The Lure by Lynne Ewing

The Lure

by Lynne Ewing

231459,532 (3)None

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: The Lure is a well-written story that failed to hook me in. It fell a little flat in my eyes, considering the potential of the plotline.

Opening Sentence: The night heat melted over me, the quiet unsettling since the laughter had stopped.

The Review:

The Lure tells us about Blaise, new member of one of the three nearby street gangs. She has been chosen to be the lure, to seduce members of rival gangs to hurt or kill. All Blaise wants is money to give her grandmother’s rest on her numbered days, so she doesn’t have to work when she can barely walk. But among this life of betrayal and violence, Blaise will have to fight for it.

To be honest, this was a very slow read for me. It was hard to get into the characters and oftentimes I didn’t understand what was happening. There were lots of characters and a plotline with almost a confusing amount of action. However, there were some pros.

Blaise is a good character. She has a dark side, but for the most part has a strong goal and the perfect balance of strength and weakness. However, Satch and Rico, I weren’t feeling any connection with them (they’re two members of the love triangle). I tried to be open-minded and enjoy their personalities, but neither struck me as my favorite characters. Melissa and Kaylee I liked. And the antagonist, Trek, he was a good villain, extremely creepy and cunning.

I never really got into this book. It took awhile for me to read because when I like a novel, I won’t stop reading, but after failed attempts to connect with it I stopped trying. It didn’t have the element that really hooks and “lures” me in (see what I did there?).

Sure, someone else may like it. Someone else may appreciate the things that irritated me. However, be it as it is, I don’t have a lot of positives. It was interesting and had a unique setting, and a few of the characters were pretty awesome, but other than that I’m coming up pretty blank.

The Lure is an okay novel with definite pros and cons. I wasn’t a fan, to be blunt, but I’m sure that some people will like it because it isn’t horribly written or anything. Try it out and see if you enjoy it, then we can compare how we felt about it!

Notable Scene:

Slowly, my strength returned. I balanced precariously on quaking legs and faced Tara, who used my blood to write Core 9 across my face, each letter stinging my raw skin.

When she finished, Tanya began to jump from one foot to the other, back and forth, faster and faster, pounding the ground in praise of me. The other girls joined in and stomped with her until the earth hollered with a stampede of feet. Joy raced through me. I had done it. My heart soared with pride.

FTC Advisory: Balzar+Bray/HarperCollins provided me with a copy of The Lure. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Feb 17, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062206885, Hardcover)

From Lynne Ewing, bestselling author of Drive-By and the Daughters of the Moon series, comes a gritty, sexy novel about a teen who is forced to become a “lure”—a beautiful girl used by her street gang to seduce and entrap rival gang members.

The Lure tells the story of fifteen-year-old Blaise Montgomery, who lives on the dangerous outskirts of Washington, DC, where a stray bullet can steal a life on the way to school and death lurks around every corner. Drugs and violence are the only way to survive, so Blaise and her friends turn to gangs for safety, money, and love. And when Blaise is accepted into one of the toughest gangs in the city, she’s finally part of a crew. A family.

But as Blaise is put in increasingly dangerous situations—particularly as her gang’s newest lure—she begins to see that there’s more to lose than she ever realized. Should Blaise continue to follow the only path she’s ever known, or cut and run?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:24 -0400)

Living in a violent, impoverished town outside Washington, D.C., 15-year-old Blaise joins an infamous gang against the advice and warnings of her best friends only to be required by her new leader to put herself in life-threatening situations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,553,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible