Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch by Anne Isaacs

Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch

by Anne Isaacs

I loved this book! I thought it was really cute and young readers would love it. I loved the character development because the main character was a widow that moved out to a ranch in Texas. All these men came to try and win her heart over but she kept saying she didn't need a man. Well at the end of the story she found out that she fell in love with her baker and she married him and they lived on the ranch. I thought it was neat how the author kept portraying Tulip Jones as an independent woman when it turns out that she was dependent on a man. I also liked the writing style that the author used. She was creative and imaginative in her writing which I think made this book so humorous and inviting to young readers. The author wrote about how everything grew bigger and faster in Texas and that the widows pet tortoises grew to be 6 feet long and could run faster than any horse. I loved the exaggeration that the author used because it was so humourous. I also loved the illustrations. I think they were bright and colorful and fit the mood and text very well. They illustrations are very child friendly and funny to look at. I think the big picture of the story is that you shouldn't sell yourself short. ( )
  Becca-Friedel | Oct 21, 2016 |
An outrageously entertaining, Texas-size tall tale for older children. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Tulip Jones inherits a ranch a 35 million dollars. Everyone wants her for her money and she doesn't want to marry any of them. Charlie, a baker she hires, marries Tulip and they have a cake for 2000 newly weds. "They live happily ever after."
  SRThompson | Nov 18, 2014 |
"Meanwhile back By-Golly Ranch" there are potatoes so huge, it takes only seven to make a dozen; a single watermelon feeds everyone on the ranch for a month; tortoises are so big and fast, you can ride them like horses; and since the widow Tulip Jones has just inherited thirty-five million dollars, every single man in Texas is after her hand in marriage. But of course Tulip Jones doesn't need or want a husband! Included in the suitors is Sheriff Aroyo and his brother Spit, part of the notoriously evil Hole in the Pants Gang. Despite Sherriff Aroyo and Spit's best efforts to win over Tulip and her money, they are unsuccessful. Instead, Tulip turns in the Hole in the Pants Gang and sets up the rest of the suitors with brides. Tulip also finds true love with Charlie Doughpuncher, a baker from Abilene, and "back at the ranch, they lived happily every after".
This has probably been one of the best books I have read this semester. I love Tulip Jones' character, it is great to read a book about such a confident and smart, feminist woman. I also love the illustrations. Illustrator Kevin Hawkes really captured the By-Golly Ranch and the Hole in the Pants Gang better than I could have imagined it. ( )
  SMLawrence | Nov 17, 2014 |
The words on the endpaper will give all readers a chuckle, older ones more than younger: "To those who read this tale, notice is hereby given: Under full penalty of law, exaggeration is forbidden in the state of Texas. No Texan may decorate a plain fact - except if that person is an elected official....." The story itself is vintage Issacs as she spins a tall tale with a distinctly feminist twist. In 1870, when a clever widow inherited millions and a Texas ranch, she ended up with a thousand suitors all seeking the hand of this wealthy woman. Happy by herself she wanted no one. With the help of ranch hand, Charlie, she came up with three impossible tasks -- to make the Rio Grande flow backwards, to fill a bucket with stars, and then to capture a dangerous gang. The end has its own sweet twist. ( )
  pataustin | Aug 31, 2014 |

When Widow Tulip Jones of Bore, England, inherits a ranch in By-Golly Gully, Texas, and moves in with two trunks of tea, twelve pet tortoises, and three servants, hilarity ensues. The peaceful life suits the wealthy widow fine until word gets out and every unmarried man in Texas lines up to marry her. Widow Tulip and her small staff of three can't possibly run the farm and manage all the suitors, so she devises a plan—and it just might work. This story filled with giant tortoises, 1,000 brides, bad guys, a smart widow, and even a little romance is sure to get kids laughing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:32 -0400)

In 1870, Tulip Jones, a wealthy, self-reliant widow from England, acquires the By-Golly Gully Ranch in Texas and soon finds herself saddled with 1000 suitors.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,742,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible