Panic by K R Griffiths

I cannot work up any enthusiasm for this copycat book that is so very much like so many others. ( )
  Dokfintong | Feb 15, 2015 |
Panic offers a different twist on the zombie apocalypse - canisters from the heavens cause this pandemic - once infected, zombies lose their eyes but their remaining senses are enhanced - smell being the most potent. Zombies chasing the living...the living hiding...all set in a small town in England. It was difficult for me to get through this book, and I concur with other reviewers that this story was extremely wordy and slow in between action scenes, eventually causing me to lose interest. I did make it to the end, but It took me much longer when compared to other books in this genre. As a result, I won't be continuing with this series.

John Podlaski, authorr
Cherries - A Vietnam War Novel ( )
  JPodlaski | Jan 14, 2015 |
As a Welsh woman, I enjoyed the fact that there was finally a book set here in rural Wales, St David's to be precise. I was able to instantly picture everything which I find important when I'm reading as I like to have a little 'film' running in my head as I read, picturing the characters in their settings. I instantly liked Michael and was rooting for him as the chaos started. I'm not particularly into zombie type books as I'm not a fan of gore but I will read most things at least once. I personally did find the 'gore factor' a little high but at the same time I did expect it so it wasn't a complete surprise.

I think K R Griffiths was very adept at scene setting, I found it a very very accurate depiction of South Wales. I also read some of the other reviews and one lady said she found the character development was a bit too in depth but I personally liked that, I wanted to know more about Michael, I didn't mind the slight breaks in the action to explain more and was waiting to discover what 'The Cardiff Incident' was as we came close to finding out in this book 1 of the series, but we still don't know as yet what haunts him to this day. I liked Jason and Rachel too and was pleased when they all banded together.

I also think the author did a good job of creating a truly evil character in Victor. I thought at first he was just odd but as we got to the final third we found out just how evil and depraved he was.

One criticism for me was the 'breaking down' of a strong character with sexual torture near the end. It seemed out of place somehow, like it was added on as a bit of an afterthought. I didn't think it was necessary for this book as things had already been bad enough for this character already but I'm not the author so its just a personal thing. Overall, I liked the book and would really like to know what happens in the rest of the series. ( )
  Bookworm1985 | Jan 11, 2015 |
Interesting and well written lead in to some kind of horror story. I actually thought that the characters and their travails flowed very well into each other. Since I won this book in exchange for an honest review, I did not really know what to expect. The horror genre is not something that I gravitate to so I was kind of caught off guard.

Evidently the Wildfire Chronicles is a 4 part book and I have only read part 1 so far. So far, I am actually enjoying the story and really want to find out what happens. So, I will provide further reviews once I have read the next installment. ( )
  honoliipali | Feb 21, 2014 |
This was hard to put down. It was action packed and a page turner. The author wrote a great book. The characters are well developed and the plot was great. ( )
  HeatherBennett32 | Feb 12, 2014 |
Tightly written, fast paced and gruesome as hell, Panic feels like a bloody, adult version of Doctor Who, in fact what Torchwood should have been like. From the rather gory start the book introduces strong characters and a plotline that keeps you wanting to know more. Griffiths has a natural ability to form interesting people that you care for and when this infestation takes hold and the way they all interconnect and deal with such an unpredictable situation is written very honestly.

Michael Evans is only in rural St. Davids to maintain a low profile after his time spent as a city cop ended in disaster. The town is perfect for him: isolated. A tiny population. Virtually no crime.

Until the night the strange canisters fall from the sky and the town priest starts killing people with his teeth. To Michael, the bloodbath looks like a murder case that the quiet town's two police officers can't possibly handle.

But this isn't just a crime scene.

And the priest is just the beginning...

But this isn't just a crime scene.

And the priest is just the beginning...

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

K R Griffiths's book Panic (Wildfire Chronicles Vol. 1) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

K R Griffiths is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,417,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible