The Line : A Witching Savannah Novel by J.…

The Line : A Witching Savannah Novel (2014)

by J. D. Horn

2961937,920 (3.66)11

This is a light read, and a good diversion from the day-to-day nonsense reality hands out. I was interested enough to keep reading, though I wasn't blown away.

The good stuff:

I loved the setting. Savannah has that whole Gothic edge, as if ghosts and magic are always lingering in the air. The author does a great job of capturing this essence and placing us in its midst.

The murder mystery worked well as a subplot. There was a good twist with the whodunit aspect.

The not so good stuff:

Mercy's character was a problem for me throughout. First, she often behaves immaturely for her age and circumstances. Her character has more of a YA feel than the story warrants. Next, she grows up surrounded by magic, yet barely understands it and, apparently, rarely questioned it until a sudden turnabout nearing her 21st birthday. No one taught her anything, which she seemed to accept without question or curiosity. Her character just feels flat and submissive.

Mercy is the center of a romantic triangle of sorts that appears without explanation or buildup, and disappears just as quickly. Mercy's reaction to both men at various points throughout made no sense to me. I never felt any actual romance or love, but only jealousy, manipulation, and a certain kind of resolve.

Finally, the issue with Mercy's sister and the explosive climax was obvious in its buildup, probably to everyone other than Mercy. Her reaction afterward was far too passive. I think the aim was for Mercy to be the kind of character who is above the fray, sweet and nice at heart, but she tends to come off as a bit of a doormat.

The ending does give promise to interesting things to come in the series. ( )
  Darcia | Mar 25, 2018 |
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did. The characters are well drawn. The "good guys" are likable. The "bod guys" are nasty, but you're not quite sure who's who until the end. The plot speeds right along. It's a quick read and I'm looking forward to book 2. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
Good character, plot, and storyline development. Multiple twists, turns, family lies, and betrayals that make for an interesting book that holds your attention. ( )
  BookJunkie777 | Oct 16, 2016 |
Rating 3.75

I really enjoyed this book. It's one of the first urban paranormal books I've read, and it did not disappoint. It continued to surprise me, and I can't wait for me. ( )
  ZetherBooks | Jun 15, 2016 |
2.5 stars

I must say I was quite surprised with this book. I went into the book extremely wary as I've had a few bad experiences with books from the amazon lending library. I had low expectations, so therefore anything other than horrific failure would have impressed me. With that in mind, I really enjoyed “The Line.” I’m not sure if it was because I went into it expecting failure, or because it was a fun read, but either way, I liked it and am tempted to pick up the second book in the series.

The book starts off a bit rocky, introducing us to the soon-to-be 21 year old protagonist, Mercy Taylor, a tour guide that specializes in twisting the truth about local spots into something more colourful for bored tourists. At the start, she sounded and acted much younger than 21, as I originally thought she was still in her teens, given the way she behaved. Mercy is a twin and a dud at that. She comes from a large, prominent family of witches and is constantly reminded for the family position and her lack of magical abilities, while her sister is the most powerful witch the family had seen in a very long time.

As she has no powers of her own, she finds herself going to a local ‘hoodoo’ doctor when she needs a spell to make herself fall in love with her friend who has been deeply in love with her for forever it seems. This is when the book starts to get interesting. A spell is performed, a murder committed, a position usurped, and eventually an understanding reached. All of the family secrets that kept coming up and undone were interesting, and things I did not expect considering the slightly lulling beginning and something I thought may have been a product of poor writing, turned out to be perfectly executed.

There are a few moments that may turn readers off and make you very uncomfortable. Both are abuses of power against women that leave them very violated. I was left feeling unsettled with one of these situations and really, really hope younger readers understand that these actions were wrong and are not left confused by the mixed message being given by the author.

Overall, the book is free and an easy read, though it does present various problematic messages concerning love that may be difficult to ignore. ( )
  heylu | Mar 4, 2016 |
For Rich, who brings magic into every life he touches
"All right, you handsome devils, if y'all are here for this evening's Liar's Tour of Savannah, then you are at the right place," I said, surveying the group of men who had found their way to the Waving Girl statue.

Savannah is considered a Southern treasure, a city of beauty with a rich, colorful past. Some might even call it magical....

Despite being powerless herself, of course.

Having grown up without magic of her own, in the shadow of her talented and charismatic twin sister, Mercy has always thought herself content. But when a series of mishaps - culminating in the death of the Taylor matriarch - leaves a vacuum in the mystical underpinnings of Savannah, she finds herself thrust into a mystery that could shake her family apart...and unleash a darkness the line of Taylor witches has been keeping at bay for generations.

Witching Savannah series
Book 1: The Line
Book 2: The Source
Book 3: The Void

To the uninitiated, Savannah shows only her bright face and genteel manner. Those who know her well, though, can see beyond her colonial trappings and small-city charm to a world where witchcraft is respected, Hoodoo is feared, and spirits linger. Mercy Taylor is all too familiar with the supernatural side of Savannah, being a member of the most powerful family of witches in the South. Despite being powerless herself, of course. Having grown up without magic of her own, in the shadow of her talented and charismatic twin sister, Mercy has always thought herself content. But when a series of mishaps--culminating in the death of the Taylor matriarch--leaves a vacuum in the mystical underpinnings of Savannah, she finds herself thrust into a mystery that could shake her family apart...and unleash a darkness the line of Taylor witches has been keeping at bay for generations.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,231,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible