Illusion by Sherrilyn Kenyon

I have read all of this series and love all of the books. I am from Louisiana and visit New Orleans often. Sherrilyn Kenyon's description is right on, however like most writers trying to write with a southern accent has a little difficulty. The book keeps you on your toes and I like that she adds back history on the Dark Hunters as well. I also read her Dark Hunters collection so it is interesting to see how Nick is starting to change those later books. ( )
  mparrish46 | Jul 18, 2017 |
4.5 stars! SQUEE!!!
I loved this book so so much. I was extremely hesitant to start this since the last book left off the way it did. I mean, I loved the Nick I've been reading about for the past few books, I don't want to read about some Normal Nick (even if it IS the same Nick, but trapped in another Nick's body)...I was so devastated at the end of that book, so I didn't want to start this one, I just couldn't bear it. I hate it when good books, spend so many novels building up the characters and the atmosphere and all that, and suddenly something happens, or one of the characters does something stupid and it pretty much deletes everything I've learned about and come to love. Anyways, after many, many, many, months, maybe years (okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration...), I finally thought I was ready to face this book, and I'm so, so glad I did. I didn't regret anything! Well, maybe I do regret the part about not reading this awesome book sooner. This author is AWESOME and I shouldn't have doubted her, at all. She is THE BEST, and I loved every single page of this book, and it was just...awesome. (I used awesome a lot, I know, I know...)

WHAT I LIKED:
The humour. Oh my gosh, I loved how funny this book was, it had me laughing out loud, and if there were people near me, I'm sure I'd be getting some awkward stares. Everything else was good too, but it was the witty and cutting remarks, and the sarcastic jokes that the characters in the book made that was really the highlight.

Nick. Of course I had to have a section dedicated to my precious Nick. Besides his awesome sense of humour, I loved his goodness. He is the Malachai. The worst, most powerful, and evil demon alive. And yet, he is so kind, so compassionate, so loving. He treats his enemies with a firm, but gentle hand, even though those enemies have treated his with nothing but cruelty. And he can make even the most dire situations happier and lighter. Nick is just such a GOOD GUY, and there are no words to describe how awesomely awesome he is. No words. At all. Oh, gosh, I do envy Kody, she is so lucky to have someone like Nick as a boyfriend.

WHAT I DISLIKED:
I can't really think of anything to dislike about this book, but hmm...if I had to pick something, I think I'd choose the super long chapters. I'm a fan of reading short chapters, even if the book itself is long, reading short chapters just seems to make the book fly by that much faster. But actually, the length of the chapters in this book is such a minor thing.

All in all, this book was fantabulous and I absolutely can't wait for the next one. ( )
  elizabeth1929 | Oct 6, 2015 |
Gah! How many books are there going to be in this series until the the two series meet? I want grown Nick now! ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
I loved this book. I felt it was better that the previous ones.
In Illusion Nick wakes up in another body, in a different place and time with people he knew but were strangers to him : it's an alternate universe where he's Bubba's son and has no powers whatsoever.

I loved the way Sherrilyn showed how our own choices make who we are: good or bad. It's not about who our family is, or where we are born, it's about who we choose to be.

For the first time, I loved Kody. I used to tolerate her, but she always seemed foreign to me. In this book, we know all about her, about who she is, why she had to kill Nick and why she didn't.

We get also to know who her family is, and I cried everytime she mentioned them. It was just too hard to know how they died, because I love her dad so much.

At times I really hated Nick because of what Ambrose had done, but it's not him yet, so there's that.

I really hope Nick learns how to stay good even if the people closest to him die. His mother's loss will cause him to turn evil, and he has to know how to honor her even if she's not there to see it.

The cliffhanger is about Xev, who is apparently related to Caleb, and is an ancient god. I think I'm going to love him, because he reminds me of Styxx. I can't wait for the next book

Inessova | Mar 28, 2015 |
Nick wakes up to find himself in an alternative universe, where he doesn't look like himself and where his powers aren't working, he lifves a mundane life in this world and things are not looking good for him. With the help of some friends he has to fight for his right to live and to keep the world, and his mum, safe.

I really enjoyed it, Nick is so sarky and he really does try to see the best in people, it was an entertaining read, nothing too deep but a fun ride, and it kept me reading. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 1, 2014 |

Son of a demon Nick Gautier just wants to be a normal guy, but when he is sucked into an alternate reality he realizes the value of his powers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible