Delicious! by Ruth Reichl

Delicious!

by Ruth Reichl

Recently added bymwortinger, twileteyes, private library, KimiJo5468, Kathiroo, sjadczak, sammymowheeler

It was really good until the last few chapters...they kind of let me down. But I still really enjoyed it. ( )
  sammymowheeler | Jan 19, 2016 |
  sammymowheeler | Jan 19, 2016 |
I loved this book. I tore through it, tried to slow down to savor it properly. Couldn't. Stayed up far too late finishing it. It combines cooking, warm, eccentric characters, New York, historical mystery, even libraries. I might have to go back and reread. Possibly immediately. ( )
  ewillse | Jan 18, 2016 |
I know this book got terrible reviews but I bought it in a moment of desperation for a book and I'm glad I did. It is defifinitely different than Reichl's other books but it was warm and soothing and just what I needed. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
From Shelfari: Billie Breslin has travelled far from her California home to take a job at Delicious , the most iconic food magazine in New York and, thus, the world. When the publication is suddenly shut down, the colourful staff, who have become an extended family for Billie, must pick up their lives and move on. Not Billie, though. She is offered a new job: staying behind in the magazine's deserted downtown mansion offices to uphold the "Delicious Guarantee"--a public relations hotline for complaints and recipe inquiries--until further notice. What she doesn't know is that this boring, lonely job will be the portal to a life-changing discovery.

Normally I'm not fond of books in which some of the story takes place in letters. But in this one, I found the letters from Lulu to James Beard (fictional letters) to be delightful. A number of reviewers did not care for the character of Billie. She had my sympathy and I enjoyed getting to know her and her marvelous palate. For me, reading is escapism, and this book was perfect. ( )
  punxsygal | Jan 16, 2016 |
To the memory of Marion Cunningham. I miss her every day.
"You should have used fresh ginger!"
History is the story we tell the future about the past, and we have an obligation to get it right.
I thought that when people spoke of someone's face 'lighting up,' it was merely a figure of speech.
The only thing that will make a soufflé fall is s if it knows that you're afraid if it.

Working as a public relations hotline consultant for a once-prestigious culinary magazine, Billie Breslin unexpectedly enters a world of New York restaurateurs and artisanal purveyors while reading World War II letters exchanged between a plucky 12-year-old and James Beard.… (more)

197 wanted3 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delicious! by Ruth Reichl was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,163,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible