Delicious! by Ruth Reichl

Delicious!

by Ruth Reichl

I went to listen to Ruth Reichl speak when she was in Auckland in 2014. What a lovely experience. Of course I bought her book [b:Delicious!|22428101|Delicious!|Ruth Reichl|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1401959953s/22428101.jpg|25533215]. And I devoured it.
You can't help but apply food type adjectives when describing the deliciousness of this book. It was lovely.
After reading [b:Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise|80642|Garlic and Sapphires The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise|Ruth Reichl|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1436980266s/80642.jpg|1824603], I embarked on a mission to read all of Reichl's books. And I haven't been served up a disappointing one yet.
I can really recommend this as a book which makes you smile, and stays with you, the way a warm chocolate pudding leaves you satisfied, and happy.
Hidden shelves, old letters. No mayhem, or gruesome murders. This book is a happy one. A nice one. A great local restaurant which you can be assured will always serve you great food in an ambient atmosphere. ( )
  Kiwimrsmac | Nov 29, 2017 |
Couldn't get through this book packed with cliches and cardboard characters. Ruth Reichl is a great non-fiction writer. "Tender at the Bone" is a wonderful memoir of her youth. But Delicious is her first effort at fiction, and it's not good. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
** spoiler alert ** This book gets off to an unforgivably slow start, with the author/narrator pausing every page or so to go into unnecessary ecstatic detail about every little smell and flavour.

Around the time the eponymous magazine closes and Billie, our protagonist/narrator (that's deliberate by the way), begins to take a serious interest in the letters written to James Beard during the war by an enthusiastic Ohio girl named Lulu, the story does kind of sneak up on you and I got really interested.

Unfortunately, a rather conventional romance blurs the view a bit and I realised I didn't actually like Billie that much. After her row with Mitch, I didn't much care whether she found Lulu. That part of the story seemed rather perfunctory, almost automatic, and the conclusion was lame.

Worth a read all the same, but don't expect anything special. You won't get it in this book. ( )
  Devatipan | Jun 22, 2017 |
I loved, loved this audio book! Delicious by Ruth Reichl is more than a deep appreciation of wonderful food in this story. Billie Breslin always felt that she was second best to her smarter, much prettier and confident sister. She had vowed to never cook again after something traumatic in her life had happened. But she had a gift for discerning flavors and what recipes need for improvement. She applied and got a job at Delicious, New York's famed food magazine. The magazine folds and she is the only one left to stay on to keep answering letters about the recipes. But she also finds a hidden room and a trail of letters that were written during WW II by a twelve year old to the famous James Beard. The letters were found by the batches and you had to use your wits to figure out where the next batches were hidden.

This is a story within a story and is loaded with family secrets including those secrets held very close to her chest She and her father find out that sometimes it is best not to keep the secrets, that sometimes you are harming the people you love the most by not revealing them. The food is great, the people in the story become real to you and many heart breaking decisions have been made in the past. The writing is great, it is like peeling back layers of wrapping of present. The narrator is wonderful, Julia Wheilan. I felt right at home with her. I hope that you read this book. ( )
  Carolee888 | Mar 1, 2017 |
4 1/2 stars
I really enjoyed this book. I wouldn't have called it a mystery, although it was an interesting journey/search. I especially liked the way Sammy used slightly unusual words, but always appropriately. Still, his best advice was in words that were short and to the point. My favorite quote: "The difference between talking about it and doing it is doing it." I also like this comment: "Despair is a terrible ailment." Fortunately, the book was full of the antidote to despair.

I found this book at the public library and checked it out - it was already on my to-read list. As an aside, using GR to help direct my reading is working pretty well. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
To the memory of Marion Cunningham. I miss her every day.
"You should have used fresh ginger!"
History is the story we tell the future about the past, and we have an obligation to get it right.
I thought that when people spoke of someone's face 'lighting up,' it was merely a figure of speech.
The only thing that will make a soufflé fall is s if it knows that you're afraid if it.

Working as a public relations hotline consultant for a once-prestigious culinary magazine, Billie Breslin unexpectedly enters a world of New York restaurateurs and artisanal purveyors while reading World War II letters exchanged between a plucky 12-year-old and James Beard.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ruth Reichl's book Delicious! was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,642,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible