Terapia de Choque by Sebastian Fitzek

Terapia de Choque (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Sebastian Fitzek

Member:mjjoao
Title:Terapia de Choque
Authors:Sebastian Fitzek
Info:
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Therapy by Sebastian Fitzek (2006)

English (17)  German (4)  Dutch (4)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (29)
Therapy started off slowly (when does it not? haha), and at first I didn't think I was going to enjoy it. Once it got going, however, I was drawn into the story of a renowned psychiatrist whose entire life falls apart when his chronically ill daughter goes missing. Set four years after her disappearance on an isolated vacation island, the mystery and desperation are heightened by the main character's solitude. The twists at the end, while not entirely unforeseeable, are well-executed, leading to a satisfying conclusion. ( )
  dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |
  dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |
'Therapy' is a psychological thriller (or a thriller about psychology?) from Germany's Sebastian Fitzek, and it is a book that will challenge your understanding of what is real and what is unreal. And not 'til the end will you properly comprehend the story you have just read. For the ending will surprise, confound you even, for I can safely say that any thoughts you might have as you progress through the book as to how the story is going to end will almost certainly prove wide of the mark and you will be left thinking afresh about the story you just read.

It is the story of psychiatrist Dr. Viktor Larenz, whose 12-year-old daughter, Josy, disappears while on a visit to a doctor's surgery. Over the following years Viktor's mental health inevitably suffers as he struggles with his daughter's disappearance, his wife leaving him, and his heavy drinking. The story is largely as relayed by Viktor to a fellow psychiatrist and much of it takes place on an island Viktor has retreated to but where his privacy is intruded upon by the mysterious Anna Glass.

Given that schizophrenia and mental illness are very much central to the story, you the reader might well wonder as to the truth of what is supposedly taking place or being said, and whether in fact characters are real or imaginary. The one certainty is that not all is what it appears, and predictable the book is not.

The truth of course of all that has happened is finally revealed in a most surprising climax. The ending might not satisfy all readers, but it worked for me, and I can heartily recommend this, my first but not last Fitzek read. ( )
  ebyrne41 | Jan 22, 2014 |
I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. I found it interesting but not as fascinating as some people apparently did. I actually was expecting something that was exactly what I got as far as the twist at the end went. I didn't have all the details but I was very close on a lot of the main points. Since this was pushed as a great thriller and it took me about four days to read, I wasn't that thrilled.

Highly respected psychologist's daughter, Josy, disappears and he goes into a deep decline. Four years later Anna shows up at his island retreat and he is off trying to discover what really happened to Josy.

I won't be hunting for more from this author but I don't truly regret that I read the book. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |
Wow! This was a two sit down read! Brilliant! I am ordering all other books from Herr Fitzek as we speak. This is the wonderfully twisted story of Viktor and his vanished 12 year old daughter. Josy, Viktor's daughter, suddenly disappears in a doctor's office after being sick with a strange illness for almost a year. What follows is a pieced narration of what has happened in the four years after her disappearance. Told in flashbacks and in a completely engrossing way, this one will keep you guessing till the end making you think you've got the answer before finally dropping the bomb on you so you feel totally tricked. I highly recommend this book and will be reviewing more of Fitzek's work later on. ( )
  AleAleta | Jan 8, 2013 |

Sebastian Fitzekprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crivellaro, ClaudiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nordang, AstridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smit, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, Sally-AnnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Whatever I see or hear, professionally or privately, which ought not to be divulged, I will keep secret and tell no one."
-From the Hippocratic Oath
Guardaré silenmcio sobre lo que, en mi consulta o fuera de ella, vea u oiga, que se refiera a la vida de los hombres y que no deba ser divulgado.
Mantendré en secreto todo lo que pudiera ser vergonzoso si lo supiera la gente.
Fragmento del juramento hipocrático.

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.
Refran popular
"A man is known by the friends he keeps."
-Proverb
"As the thirtieth minute ticked by, he knew he would never see his daughter again."
Pasada media hora, supo que jamás volvería a ver a su hija.

NO WITNESS. NO TRACE. NO BODY.

Psychologist Viktor Larenz's twelve-year-old daughter, Josy, who had suffered from an inexplicable illness, has vanished under mysterious circumstances during a visit to her doctor, and the investigation into her disappearance has brought no results. Four years later, Viktor remains a man shattered by this tragedy. He has retreated to a remote vacation cottage on a North Sea island, where a beautiful stranger named Anna Glass pays him a visit. She claims to be a novelist who suffers from an unusual form of schizophrenia — all the characters she creates for her books become real.

While writing her most recent novel, Anna has been tortured by visions of a little girl with an unknown illness who has vanished without a trace, and she asks Dr. Larenz to treat her. Viktor reluctantly begins therapy sessions with the stranger, but very soon these sessions take a dramatic turn as the past is dragged back into the light. What really happened to Josy? Do Anna's delusions describe Josy's last days? And is Larenz a danger to himself and others?

Therapy is an absolutely gripping psychological thriller, and intelligent, fast and furious read that will stay with you for a long time after you have followed Viktor into the depths of his own psyche, and have figured out who Anna Glass really is.

Viktor Larenz has withdrawn to an isolated island in order to deal with the disappearance of his daughter. His seclusion is interrupted when he is visited by an author who suffers from a form of schizophrenia which means all her characters become real to her - and, in her last novel, she wrote about a girl who vanishes without trace.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible