Delicious! by Ruth Reichl

Delicious!

by Ruth Reichl

Recently added byINorris, RapidCityPubLib, DFED, ansate, lynnepr, laurathequeen, private library, bwightman

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm a bit remiss with my review - I thought I had done on already, so I'll do my best to remember what I can of the book. First off, Reichl is one of my favorite food authors so I was lucky to get a copy of her first work of fiction! I found the story could have been fine-tuned a bit more. Bilie Breslin is hired on in public relations for an old, established and struggling gourmet magazine, Delicious, based out of an old mansion in New York City. Through a series of events, Billie comes across long-lost correspondence between famous cookbook writer, James Beard and a young girl during the Depression. It was an enjoyable book for me - right up my alley! ( )
  DFED | Apr 10, 2015 |
Great book. ( )
  jaysbooks | Mar 26, 2015 |
I loved RR's memoirs....this is her first foray into fiction, and I'm afraid it shows....of course, I enjoyed the food references (sights and sounds of the 'Fontanari's Deli, especially), would even try the recipe @ the back for the GingerBread Cake, but am not crazy about gingerbread.....the premise is interesting (the whole letter thing), the connection with James Beard....BUT, BUT, BUT, it reads like a book written for a teenager....the makeover stuff, the love scenes, the predictability is embarrassingly sophomoric....I had high hopes for this novel, but they were dashed....maybe improvement is in her writing-fiction future (or maybe not...)....Gemma ( )
  Gemma. | Mar 22, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Delicious! is a first novel by the long-time food writer and former editor of Gourmet Magazine, Ruth Reichl, and it’s a pleasant read. It makes a good book club choice because the themes are clear and there is a little something for everyone – a young woman’s journey into adulthood; a library scavenger hunt; budding romances; a race against time; a blend of contemporary New York life with small town life in World War II connected by old letters; and food! Enough talk about food and cooking to satisfy foodie readers. ( )
  baystateRA | Mar 22, 2015 |
is it too easy to call a book titled delicious! 'sweet'? probably, but i'm going to do it anyway. this is a sweet debut novel from nonfiction/memoir ace ruth reichl. i get really nervous when people, writers, move from nonfiction over to fiction, but i am such a fan of reichl's that it was hard to resist giving her novel a try. it's a nice book. it has some problems and it's a bit light...some would call it 'chick lit', i guess - but i enjoyed reading this story despite my own misgivings. in the acknowledgments, reichl thanks Ann Patchett !!!woot!!!), so this thrilled me. hey - if you are writing your first novel and you need advice and can call on someone like ann patchett, that's a good call to make. i love patchett and to think she had any part in making this a better book is a good thing.

so, i am not a foodie (stupid word). in fact, my palate is an embarrassment to palates the world over. i am probably a chef's worst nightmare. between being a supertaster (which while an awesome thing to be because the word 'super' is right in it, wreaks havoc with how things taste), and having a few (like, 6 things. that's it) very serious food allergies (anaphylactic in nature. developed in my 30s after my system took a bad hit during a major lupus flare), so it makes me, sad and i totally know what i am missing out on. oh - i'm totally looking at you strawberries and oranges!) - people who love to cook, professionally or otherwise, find me and my 'needs' offensive. (for the record, i am very quiet about all of this. i don't make a big deal about it and i am very used to just eating around whatever's going on. but other people make a big deal and then it turns into a whole embarrassing thing - a thing i was trying to avoid in the first place by not talking about it. haha!! sigh!) meanwhile, i am also a creature of habit in life and with my food. so welcome to boring city, batman!

but the thing is, i love to read about food - cookbooks, memoirs, magazines, stuff online, novels that feature food. i love how much other people love food. (and don't get me wrong. i love food... just in a limited way.) i love how they experiment with food. i love learning about how they came to love food and focus on it so much. it all fascinates me to no end.

so this is a long ramble way of saying that this novel was comfortable for me. the foodie (still a stupid word) parts were interesting and not too far out there - though early on in her new job billie and a coworker go to a friend's new restaurant (called 'nowhere') and it sounded like my idea of a dining nightmare - pig ears, snouts and hooves. the shop where billie had her p/t job - fontanari's - sounded like an awesome place to work and be. and the magazine side of the storyline was fine. but i think reichl tried to do too much with it. there's mention of a snowball cookie in the book. this cookie is basically just a lot of things a 10yo might think makes for a great cookie, jammed into a sugary super-cookie. it's too much for most people. and this story is a bit of a snowball cookie. and they way the novel was edited into 3 books is a bit puzzling, so i don' think that served the story well.

overall, though, if you are just in need of a nice story that isn't terribly taxing on your brain, this could be a good choice for you. i can see it being a fun vacation read for many people. it's easy to be carried away by this novel - it's fun and it's got a bit of a sentimental heart. but don't read it if you are feeling hungry. or, read it with a side of cheese. it will maybe make you hungry for all the cheese. ( )
  DawsonOakes | Jan 14, 2015 |
To the memory of Marion Cunningham. I miss her every day.
"You should have used fresh ginger!"
History is the story we tell the future about the past, and we have an obligation to get it right.
I thought that when people spoke of someone's face 'lighting up,' it was merely a figure of speech.
The only thing that will make a soufflé fall is s if it knows that you're afraid if it.

Working as a public relations hotline consultant for a once-prestigious culinary magazine, Billie Breslin unexpectedly enters a world of New York restaurateurs and artisanal purveyors while reading World War II letters exchanged between a plucky 12-year-old and James Beard.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delicious! by Ruth Reichl was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,599,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible