Delicious! by Ruth Reichl

Delicious!

by Ruth Reichl

Recently added bysuebau, clue, BettyTaylor56, Faradaydon, zephyr4, miche-lu, private library, mk3, Writermala, kslcpl

Warning: Don’t read this book when you are hungry. The marvelous descriptions of the smell, taste, and texture of food is… well, mouth-watering. But that’s not to this book. There is history – history of people’s lives, architectural history, secrets, and romance. The characters were delightful and varied. Each character was well developed. The protagonist is Billie, who has an amazing sense of taste. She has been hired by Delicious! magazine, thus resulting in her move from California to New York. But within a span of only a few months the magazine is shut down. She is given a temporary position with the owning company of Delicious! Exploring the historic old mansion where her office is located, she stumbles upon a secret room in the library. In the room she finds the letters written by a young girl named Lulu Swan during World War II to the famous chef James Beard. Billie then sets out to find Lulu Swan, all these years later. Is she still alive? Is she still vivacious in her older age? A truly heart-warming story of facing the fears in your life and being open to new experiences, new friends, and new love. ( )
  BettyTaylor56 | Sep 15, 2014 |
What a 'delicious' novel! Food, love, history, architecture, mystery; this book had something for everybody. I loved the recipes but it was the characters in the book who spoke to me. All along I was rooting for Billie and wanted a Cinderella event in her life. Voila! The author gave it to me and I was delighted. The story of a food magazine, how Billie continues working there after it has shut down, her finding interesting letters and her quest to find the writer, all make for exciting reading. I loved it! ( )
1 vote Writermala | Sep 11, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this book from Library Thing Early Reviewers. At first, I loved the story because it was so different. But somewhere in the middle, it slowed down and I had trouble picking it back up. So I read on and the ending was wonderful. I was so involved with Billie finding Lulu and learning about her that Book Three just flew by and then I didn't want to end. ( )
  ClaJill | Sep 7, 2014 |
I won this book from BookReporter. I probably would not have read the book otherwise, but very glad I did. It is fantastic. A little bit literary book, but very much about food. But especially the link between WWII and present time was very unexpected. ( )
  CheryleFisher | Aug 28, 2014 |
Mystery, cooking, NYC....what's not to enjoy in this novel by Ruth Reichl! ( )
  pennykaplan | Aug 28, 2014 |
To the memory of Marion Cunningham. I miss her every day.
"You should have used fresh ginger!"

Working as a public relations hotline consultant for a once-prestigious culinary magazine, Billie Breslin unexpectedly enters a world of New York restaurateurs and artisanal purveyors while reading World War II letters exchanged between a plucky 12-year-old and James Beard.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delicious! by Ruth Reichl was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible