Delicious! by Ruth Reichl

Delicious!

by Ruth Reichl

Recently added bysdg729, CAGEYM, jags66, LorriMilli, Avcin, Judy_Winkler, private library, What_Katie_Read, AgentR, Margeryw

Enjoyable story. You have to suspend disbelief A LOT, because there are many implausible coincidences. But I enjoyed listening to the story unfold - a well read audio book. ( )
  pridel | Oct 30, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as an ARC and have been looking at it sitting on my shelf...so I could savor the anticipation of experiencing it. I have read most of Ruth Reichl's non-fiction book, I love to cook, I watch Top Chef and other cooking show on TV, I guess I could consider myself a foodie.

How I wanted to like this book! I did enjoy the descriptions of foods and cooking and it did activate my salivary glands, but as far as a novel...it just did not grab me.
Writers are told to write what they know, so the setting of a girl working for a food magazine made sense to me. (Reichl worked for Gourmet magazine.) But so much about the actual characters just didn't ring true for me, felt a bit contrived.
I did enjoy the mystery and especially enjoyed the letters discovered that had been written to James Beard.
I do not regret reading it, but I think I would stick to reading Reichl's food reviews, food memoirs...non-fiction is her genre. ( )
  SignoraEdie | Oct 11, 2014 |
This is a very enjoyable fiction piece by Reichl who is known for her NYT’s restaurant reviews and memoirs. This takes place in the present and centers around a young journalist working for a food publication. After a bit of a slow start, but I was shortly engrossed in the mystery, romance, and interesting wartime correspondence with James Beard that ensued. SRH ( )
  StaffReads | Sep 26, 2014 |
This is a very enjoyable fiction piece by Reichl who is known for her NYT’s restaurant reviews and memoirs. This takes place in the present and centers around a young journalist working for a food publication. After a bit of a slow start, but I was shortly engrossed in the mystery, romance, and interesting wartime correspondence with James Beard that ensued. ( )
  St.CroixSue | Sep 26, 2014 |
Started out great, sort of deteriorated for me into a typical romantic entanglement. ( )
  libq | Sep 17, 2014 |
To the memory of Marion Cunningham. I miss her every day.
"You should have used fresh ginger!"
History is the story we tell the future about the past, and we have an obligation to get it right.
I thought that when people spoke of someone's face 'lighting up,' it was merely a figure of speech.
The only thing that will make a soufflé fall is s if it knows that you're afraid if it.

Working as a public relations hotline consultant for a once-prestigious culinary magazine, Billie Breslin unexpectedly enters a world of New York restaurateurs and artisanal purveyors while reading World War II letters exchanged between a plucky 12-year-old and James Beard.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delicious! by Ruth Reichl was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,329,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible