Delicious! by Ruth Reichl

Delicious!

by Ruth Reichl

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have read quite a few of Ruth Reichl’s books and enjoyed them. This one just didn’t grab me.

There were great descriptions of food in this fictional foodie memoir and of course the recipes included are always appreciated. The characters just didn’t come to life for me. They were faded and I never got lost in the storyline, rather I realized I was reading a story. Does that make sense? Hard to describe it other than use the analogy of watching a good quality program and getting caught up in the events and people as opposed being aware the actors are acting out the parts.

Billie Breslin, our main character, goes through her life mourning the death of her sister. This overshadows all she does and after a bit….it just got old......

Billie spurned her talent for baking after suffering a tragedy in her life. Then she goes off and works for a food magazine…..this seems to be an unlikely scenario. As did the “my Fair Lady” transformation from dumpy girl to a glamorous woman.

My favorite parts were the letters between Lulu and James Beard during WW II. The author gave great detail of what life was like during WW II in small town USA. I wish there had been more of that in addition to the main characters (in present time) being fleshed out.

I will read more of Reichl’s books, the foodie memoirs, but pass on her fiction publications.
  SquirrelHead | Jun 26, 2015 |
DELICIOUS is DELIGHTFUL! I was hooked on the book after the first page. The characters ( even Sherman) are wonderful and the sights, sounds, & smells of New York kept me reading page after page! I received this book from goodreads in exchange for a review ( )
  DDJTJ | Jun 25, 2015 |
Read it in two sittings, one day. Light, v. enjoyable ( )
  ngelina | May 24, 2015 |
I listened to this book. There were too many story lines here for this to be a completely satisfying read. I wish Reichl had picked one and gone deep. ( )
  rglossne | Apr 22, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm a bit remiss with my review - I thought I had done on already, so I'll do my best to remember what I can of the book. First off, Reichl is one of my favorite food authors so I was lucky to get a copy of her first work of fiction! I found the story could have been fine-tuned a bit more. Bilie Breslin is hired on in public relations for an old, established and struggling gourmet magazine, Delicious, based out of an old mansion in New York City. Through a series of events, Billie comes across long-lost correspondence between famous cookbook writer, James Beard and a young girl during the Depression. It was an enjoyable book for me - right up my alley! ( )
  DFED | Apr 10, 2015 |
To the memory of Marion Cunningham. I miss her every day.
"You should have used fresh ginger!"
History is the story we tell the future about the past, and we have an obligation to get it right.
I thought that when people spoke of someone's face 'lighting up,' it was merely a figure of speech.
The only thing that will make a soufflé fall is s if it knows that you're afraid if it.

Working as a public relations hotline consultant for a once-prestigious culinary magazine, Billie Breslin unexpectedly enters a world of New York restaurateurs and artisanal purveyors while reading World War II letters exchanged between a plucky 12-year-old and James Beard.… (more)

203 wanted3 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delicious! by Ruth Reichl was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,143,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible