Fallsy Downsies by Stephanie Domet

Fallsy Downsies

by Stephanie Domet

811,035,133 (4)None

Fallsy Downsies quickly became my favourite new read of the year,and I am thrilled to have encountered the work of such a warm and intelligent author. Domet presents the story of an aging folk music icon and his young travelling companion and protégé with sensivity born of a deep love for the characters, and a warm understanding of Canadian folk music history and the lived reality of its practitioners. The female lead of the novel's trio of protagonists was a particularly delightful surprise, deftly side-stepping the expected roles of siren or muse while navigating her own personal journey with integrity and authenticity. At some points this novel made me cry. At many others, it made my heart swell with respect. Throughout, its imagery took me on a beautifully rendered journey "on the road" that I wanted to never end. Furthermore, Fallsy Downsies is not a long novel and is a highly engaging and accessible read - I have already given over a half dozen copies as gifts. Highly, highly recommended. ( )
  Robyn_Bradshaw | Mar 1, 2014 |
The extended road trip as a metaphor for an existential journey is a familiar formula. Domet’s take on it succeeds by alternating the three perspectives... [...] This humorous, poignant novel about finding purpose and meaning also illustrates the harsh reality of life as a Canadian artist.

Lansing Meadows has one last shot to get it right. With the clock ticking, he sets out on the road one last time, to sing his songs to anyone who'll listen, and to try to right his wrongs, before it's too late. "Fallsy Downsies" is a novel about aging, art, celebrity and modern Canadian culture, told through the lens of Lansing Meadows, the godfather of Canadian folk music ; Evan Cornfield, the up and comer who idolizes him ; and Dacey Brown, a young photographer who finds herself along for the rider.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible