The Resurrection Maker by Glenn Cooper

The Resurrection Maker (2013)

by Glenn Cooper

English (5)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (7)
This is quite a fascinating book which, although set in modern times, needs the actions of figures from history to assist the development of the plot. Historical interludes, involving Judas Iscariot, King Arthur, Thomas Mallory (author of Morte d’Arthur) and Antonio Gaudi, designer of Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. All of these feature at some point as Arthur Mallory, a descendant of Thomas, pursues a quest for the Holy Grail. Assisted by a French girl, Claire, who is a physicist, he is also the subject of intense scrutiny by a group calling themselves the Kem, Khem or even Qem, a centuries old organisation who wish to get their hands on the Grail. They were all alchemists seeking power.
I have read a number of Glenn Cooper’s books before, and they are always intriguing and well developed. His research is excellent, although I must admit that I did not look up everything that he included. My opinion of Merlin has been altered by his inclusion in the book, assisting King Arthur, but for his own devious ends. It cracks along at a good pace and held my attention all the way through. The book raised a number of questions, but didn’t actually challenge Christian beliefs which it could so easily have done. One remaining question at the end – whose resurrection? As a hopeless romantic I do hope that it was Claire’s.
  Alan1946 | Jun 25, 2016 |
The Resurrection Maker is a modern day quest for the Holy Grail, with brief forays back in time to AD 33 and the final days of Jesus Christ, to 498 AD with King Arthur and to the 1400’s with Thomas Malory-author of the famous ‘Le Morte de Arthur’. Glenn Cooper blends fact and fiction, history and modern day to create an exciting quest. The story gets a bit bogged down in science (I admit it, I know nothing of physics with it’s quarks and neutrinos!). Yet it makes for a fascinating theory for the Grail. ( )
  bluebird_ | Jan 19, 2016 |
Arthur Malory is a direct descendant of Thomas Malory, author of legendary “Le Morte D’Arthur,” He has always had an obsession with the Holy Grail and has always believed that the Holy Grail was a real object, just hidden somewhere. The quest for the Grail takes Mallory to a variety of places while trying to be one step ahead of the Khem, who believe that the Holy Grail represents a way of achieving eternal life through the power of science rather than through any type of mythical powers.

I enjoyed the way the author explored the story and legend by using flashbacks set in biblical and medieval times. I think the book started out great but hit a snag when he focused on the elaborate chemistry and physics part of the book. The book is plotted very intelligently and I couldn't help but compare it to Steve Berry, who does a better job at this type of genre. Nevertheless, I thought the book was well worth reading. I definitely plan to read another book by this author.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Another great read by Glenn Cooper! This book was also a totally different experience than the other two I have read by this author, but again the characters and story do not disappoint. This book explores the search for the Holy Grail and switches back and forth between a historical tale and a more present-day search.

There are some really neat concepts in this hunt for the Holy Grail. I really enjoy books that manage to give me a bit of a history and science lessons wrapped up in an entertaining read. (I don't want to know if it isn't totally accurate lol). Another recommended read. ( )
  booksgaloreca | Feb 22, 2015 |
In The Resurrection Maker, Arthur Malory is part of a group searching for the Holy Grail. But there is another group, the Qem, who are also searching and will let nothing get in their way. The story switches from the origins of the Grail to the present day search. Just exactly makes the Grail so special? And what is the right course of action? A mixture of adventure, Arthurian legend, resurrection and science, this story grabs your attention right from the start. ( )
  aztwinmom | Nov 12, 2014 |

Arthur Malory, a seemingly ordinary Englishman, has a burning interest in the Grail, a passion inherited from his father. Thrust into a life-or-death quest to find the precious artifact, he will discover not only his own amazing heritage but the power that the Grail possesses, a power that informs the resurrection of Christ and explosively merges spiritual and scientific thought.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,738,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible