The Black Eagle Inn (The Three Nations…

The Black Eagle Inn (The Three Nations Trilogy) (Volume 3)

by Mr Christoph Fischer

A great book!!! This is the second book I read by Christoph Fischer. I really did not think that anything could be better than “The Luck of Weissensteiners” but I was terribly wrong. This book exceeded my expectations. This is an extraordinary story.
Bavaria is the location of The Black Eagle Inn. Germany is dealing with trying to overcome the shame of a horrible regime that has been finally brought to its knees. The people are trying to survive and get back to a normal life. But how can they regain a pride that has been dragged through the mud and how can they erase the atrocities and the dreadfulness that wreaked the lives of millions of people?
The author Christoph Fischer does an amazing job once again introducing the characters that pull you into the story. The Hinterberger family is an interesting one. Anna is the matriarch of the family and after her father’s death she takes control of the family properties and that includes large pieces of land (farms) and the Black Eagle Inn. Her life is overwhelmed with scandals, conspiracies, money and forbidden love.
Family members are fighting among them trying to be the ones to inherit portion of the Hinterberger fortune. Magdalena, Helga, Lukas, Otto Hans and Markus are characters that are unforgettable for various reasons. The author cleverly introduces a mixture of strength, weakness, success and failure.
Again I found myself glued to the pages. A mixture of emotions took over my thoughts. I felt like crying in many occasions, wince at others, taken over by contempt for actions that made my skin crawl and envy at the courage of others.
This is a book I will read again and I would recommend to everyone I know. What an awesome job by Christoph Fischer who is a very talented and gifted author. I now have to go an pick up the third book, “SEBASTIAN” because I feel that I need to complete this trilogy. I am absolutely speechless at the awesomeness of this author’s extraordinary writing ability.A ( )
  An-Avid-Reader | Feb 18, 2015 |
Fischer has such a talent at portraying family dynamics. Having read all three of his books niw, I consider myself a fan.

The Black Eagle Inn, again portraying Germany's history, deals with the trials and tribulations of a country family who own a farm and inn. What is different about this book us that Fischer approaches the issues of foreigners in Germany post World War II and the acceptance of homosexuality in Germany.

As usual, Fischer approaches these subjects with poise and class.
  DanielleDeVor | Feb 17, 2015 |
Quite honestly, it's been a long time since I enjoyed a book as much as this one. Mr. Fischer masterfully weaves the story of what occurs in a family and in the Bavarian countryside, post-WWII. I learned more about that time and place through this book than I ever did taking history classes. This should be required reading for every professor who is or intends to teach in that area of history. Greed, social issues, religion, and politics fuel the story as it deftly unfolds the relationship between members of a family and their ties to the land and the Black Eagle Inn. The characters are so believable and the plot is so compelling that the reader can't help but be transported to that time and place.

I cannot recommend it highly enough. My only regret is that I've already read it. I've now read all three books in The Three Nations Trilogy and each one is excellent. Thank you, Mr. Fisher. With your books, I'm reminded once again of why I love to read! ( )
  DianneDHarman | Sep 14, 2014 |
I see this story as an lesson in a human’s tendency to lose themselves along the way. The dangers of going too far with power, religion and self-discipline can make for a miserable life. Each of these causing prejudices, hate, self-importance and revenge. There is much more involved in The Black Eagle Inn that Fischer wishes express. He has a deep realization of what drives people, not only in Heimkirchen, but throughout the world. This is not an easy task to put into words, but with each character, through their lifetime, was able to display many of the faults of everyday people.

Fischer perceives human actions and results below the surface, where most people tend to put little effort into understanding. I gave him a 4-star for trying and succeeding.

I would have loved more color with the characters and setting. The characters were interesting, but I needed a face of some kind to relate to. I have been to Bavaria and it is very beautiful. I wanted to see that also. ( )
  mahree | Oct 26, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,998,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible