Darkness Awakened by Katie Reus

Darkness Awakened

by Katie Reus

"5 out of 5 stars! This fast-paced, action-packed, paranormal romance is one that will hold your attention and wish you could keep on reading even past the ending!!

Finn and Lyra are an unstoppable duo!"

Read more of this review and a teaser here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2013/11/idolizing-in-darkness-series-b... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
Summary

Finn Stravros and Lyra loved each other but their love was forbidden, he was a wolf shifter and she a vampire, enemies, but they fell hard for each other. But Finn’s uncle would destroy Lyra if he knew about her, so he had to cut all ties to protect her. Lyra was kicked out of her clan, and has lived on her own and raising her daughter, for the past 17 years. She holds a secret that she has been keeping from Finn all of these years, and she knows that she will need to tell him the truth, sooner than later. But when her daughter gets kidnapped, so knows that she will need to go to Finn, to have his help in finding her. They join forces to find Lyra’s daughter, and their time is drawing short, there is a deadline and then Lyra knows that her daughter will be killed. As they hunt for her together, the passion they once had for each other is rekindled, and soon both Finn and Lyra will have to face up to what their feeling, and be honest with themselves and each other.

The Hero

Finn Stavros, is the alpha of his pack, after winning in a match against his uncle and defeating those loyal to him. He now has a pack that are fiercely loyal to him. Finn has led them away from the archaic beliefs, and into a way of life that is honest and good. He would do anything for those he protects but when his ex vampire lover comes back, asking for his help he is in a new element. What I loved most about Finn was how true to his character he was. He is alpha and possessive and has all of those dominant traits, but he is loyal and dedicated, and he has this goodness to him that you instantly respond to. I love his role in this story, and I love how honest his reactions are but even when he learns the truth, he doesn’t get cruel or vindictive or demanding, he listens and even though he gets pretty furious (I know I would be), you also see how understanding and empathetic he is at the same time. Quite refreshing.

The Heroine

Lyra, always loved Finn, and when she found out she was pregnant with their child, she was thrilled even knowing the dangers to her daughter, but when Finn breaks her heart and ends their relationship, she is cast out from her clan by her brother (who is quite insane), and had to learn to adapt to a human way of life, built a life for herself and her daughter, raising her all on her own, and being alone and a single mother for seventeen years. But when her daughter gets kidnapped on her way to meet her father, Lyra must find her. Because she knows why she has been kidnapped, and if she doesn’t find her soon, she will be dead. Lyra was a heroine you could relate with on an emotional level. She has strength and courage and boy can she fight!! Love seeing her go all badass on some evil demons, but you see how much she adores her daughter and you see the emotions she struggles with all the while trying to remain strong. She is a character you are instantly endeared to.

Plot and Story Line

The story begins with seeing Finn fighting some bad demons, and we see a certain bond he has with one of his closest friends and protector. We see the fun bantering and quick-witted humor between these two and the level of friendship they have. Then when Lyra enters Finn’s life again, he has no clue that he has a 17-year-old daughter. He doesn’t suspect a thing, but Lyra gets a bit devious and changes the age of her daughter so he doesn’t suspect. Now this is a “secret baby” themed trope, but the circumstances makes it seem endearing and you get captivated instantly. What I enjoyed was seeing how these ex lovers were able to connect almost instantly, even after all the time that has passed for them. The supporting characters were so fun, and a plus we get on possessive dragon shifter that comes into the mix (his book is next…SO THRILLED because he sure was delicious) We see some engaging members of Finn’s pack, and boy did Lyra stand her ground with them and win their loyalty, which is pretty fantastic considering that vampires and shifters are mortal enemies. Toward the last half of the book, we get an insight into Vega and what she is dealing with. We see how insane Lyra’s brother really is, crazed with power and being the leader of the clan, and how he promotes fear to get his people to do what he wants them to do. Vega is just like her parents though, strong and stands on her own. What we see happen in this story especially toward the latter half of the story, was a tear jerker, just broke me up inside, seeing Finn and Lyra be honest with each other, and finding their daughter together. So many great moments in this story that made it an astounding read for me (despite its shorter length, only 200 pages), but it didn’t feel that short. The plot is well-balanced, the characters written in a way where we see their strengths and weakness and how they face opposition, the romance short and sweet, but definitely strong in emotion and engaging till the end. What I most enjoyed was how the style of this author’s writing captivated me from the beginning, she draws you into the story in such a way that you can’t put it down, she creates a scene at the beginning which is exciting and full of action and then pumps you with emotion that you have to keep reading more, a intense page turner.

The Cover

I know it’s not the best cover in the world, but sexy mouth right ladies? I would mind kissing a whopper on him, and all that scruff…I love scruff (hate beards and mustaches) but that scruff is downright sexy and irresistible.

Overall View

Darkness is a riveting tale of sensual passion, a big secret, riveting emotion, fast paced action, and a thrilling story of redeeming love and sacrifice…HEARTWARMING!! ( )
  addictofromance | Jun 28, 2015 |
**Review written for an originally posted on my blog, Book Bliss.I received a copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased and honest review**

Review: 5 stars

General: Darkness Awakened is full of heat, chemistry and action from cover to cover complete with an awesome set of characters. I always love when opposing supernaturals are put together, it adds an extra layer of drama and things to go wrong and it certainly didn’t make things any easier for this two.

The storyline was incredibly strong and the world building filled with perfect detail. Everything that happened was filled with plausible emotions and page turning reactions from me. I love that in a book and the romance was steamy. Using two characters that have a troubled past combined with the worries of Vega was a perfect way to develop dependent characters that you root for.

Characters: Lyra Marius- Lyra is a vampire queen in her own rights, even if not yet. She is undeniably powerful in her poise and determination. I loved her inner conflicts as she had to put it aside and ask for help. Her reactions and actions to everything in the story were wonderfully believable.

Finn Stavros- Finn made Lyra look a little weak he was so alpha male! He was dark and brooding and commanding in ways that all male heros in novels like this should be. He was incredibly prideful and stubborn as well and it made watching the two come together more explosive. ( )
  BookBliss2013 | Dec 11, 2013 |
The first book in the Darkness series is an intriguing and action filled paranormal must read.

Finn is the Alpha of the fiercest werewolf packs in the south and he’s in full battle mode fighting the Akkadian demons that has mysteriously escaped from Hell. Desperate for his help, Lyra is a royal vampire and Finn’s former love and she’s about to turn his world upside down with her secret.

This fast paced plot grabs the reader’s attention from the very beginning and keeps them on their edge of their seat with vivid imagery and intense details. The enchanting characters have strong personalities that the reader’s can relate to and leaves them wanting to know more.

The chemistry between the Finn and Lyra is combustible with the sex scenes radiating enough heat to singe the reader. The couple has a lot against them and the author conveys all the emotional turmoil with an intensity that has the reader feeling for the couple and their situation.

The author has done a great job with fantastic supernatural story with werewolves, vampire, demons and dragons. I was caught in the story from beginning to end with lots of suspense and enjoyable characters. I can’t wait to read the next one and see what adventure the author has in store for me. ( )
  Evampire | Nov 26, 2013 |
What a great start to a new series by an author that is fast becoming one of my favorites. This book has vampires, wolf shifters, demons and even a dragon. I can't wait to read more about this group of supernaturals. Finn was a pretty kick-ass alpha and Lyra wasn't too bad either. Even though this plot wasn't exactly new it was still a great story with plenty of action and even more intense feelings between two people that totally belong together but due to certain supernatural biases have stayed apart for way to long. Looking forward to more in this series.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. ( )
  amdrane2 | Nov 15, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,986,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible