The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary…

The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend (2014)

by Dan Santat

Beautiful, bold colorful pages. Beekle hits all the requirements for the Caldecott medal (obviously, since it won it!). The text type is even hand written by Santat himself. The themes of the book could be considered as courage, friendship, belonging. Despite the cartoonish style, the characters are life-like with a great range of emotional expression. The amount of detail on each page is staggering, in the drawing and coloring. He uses lighting and shading to very dramatic effect. I would use this as a read-aloud for relationships, at the beginning of the year. It takes courage to make friends. Sometimes we have to take a chance. The results can be wonderous.
  Stewart24 | May 9, 2018 |
Note: This book was read as part of the upcoming, Books on Tap, once-per-month, summer event sponsored by our county library system and a local cidery, in which folks compete in answering questions about ten different books and ten different movies available through the library. While the winter events had no competing teams with anyone younger than high school students, the librarian's goal has clearly been to get the whole family to participate by selecting books and movies targeted at various age groups. Thus, this Caldicott Award winner is on the book list. As a former child (no, really) and formerly a father of a young child, I have read (and reread, and reread, and reread) my share of books aimed at young children. Fortunately, no matter how disjointed a book script can be, the best of these books always seem to have great illustrations and a reasonable point to be made for the child's benefit. In this case, those two benefits were required for overcoming its story line. I feel this must have been a weak year for Caldicott Award nominees. ( )
  larryerick | Apr 26, 2018 |
There are many reasons I love The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend by Dan Santat. First, the illustrations are entertaining, and it grasps the readers attention. They were extremely creative and full of imagination which gave the writing more meaning. For example, the very first page is bright with all different kinds of imaginary creatures surrounding Beekle. I feel this will immediately grasp the readers attention. In the book, the colors used in the illustrations were very interesting. Everything was bright with rainbow colors at the beginning of the story, but once Beekle arrived in the human world, the illustrations turn to dark and dull colors (such as brown, grey, and dark greens and blues). On the other hand, the children are bright colors again (like his imaginary world) when he arrives at the playground. I notice throughout the book that adults are dark colors while the children are all bright and exciting colors. I also love the overall message of courage in this book. Beekle does something no one else has done, which is traveling to the real world to find his friend. Beekle needed plenty of courage to do this all on his own and he was rewarded by meeting Alice, his friend. I loved that even though imaginary friends are not real, parts of the story line are realistic. For example, when Beekle first arrives in the real-world, he noticed “No kids were eating cake. No one stopped to hear the music. And everyone needed naptime”. Another example is when he first meets Alice. Both did not know how to greet each other which can be relatable to children- the awkward first encounter before friendship blossoms. ( )
  SamanthaWitschey | Apr 11, 2018 |
I really enjoyed The Adventures of Beekle because it had a great lesson to teach young students. This book taught courage and perseverance will help you push past hard times and get to what really makes you happy. I also enjoyed the illustrations throughout the book because they were full of creativity and imagination and I feel like the pictures portrayed a child's thought. I also thought that the language used throughout the book was simple but still effective in the sense that many children could read it on their own and still comprehend the words. The language also helped bring the illustrations to life even more because of their descriptive use and flow. ( )
  scigna1 | Apr 4, 2018 |
The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend by Dan Santat was a artist award winning book about Beekle an imaginary friend who didn't have a friend. He looked all over the city for a friend but could not find one, when he was about to give up, he met a little girl who wanted to be his friend. The moral was sometime things come when you stop looking. ( )
  matesewiggns | Mar 4, 2018 |

This is a tale of an imaginary friend who is searching for a child to befriend and share adventures with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316199982, Hardcover)

This magical story begins on an island far away where an imaginary friend is born. He patiently waits his turn to be chosen by a real child, but when he is overlooked time and again, he sets off on an incredible journey to the bustling city, where he finally meets his perfect match and-at long last-is given his special name: Beekle.

New York Times bestselling and award-winning author and illustrator Dan Santat combines classic storytelling with breathtaking art, creating an unforgettable tale about friendship, imagination, and the courage to find one's place in the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:00 -0400)

An imaginary friend waits a long time to be imagined by a child and given a special name, and finally does the unimaginable--he sets out on a quest to find his perfect match in the real world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,548,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible