Delicious! by Ruth Reichl

Delicious!

by Ruth Reichl

Read it in two sittings, one day. Light, v. enjoyable ( )
  ngelina | May 24, 2015 |
I listened to this book. There were too many story lines here for this to be a completely satisfying read. I wish Reichl had picked one and gone deep. ( )
  rglossne | Apr 22, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm a bit remiss with my review - I thought I had done on already, so I'll do my best to remember what I can of the book. First off, Reichl is one of my favorite food authors so I was lucky to get a copy of her first work of fiction! I found the story could have been fine-tuned a bit more. Bilie Breslin is hired on in public relations for an old, established and struggling gourmet magazine, Delicious, based out of an old mansion in New York City. Through a series of events, Billie comes across long-lost correspondence between famous cookbook writer, James Beard and a young girl during the Depression. It was an enjoyable book for me - right up my alley! ( )
  DFED | Apr 10, 2015 |
Great book. ( )
  jaysbooks | Mar 26, 2015 |
I loved RR's memoirs....this is her first foray into fiction, and I'm afraid it shows....of course, I enjoyed the food references (sights and sounds of the 'Fontanari's Deli, especially), would even try the recipe @ the back for the GingerBread Cake, but am not crazy about gingerbread.....the premise is interesting (the whole letter thing), the connection with James Beard....BUT, BUT, BUT, it reads like a book written for a teenager....the makeover stuff, the love scenes, the predictability is embarrassingly sophomoric....I had high hopes for this novel, but they were dashed....maybe improvement is in her writing-fiction future (or maybe not...)....Gemma ( )
  Gemma. | Mar 22, 2015 |
To the memory of Marion Cunningham. I miss her every day.
"You should have used fresh ginger!"
History is the story we tell the future about the past, and we have an obligation to get it right.
I thought that when people spoke of someone's face 'lighting up,' it was merely a figure of speech.
The only thing that will make a soufflé fall is s if it knows that you're afraid if it.

Working as a public relations hotline consultant for a once-prestigious culinary magazine, Billie Breslin unexpectedly enters a world of New York restaurateurs and artisanal purveyors while reading World War II letters exchanged between a plucky 12-year-old and James Beard.… (more)

203 wanted3 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delicious! by Ruth Reichl was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,851,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible