Delicious! by Ruth Reichl

Delicious!

by Ruth Reichl

Recently added byluisvela, abitbookish, kappasigma, private library, mlkilian, Pflynn, Dmtcer, e-zReader, stratlib

I just cant let it pass not to read this wonderful novel by Reichl, its a mixture of adventure, fantasy and of course passion for food. Every wordings, sentences, phrases she used to describe a particular dish in her novel is just magnificent I cant seem to fathom how it tastes like through the way she gave life on a creative dish or meal. I just love this novel, it kept me awake for days. ( )
  Maddison18 | Apr 23, 2016 |
Having never heard of Ruth Reichl before I read this book, I am now aware that she is a well respected food writer, restaurant critic and non fiction author. This appears to be her first foray into fiction and it clearly draws on her extensive food knowledge. Well judging it purely as a work of fiction with no preconceived ideas - I loved it.

The main character is Billie Breslin, who leaves her family to move to New York for what turns out to be a short lived career as assistant editor with Delicious a well respected food magazine. Her job brings her into contact with the Greenwich Village food community who take her into their hearts. When the magazine folds she is retained purely to answer letters relating to the magazines long held guarantee of every recipe a success or you get a refund. Being in the building on her own, she stumbles on a hidden library and discovers a series of letters between a previous Chef employed by the magazine and a 12 year old girl during World War 2. The search for the letters become more urgent when the historic building is put on the market.

During the time Billie is involved in the search to find all these letters she is also building friendships and relationships that help her to come to terms with her past and form the basis of her future.

My love was in no small part down to fact that it dealt with some of my personal interests, food, libraries, history and architecture. Throw in the fact that I visited New York for the first time last year and I was totally smitten. It is a perfect book for curling up with as you let the characters and story envelop you. It's light funny, warm and comforting - highly recommended.

I received a free copy via Netgalley in return for an honest review

Jilldoyle | Mar 27, 2016 |
Delicious! by Ruth Reichl is a highly recommended novel for foodies who enjoy a little mystery, history, and romance in the mix.

In Delicious!, a first novel by restaurant reviewer Ruth Reichl, Billie (Wilhelmina) Breslin has taken a job in NYC as an editor's assistant at the magazine Delicious! "the one place on earth where recipes were taken... seriously. The cooks tested these dishes almost to absurdity, redoing them again and again, using a pinch more of this or a tiny bit less heat, trying to make each dish as perfect as possible. They were all dedicated to getting it right..." She also starts working part time at a cheese shop, Fontanari’s.

Billie has left California and her family behind, but included in the novel are letters Billie writes to her older sister, Genie. They used to own a bakery together called Cake Sisters, which closed, although Billie is reluctant to share the whole story until midway through the novel. Billie is blessed with an ability to identify almost any ingredient in a dish.

When the magazine is suddenly closed, Billie is kept on to honor "the Guarantee" which is a promise the Delicious will cover the costs of any recipe that doesn't work. While doing this she finds a cache of letters written by a young girl, Lulu, during WWII to James Beard. The search for the letters becomes a mystery to unravel. And the real identity of the attractive "Mr. Complainer" is another mystery that is revealed.

This is a sweet uncomplicated novel that should appeal to a large variety of people, but especially foodies. While it does tackle some heavy issues set during WWII, it doesn't have a depressing, heavy weight to it. The search for Lulu's letters and the letters included in Delicious! will have an immediate enticement for those interested in recipes during rationing. Although it is a long novel, it really is a quick read.

There is a recipe included at the end of the novel for Billie's gingerbread cake in the story.

Disclosure: My Kindle edition was courtesy of Random House for review purposes.
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
Great read, especially if you love food! ( )
  DromJohn | Mar 4, 2016 |
It was really good until the last few chapters...they kind of let me down. But I still really enjoyed it. ( )
  sammymowheeler | Jan 19, 2016 |
To the memory of Marion Cunningham. I miss her every day.
"You should have used fresh ginger!"
History is the story we tell the future about the past, and we have an obligation to get it right.
I thought that when people spoke of someone's face 'lighting up,' it was merely a figure of speech.
The only thing that will make a soufflé fall is s if it knows that you're afraid if it.

Working as a public relations hotline consultant for a once-prestigious culinary magazine, Billie Breslin unexpectedly enters a world of New York restaurateurs and artisanal purveyors while reading World War II letters exchanged between a plucky 12-year-old and James Beard.… (more)

197 wanted3 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delicious! by Ruth Reichl was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,916,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible