The Seacrest by Aaron Paul Lazar

The Seacrest

by Aaron Paul Lazar

This is a romantic love story of love lost, found, and lost again, only to be found again. Finn met his true and life long love, Libby, the summer of his 16th year. He lost his virginity and his heart to this mysterious young woman. However, at the end of the summer she turned on him and acted as if she hated him. The next day she left for boarding school in Europe. Long after their break up and the loss of his family Finn still loved her but she would never allow him to communicate with her to find out what had happened to turn her against him.
Finn finally married and started a life with his wife. The couple ended up being offered a job working for Libby's father at their estate. The couple had not had any children as Finn's wife didn't think they were in a financial position to do so. Then one day the police came to Finn's door to tell him that his wife and brother had been in a car accident. They were both killed when the car his brother was driving hit a guard rail and went over a cliff and into the ocean. Finn didn't think his wife even knew his brother.
This is well written with good characterization and plenty of mystery as the author takes us from present day to the past to keep the story fresh and fast paced. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will look for more from this fine author. ( )
  bettysunflower | Apr 6, 2014 |
Exquisitely told in the manly voice of Finn McGraw, and charged with intrigue and emotion, this is a story of love, wrapped up in a riddle. The closer we come to solving it, the more reachable is the promise of gaining a second chance at that first love. It is that combination—the soft, romantic note and the sharp, quick one of finding a way to solve that mystery—that is essential in the story telling of The Seacrest. At the romantic mode, Aaron Paul Lazar infuses his descriptions with sensual details, such as the scent of the sea. “A fresh breeze laden with the scent of the sea rustled blue flowers…” At the mystery writing mode, he sounds a shrill note of alarm, for example in the very first sentence: “Life can change in the blink of an eye. This blink came when…”

The story keeps alternating between two frames: the past, when Finn first fell in love with Libby and lost her, and the present, when his wife, Cara and his brother Jax are found dead as her car goes off a cliff. Are these events, separated by time, connected? Can Finn put together the clues and gain an understanding, perhaps even redemption, so that love can blossom over the ruins of his past, as once it did? “I held her, realizing with a start that in spite of the horror of what happened, our future now lay open…”

I was first drawn to The Seacrest because of its cover, which is unabashedly romantic. Against the golden background of a sea suffused with golden light, the silhouettes of two lovers are just about to kiss, and the letters of the title are just about to embrace each other. Aw… So lovely—and so is this story.

Enjoyed the voice of George Kuch as Finn. After listening to him reading Seacrest I checked out some of his other work, and I can hear that even when he does non-fiction, such as in Write Like the Wind: Volume 1 and Volume II, he can be lift the text from the page and make it personal. even intimate. That, to me, is the mark of good narration.

Five stars. ( )
  Uvi_Poznansky | Mar 24, 2014 |
Title: The Seacrest
Author: Aaron Paul Lazar
Copyright: 2013
First Edition: August, 2013

"Life can change in the blink of an eye," is opening line of Aaron Paul Lazar's romantic mystery, “ The Seacrest.” Handyman Finn McGraw was in the process of being verbally abused by the estate owner’s stuck up daughter when the arrival of a police car distracted him. The news of a fatal accident was broken to him by Police Chief Karamer. Finn’s world turned upside down with the death of his estranged brother, and Finn’s wife?

Finn began to wonder, why were they together, how long had Cora been meeting his brother?
Author Lazar switches chapters seamlessly between Finn's childhood and the present day life of the man. Two romances are told in “ The Seacrest:” the first is between boy and girl, and the second is between man and woman.

Follow Finn as he sorts out his past, and the loss of his one true love. Was his brother a bad seed bent on destroying everyone Finn had loved, but then why did Jax bequeath his accumulated wealth and the family blueberry farm to him? Finn is determined to find the truth, but can he handle it?

I agreed to review this book as part of a promotional blog tour, and was supplied a PDF for my honest review.

The Seacrest was a pleasant surprise. I am always interested in a man’s point of view on the intimate relationship between a man and woman. Lazar relates Finn’s tale in the first person with a great deal of sensitivity. The book is well written, and the sex scenes were tender and loving, but also make this novel not suitable for those under 18.

“The Seacrest” earns a four star rating on my review meter, and I highly recommend it.

Reviewed by Jackie Anton… author of the award winning “Backyard Horse Tales” series. ( )
  BackyardHorse | Nov 5, 2013 |
The Seacrest by Aaron Paul Lazar
Finn McGraw grows up on the cape in MA where his family runs the blueberry farm during the summer months.
I feel like this is two books in one because each chapter tells of a different age of the characters.
The chapters alternate in time and that is sometimes confusing. There are mainly two people-when they first meet on the beach and spend time to get to know one another. First love and sex scenes.
And the present day where the woman has died along with his brother and he now owns everything his brother had.
He is living and working at the manor of Seacrest and Libby is the one that gets him up and moving rather than just lying around the cottage on the estate after he learns of his wife's passing.
Through each of the time frames we learn of the family's past and how the others had died...
So much pain when he finds out what his brother did that broke he and Sassy up from dating.
Love the location of the sea and the cape and journeys throughout the book. Love the story line but not all the sex scenes-was a bit much.
I received this book from Vickie Dold I.O. Book Tours via the author for my honest review. ( )
  jbarr5 | Oct 25, 2013 |

Aaron Paul Lazar is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,012,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible