Delicious! by Ruth Reichl

by Ruth Reichl

I still haven't learned how to not read a fiction book cover to cover in one sitting. Sat down at 10pm to get started on this book I've had checked out for several months (staff don't have overdue fines, thank goodness) because the guilt was overwhelming, and I was sucked in so fast I had no chance of setting it down and going to bed like a reasonable person.

The characters felt as real as the real people Reichl wrote about in her memoirs that I enjoyed reading, and if I'm honest, I'm a little sad that they aren't real. I don't want a sequel -- the rest of the story can't be nearly as interesting as this one -- but I do hope she writes more stories. ( )
  eclecticlibrarian | Nov 3, 2015 |
I have read 2 memoirs by Reichel and enjoyed her writing style. Once again, this work of fiction was quite enjoyable. As always, Reichel writes with a passion for food and the good life, making her books wonderful for guilty-pleasure reading. I thought the story of a young girl who works for a food magazine was perfect for Reichel, and the sub-plots (sister who died, Sol, Sammy, Mr. Complainer) were a good fit. My only issue with the book is that the voice of Lulu did not sound like an adolescent; in fact, most adults would not be so aware and sensitive. Sorry, but it sounded like Reichel trying to sound like a young precocious girl. I found those passages distracting. Otherwise, I enjoyed the book. ( )
  peggybr | Oct 28, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have read quite a few of Ruth Reichl’s books and enjoyed them. This one just didn’t grab me.

There were great descriptions of food in this fictional foodie memoir and of course the recipes included are always appreciated. The characters just didn’t come to life for me. They were faded and I never got lost in the storyline, rather I realized I was reading a story. Does that make sense? Hard to describe it other than use the analogy of watching a good quality program and getting caught up in the events and people as opposed being aware the actors are acting out the parts.

Billie Breslin, our main character, goes through her life mourning the death of her sister. This overshadows all she does and after a bit….it just got old......

Billie spurned her talent for baking after suffering a tragedy in her life. Then she goes off and works for a food magazine…..this seems to be an unlikely scenario. As did the “my Fair Lady” transformation from dumpy girl to a glamorous woman.

My favorite parts were the letters between Lulu and James Beard during WW II. The author gave great detail of what life was like during WW II in small town USA. I wish there had been more of that in addition to the main characters (in present time) being fleshed out.

I will read more of Reichl’s books, the foodie memoirs, but pass on her fiction publications.
  SquirrelHead | Jun 26, 2015 |
DELICIOUS is DELIGHTFUL! I was hooked on the book after the first page. The characters ( even Sherman) are wonderful and the sights, sounds, & smells of New York kept me reading page after page! I received this book from goodreads in exchange for a review ( )
  DDJTJ | Jun 25, 2015 |
Read it in two sittings, one day. Light, v. enjoyable ( )
  ngelina | May 24, 2015 |
To the memory of Marion Cunningham. I miss her every day.
"You should have used fresh ginger!"
History is the story we tell the future about the past, and we have an obligation to get it right.
I thought that when people spoke of someone's face 'lighting up,' it was merely a figure of speech.
The only thing that will make a soufflé fall is s if it knows that you're afraid if it.

Working as a public relations hotline consultant for a once-prestigious culinary magazine, Billie Breslin unexpectedly enters a world of New York restaurateurs and artisanal purveyors while reading World War II letters exchanged between a plucky 12-year-old and James Beard.… (more)

30 wanted3 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delicious! by Ruth Reichl was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,850,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible