Visitors by Orson Scott Card

Visitors (2014)

by Orson Scott Card

A crazy conclusion to a time bending trilogy. Overall enjoyed the series. And the this last entry was reasonably good if convoluted. ( )
  KenMcLain | Jul 18, 2017 |
I gave the previous two books 4 stars, but I found this one to be a bit too chaotic. I had the feeling there was quite a bit of superfluous stuff in here. E.g., I really liked the stories of Rigg getting to know the different folds, but he did not do anything with the information he learned there. The first prehistoric bit was interesting, but really, why that whole second piece? Plus the stupid part where what's-her-name dies and Noxon makes the most ridiculous decision to save her 'original life'. As if there was anything to save, since it didn't exist yet. It also goes against everything Rigg learned in the story with the rapist. Sure, they are two people, so Noxon wouldn't have known, but what was the point of putting this in? It was stupid and unnecessary, since what's-her-name could easily have gone with Noxon as who she was in the first place. There was no need to change the whole world for this.
Then the parts that did matter got glossed over a bit. We finally get to the real reason Garden was destroyed, and then it all gets arranged in no time.

A second peeve I have were the female roles. Of course, we're talking about OSC here, so you can't expect a whole lot in that department. Still, it didn't bother me too much in the first books. But in this one, I really didn't like the whole business with Leaky, who is so unable to control her emotions she won't hear Umbo out for several times, even if it will mean not getting Leaf back. She won't even raise her own baby, just because she doesn't remember carrying him. Then I started thinking, who else is there? Param at least is growing up, but she still doesn't make the most convincing power woman. There is what's-her-name, who seems to only exist as a love interest. And she says that women are all attracted to power. Sigh. Oh, and Param's mother, the evil woman who would murder her own children. Perhaps the only acceptable one is Auntie Wind and she hardly has any role. Then the thing that seriously annoyed me. The mice go with Noxon on an expedition. They take all pregnant female mice, and... one male mouse to be the leader. Seriously?!? Not even the mice, who are so cooperative and all, can consider taking another pregnant female mouse as leader? Would have been more sensible,more mouse babies after all, and since they have manipulated the DNA, there is no need for males for DNA diversity.
Well,it's not his worst, but it is a pity, really. ( )
  zjakkelien | Jan 2, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Visitors Series: Pathfinder Author: Orson Scott Card Rating: 4.5 of 5 Stars Genre: SFF Pages: 609 Synopsis: Rigg, Noxon, Umbo and the others all do their own things to try to save the planet Garden. Noxon returns to earth. Rigg and Umbo try to save one of the Walls and set things up for yet another wall and the facemask'ers. Time and Causality bend, change, trade places and generally act in such a way that I am thankful we humans don't have to deal with those actions and their consequences. My Thoughts: It has been 2 years since I read Ruin but to be honest, it feels like 2 months ago. I knocked off a half-star because I'm not sure how these books overall will stand up to re-reads. Some of the other reviews I'd read stated that the readers were disappointed in the ending and so I was not really excited about this. Thankfully, this was on the same level as the previous 2 books, finishes the trilogy very nicely and still gave me lots of action and rationalistic beings acting rational. Thank goodness. Card put a lot of thought into the exigencies of time travel and how it would work AND what the moral implications of such would be. Like I said about the other books, this was a cool rush of cold water. Especially when I see all the crap out there about teens and romances and such. I want to scream out "Use your brains!!!" but obviously the characters in aforementioned books can't do such, because their authors aren't using theirs. And if you're thinking that is slam, it certainly is. A lot of ideas from Ender's Game are present, such as genocide, right and wrong, absolutes vs morals of the moment, etc. Also, if you're expecting tense expectation, forget it. We're dealing with multiple time travelers here, all of who want the same thing and are working towards the same goal. Overall, I enjoyed this trilogy, am glad I bought them in hardcover and am glad that Card can still write some good stuff. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
From the internationally bestselling author of Ender's Game comes the riveting finale to the story of Rigg, a teenager who possesses a secret talent that allows him to see the paths of people's pasts.

In Pathfinder, Rigg joined forces with another teen with special talents on a quest to find Rigg's sister and discover the true depth and significance of their powers. Then Rigg's story continued in Ruins as he was tasked to decipher the paths of the past before the arrival of a destructive force with deadly intentions. Now, in Visitors, Rigg's journey comes to an epic and explosive conclusion as everything that has been building up finally comes to pass, and Rigg is forced to put his powers to the test in order to save his world and end the war once and for all.
  lkmuir | Nov 30, 2015 |
As a conclusion to a creative series, this book is pretty good. However, it still contains the same content as it's two predecessors. OSC does a good job with the transition, reminding the reader of some critical items that might have been forgotten if a long time has elapsed since the reading of books 1 & 2. Then, it takes off. The story lines are interesting--they are adequately separated, then return together. I still have trouble believing that prepubescent teens can save the worlds, or that the adults wouldn't just bat them aside. There was also a significant amount of philosophical dialogue that's both tedious and unbelievable for the characters. OSC's ideas of time travel are engrossing and different from other sci-fi authors...who can say? ( )
  buffalogr | Jul 22, 2015 |
To Kathleen Bellamy
Part of every project,
Shepherd of so many sheep:
Thank you for the freedom and support
The Place: From the surface of the planet Garden, it looks like a plateau surrounded by a steep cliff, with a mountain in the middle.

"Rigg's journey comes to an epic and explosive conclusion as everything that has been building up finally comes to pass, and Rigg is forced to put his powers to the test in order to save his world and end the war once and for all"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,568,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible