Homecoming (A Finn McCoy Paranormal…

Homecoming (A Finn McCoy Paranormal Thriller)

by Scott Langrel

I have to say I previously rated this 3 stars because I read this book first (it is numbered 1 in the series, after all) and while I enjoyed the story I felt like I was missing major backstory on the main characters. After realizing that there is in fact a prequel of short stories to the series, I read that and felt like I could boost my rating up another star. I really enjoy the way this author writes. He seems to capture the essence of a character and story in a fast, short read. This was a different take on paranormal than what I'm familiar with and I honestly was a little spooked by the Fey. It takes a bit to get under my skin so I really loved that. ( )
  cedes74 | Mar 23, 2016 |
Finn McCoy is a handler, apparently meaning that he handles demons and the fey, keeping humans who don’t know these threats exist, safe from the monsters. People are disappearing from Shallow Springs, the small town McCoy grew up in, and the sheriff grudgingly calls McCoy asking him to come back and help.

Paranormal thriller? Yes. It can also be described as horror as the Sluagh are nasty Fey creatures who want to take out the entire town and they are definitely not something you’d want to run into.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with how well this self-published book was written, especially in comparison to all other self-published books I’ve read. There is a very well-rounded professional feel to it.

The story flows well, describing the various settings, the people involved, their thoughts, fears and actions with both good world and character building. I had to go back and look to see if credit is being given to an editor as it felt very much like I was reading a book that came out of a publishing house.

I really like the major characters and the fact that they are far from perfect. Finn, our main hero, is capable and determined, but in his forties his body is obviously not as agile and pain-free as it used to be. And his girlfriend, Amanda, has a vested interest in his safety and is more than willing and able to get in the middle of the action. She’s also smart and able to offer up observations and suggestions that McCoy, in the middle of the “picture” can’t always see.

I picked up this book when it was offered for free and I’m glad I did. I’ll definitely be reading the next book in the series. ( )
  dearheart | Jun 24, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,588,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible