Printer's Devil Court by Susan Hill

Printer's Devil Court (2014)

by Susan Hill

Recently added byEleanorD, elkiedee, isabel23, cctesttc1, Pigletto, private library, Dublin4, BayleyCl, natashaslove, choc578

Despite some lovely descriptive passages early on and a beautiful presentation, "Printer's Devil Courtyard" is a rather thin thing, riddled with cliches and typos. Many ghost-story writers withhold information to create suspense, but here Hill doesn't even give enough for the reader to understand what is going on. Lovely book, shame about the story. ( )
  m_k_m | Oct 30, 2015 |
This short novella describes two main events in the life of the late Dr Meredith: one in his youth, when he witnessed an experiment to bring the dead back to life, and one in late middle age, when he revisited the locations of his youth, as well as a postscript written in the third person.

I have to say that this is not one of Susan Hill's better works: the illustrations bear no relation to the events described and simply appear to add bulk to the story; there are certain sections that to me seemed to contradict each other or simply didn't make sense. I found the plot oddly lacking in suspense and tension, and the only memorable part were the eerie descriptions of the empty hospital corridors and basements at the dead of night, which I could easily relate to, having worked night shifts in hospitals during my years as a nurse. Dr Meredith doesn't come across as a very engaging character, and my empathy clearly lay with the young woman, whom the reader only encounters very briefly.

One for completists only, I think. ( )
  passion4reading | May 7, 2015 |
Another fairly gripping novella from this author. The first half is a bit slower and predictable, with a pair of unscrupulous medical students experimenting on the bodies of the dead, but the second half dealing with the more ghostly consequences forty years later is much better. ( )
  john257hopper | Dec 22, 2014 |
Very disappointing. I'm a fan of Susan Hill's works and have enjoyed the other ghost novellae, but PDC felt short, disjointed and unsatisfying. Worse, this edition (Profile hardback) was littered with errors - name changes within a paragraph (Hugh's sister Clara became Sarah), missing punctuation obscuring flow and meaning, and a bizarrely meaningful reference to a ginger cat that I couldn't recall any previous mention of. Even the About the Author had grammatical errors in it. Not good enough. The whole thing felt rushed out for profit rather than having received care and attention at any point in the process. ( )
  imyril | Dec 7, 2014 |
Very poor plot and full of typos!
1 vote christinefyfe | Dec 4, 2014 |
Dear Sir,The enclosed item has been sent on to me by Messrs. Geo Rickwell, Antiquarian Bookseller, with the instruction that it be passed on to the beneficiaries of the estate of the late Dr Hugh Meredith.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible