Vengeance Follows: A Novel by Scott Lax

Vengeance Follows: A Novel (2013)

by Scott Lax

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was a quick read. I liked the flow and pace of the novel, and really grew to like the characters. I felt that the ending was a bit anti-climactic, but it was still a good ending for this novel. I'll be looking out for more books by this author.

I received a free copy of this novel through Library Thing Early Reviewers in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  shsb | Aug 13, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as an Early Reviewer win.

This book was absolutely incredible! The plot was gripping and constantly kept me on the edge of my seat. Furthermore, there was fantastic and in depth character development and the writing itself was hauntingly beautiful. Good plot movement, as well.

I highly recommend this book to fans of any genre but especially those interested in mystery, suspense, and drama novels. ( )
  TexLiz19 | Jul 7, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as an ebook free from the author through LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review. A man loses the love of his life to a brain tumor felt to possibly be the result of past head trauma and seeks revenge against the man who raped and beat her years before. The book follows him through the stages of grief as he looks for resolution for the death of his wife. He develops many wonderful and caring friendships during his journey through grief that help him to find peace and resolution. This is a good story and I really enjoyed the descriptive writing style of the author. I definitely recommend this book. ( )
  iadam | Sep 5, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a LibraryThing early review copy. I can't go any further, the story is not moving at all. This book is going into the abandoned book pile. ( )
  ssimon2000 | Jul 17, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wasn't sure I would like this book when I requested it, and even when I began reading it. The first part of the book details the love story of Sam and Sophie in Paris, only to end in Sophie's death from a brain tumor. However, the meat of the story is what Sam does after he learns the cause of her tumor--the head trauma she received while being raped by her boyfriend years before. For awhile, Sam tries to escape the desire for revenge by moving to a small town on the coast of France. But, not even his adopted cat soothes his pain. He finally moves back to the US to the town where Sophie's attacker lived. The reader wonders what Sam will do...will he confront the man? stalk him? kill him? His intent seems clear, but with time becomes complicated by the good people he meets in that town. The ending was not entirely what I'd expected.

This book, received for review from LibraryThing, had less action than one would imagine, but Sam's emotional journey was really the story. The author adeptly tells that story. Some of the secondary characters (e.g., Johnny, Rachel) could use more development to add interest--seemed a little too stereotypical and a little too shallow. More development there could have led to a few subplots. But, maybe that's not a bad thing, as it helped me to focus more on Sam's stages of grief. At times this was a tough read, due to the brutal nature of Sophie's attacker. But, overall, it was an interesting tale of one man's journey through the stages of grief as he tries to find a suitable revenge for his wife's death. ( )
  catlinp | May 25, 2014 |
Where vice is vengeance follows.
- Scottish Proverb
For Lydia and Finn
She stood in slanted sun that filtered through the flat’s single window.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Scott Lax's book Vengeance Follows was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,073,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible