her condition. I cannot believe that no one noticed a corpse at the deserted house, I guess that neighbors are not nosy. Perry does well in describing the clothes and living conditions of the middle to upper income class, and hints at the problems below the surface. So many times, I thought I might know the person who buried the infants, but was mildly surprised to discover the culprit. I look forward to continuing this series. ( )
  delphimo | Nov 30, 2014 |
Callander Square by Anne Perry is the second Thomas and Charlotte Pitt novel.

The author provides excellent descriptions of the people, society and status of the Victorian era.

In this book, Inspector Thomas Pitt takes a back seat and I did miss him and his delightful interactions with Charlotte. Sister Emily plays the detective here, paralleling the official investigation, but using her social connections to do so.

The female characters are strong and sometimes quite wise and practical, much more so than their husbands. Ms. Perry has an amusingly cynical view of marriage.

A very readable historical mystery.

Note: I'm not sure why the publisher decided to tack on an excerpt from Paragon Walk, the next book in the series. The excerpt was 20% of the book. At first I felt a bit cheated, thinking I'd been shortchanged, but when I thought about it a little more deeply, I realized this type of promotion is now quite common. ( )
  Zumbanista | Sep 10, 2014 |
This was much better than the first book I still have issues with the depiction of the relationship between Charlotte and Thomas Pitt. They almost seem like 2 people operating in separate worlds that have little to nothing to do with each other. I have heard such great things about this series, but part of me thinks I will have to stick with the series a long time to like it as much as others. The mystery elements tend to be fun, but not mind blowing. This isn't always a bad thing, I do enjoy the Amelia Peabody books mostly for the relationship between the characters rather than the mysteries. I will probably try to read the next book, but I will definitely be checking it out of the library instead of buying it. ( )
  caittilynn | Sep 15, 2013 |
#2 in the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series. In this story the deaths of two infants are really background to the story of the houses and people who live in the London high society neighborhood of Callander Square. As Thomas investigates, with a sincere desire to find the culprit, secrets about each household come out including sex with the servants, love affairs, revenge, gossip, politicking in society and murder. The 'rules' of society fascinate me (thought I would not have wanted to live with them) and make me wonder about the lengths that humans will go to to create order in their environment. This is the first book in which Charlotte involves herself in one of Thomas' cases. Her 'help' provides more clues as well as more mystery. This book, like the first one, has a point during a couple of pages where the whole mystery becomes solved in Thomas' mind. This is a little disconcerting. I read the section a couple of times to make sure I was understanding what the author meant. Her style of writing comes across as she gets to a point and realizes that that everything is still very up in the air and has to wrap it up quickly, so she does. I know that sometimes a person thinks about something for a long time, letting the pieces tumble around in the back of the mind and they suddenly do all fit into place. I am not sure that this is a satisfying way to write a mystery. This is the second time I have read this book. While I didn't remember the culprit when I started to read it, the story was familiar and the second reading allowed me to focus on Thomas and Charlotte's life together as well as Charlotte's interactions with her friends and sister. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
A busy schedule not my disinterest resulted in my reading "Callander Square" over a much longer period of time. In fact my continued enjoyment of Anne Perry's Charlotte & Thomas Pitt series has me wishing my schedule was less hectic so as I can begin the next book in the series "Paragon Walk"

Of the 3 Pitt series books I've read thus far I enjoyed "Callander Square" the most, since it took me until the final 10 pages to identify the murderer. As much as I like to solve them early on for my ego. I do enjoy a book that keeps me guessing until the end and "Callander Square" did just that ( )
1 vote ScottKalas | Jun 10, 2013 |

Anne Perryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Damiani, MaddalenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The autumn air hung mild and faintly misty, and the grass in Callander Square was dappled yellow with fallen leaves in the late afternoon sun.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449209997, Mass Market Paperback)

"Murder fans who prefer their crimes with a touch of class should heat some scones and nestle back for the afternoon."
ATLANTA JOURNAL & CONSTITUTION
Murders just didn't take place in fashionable Callander Square, so Inspector Pitt's well-bred wife Charlotte couldn't resist finding out why one had. Suddenly there she was, rattling the closets of the very rich, listening to backstair gossip, and unearthing truths that could push even the most proper aristocrat to murder....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:55 -0400)

When the bodies of two infants are discovered in the gardens of a quiet, elegant square in London, Charlotte Ellison Pitt, a Victorian policeman's wife, and her sister Emily conduct an unorthodox inquiry into the secret scandals of Callander Square.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,322,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible