Chasing Cheetahs: The Race to Save Africa's…

Chasing Cheetahs: The Race to Save Africa's Fastest Cat

by Sy Montgomery

This book is very educational, and provides insight into the problems faced by Cheetahs. This book is told through Laurie Marker's story. Marker can be seen in multiple photos showing and receiving affection from her Cheetahs the Ambassadors. The illustrations are photographs.
  AlecA1994 | Jul 15, 2017 |
This book started to get boring, towards the end. I liked reading about cheetahs and seeing the pictures, but the book started to become "wordy". Too much reading for the pages and type of book. ( )
  lindsayeubanks | May 29, 2016 |
To be honest I just thought that it was a lot of writing and it was hard to keep me interested. It took me over three attempts to finally finish the book. The pictures were gorgeous and the story was nice. I have a lot of admiration for Laurie Marker for devoting her life to the cheetahs. The entire time I read the book I kept thinking about how badly I wanted one, at least just to snuggle with. ( )
  kesteves | Nov 8, 2015 |
Another exceptional collaboration between Sy Montgomery and Nic Bishop. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
It is a good book of scientific use for students, as is about cheetahs and how they should preserve this species because they are extinct.
  ana.j.diaz.1 | Mar 10, 2015 |

Since the year 1900, cheetah footprints quickly dwindled in African dirt as the species plummeted from more than 100,000 to fewer than 10,000. At the Cheetah Conservation Fund's (CCF) African headquarters in Namibia, Laurie Marker and her team save these stunning, swift, and slender creatures from extinction. Since the organization's start in 1990, they've rescued more than 900 cheetahs, most of whom have been returned to the wild.

But this arduous challenge continues. For most African livestock farmers, cheetahs are the last thing they want to see on their properties. In the 1980s, as many as 19 cheetahs per farmer died each year. Cheetahs were considered vermin--but, in learning more about this magnificent species, we know this is far from true.

Today, CCF acts as a liaison between the farmers and the cheetahs, in order to promote cohabitation in an ecosystem that cannot thrive without the existence of the precious and predatory cheetah. On a wild ride through the African wilderness--sometimes sniffing out scents left in the dirt--Sy Montgomery and Nic Bishop join CCF in studying the cheetah's ecological, genetic, and behavioral patterns in order to chase down the fastest animal on land and save the species--before it is too late.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:51 -0400)

Describes the cheetah's essential role in the ecosystem and the ways in which Namibia's Cheetah Conservation Fund is promoting cohabitation between cheetahs and farmers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,106,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible