Cruelty: Episode One by Edward Lorn

Cruelty: Episode One

by Edward Lorn

I won this on one of the giveaways on Booklikes. I love audiobooks and this one did not disappoint. So far I'm not a fan of serial books which this one is, but hey I gave it a try. When I started it I was a bit disappointed the narration sounded robotic, with out any feeling into the words. That changed quickly as the emotions grew more intense so did the narrator, it was very well done. I felt the horror of these people as they met with Cruelty. Oh and Cruelty what a nasty evil he is, shutter worthy. The author is evil, he fit in just about every phobia in to the story. Remember the killer dolls from Twilight Zone, the running from a hour on the road in Christine ? Well if you do the terror may be worse for you. :D Oh then lets add, dark roads, all alone with no phone, and how about some deafness so you can't hear the big bad sneak up on you ? Yep, it is in the book. Holy Burnt Toast, this author had me cringing in fearful delight. He warns you, kind of him right ? He tells you that there is no HEA, no wrap up that you will be left hanging on for the nest installment. I know, he just keeps getting more kind. He understated, my fingernails are stuck in solid rock and I'm hanging off the dang cliff. Bravo Mr. Lorn, you are truly wicked and I want more. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Edward Lorn delivers with this creative, lean-and-mean story machine. The first installment of the CRUELTY series delivered exactly what the author promised in the foreword, plenty of action with a great cliff-hanger ending, that served up just the right amount of spooky thrills and horror fun to simultaneously satisfy and leave me wanting more.

Around a 40-minute read for me, I think I might make this series a Monday night ritual for the next several weeks.

Well done, and highly recommended for afficionados of horror that doesn't take itself too seriously. ( )
  Evans-Light | Nov 8, 2015 |
*Book source ~ Purchased on Amazon

There’s a serial killer out there and it’s name is Cruelty. But Cruelty is just the tool for the true serial killer. Who else is out there waiting for some unsuspecting stranger to cross paths with Cruelty?

This is Episode One of a 10-part serial and it starts out with a prostitute and a deaf guy walking down the road. No, really. I was like…wtf is going on here? But having read Lorn’s work before I knew this was only the benign beginning and everything was about to go to shit for the characters. I hate when I’m right.

Poor 19-yr-old Will only wants to get laid. His friend Kirk sets him up with a prostitute he happens to know to get the job done, but Will has no idea this one little decision by his small head is going to be the absolute worst one in his entire life. I’m sure there are many guys who have made those same kinds of decisions at one point or another, but for Will it means his decision puts him in the path of Cruelty.

Then there’s Innis who catches her skunk of a boyfriend cheating on her. Her heat of the moment decision to grab her dog Merlo and take off is another such bad decision that certainly didn’t seem bad at the time.

Texas State Trooper Tom Morgan is on his routine nightly patrol when the B&E call comes in. He probably figured it would be a typical call, teens causing trouble or drug addicts trying to score some cash. Little does he know…

This story is well-written and the different POVs come together to dovetail very nicely. The creepiest POV is Cruelty’s. Who wants to be in the mind of a giant baby doll serial killer? Not me. My only complaint about this story is Cruelty’s physical self. I just can’t seem to get scared enough of a giant baby doll. Yes, it is a serial killer. That part of Cruelty is definitely Depends-worthy, but maybe I’m not appropriately scared of Cruelty because baby dolls don’t creep me out. I’m not sure, but the rest of this story is creeptastic and horrifying in a Holy Shit! kind of way and don’t get me started on Cruelty’s Master. Gah! I’m hooked and can’t wait to see what happens next. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Mar 24, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,395,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible