The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

The Tournament (2013)

by Matthew Reilly

1991459,063 (3.71)4

Just about everyone has already commented how this novel is a departure for Matthew Reilly. It's still unmistakably a Matthew Reilly novel, but instead of a thriller, this is a mystery novel.

Whilst this was an enjoyable novel, I can't rate it as highly as his others. The key to enjoying the change in Reilly's murder mystery cum chess tournament is to remember this is a mystery and not a thriller. Seriously, some of the reviews I've seen sound like they were expecting Scarecrow to time travel back at any moment and start shooting mutant monkeys, and were annoyed when that didn't happen. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
A young Queen Elizabeth, A mysterious Chess Tournament, and the exotic city of Constantinople combine for a fast paced and entertaining read. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
I cannot find many good things to say about this book. It was written by Matthew Reilly, it was loosely about chess and there endth the good stuff. One star for the story, one for the author and one for a game of chess. Three stars because I love all other Matthew Reilly books I have read. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
Shocking! Please Mr Reilly, go back to what you do best - fast paced, action packed novels that have you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
I received an ARC copy through Goodreads.
---
I had high hopes for this book and to be honest it was a bit of a let down.

Sure, we got to see a handful of famous and infamous historical figures tossed into a chess tournament in the Ottoman Empire. But we didn't really get to know some of them as individuals before they were tossed aside once the introductions were done.

The book certainly didn't shy away from the intense stuff (the carnal pleasures Elsie to the religious views of Muslims to punishments that we deem barbaric and harsh). While it tried to balance everything out, I felt there was a little too much carnal stuff.... to the point that some of the scenes Elsie described was a bit laughable to me since it was borderline ridiculous and over the top (yes I rolled my eyes a few times).

Another thing, a meek Elizabeth? Sure.... I have a hard time imagining Elizabeth acting like she did for most of the book. Yes, while her curiosity and intelligence were there, it felt kind of flat and one dimensional.

Also, I have an issue with the consistency of the book. At the tavern it seems the owner was speaking in Greek, and given the time period, I highly doubt Mrs. Ponsonby and Elsie would have been taught or were intelligent enough to converse or understand Greek. So how did Mrs. Ponsonby understand what the tavern owner was telling Elizabeth? And how did Elsie converse with other people in the palace?

While this is an interesting book to read and pass time with, it was a little flat. It had a good mystery (who killed the Cardinal??) and lots of unpredictable twists and turns (who would have thought 1 action could lead to so many many deaths?).

Overall, it was an OK book. Good for a quick read. ( )
  Dream24 | Jan 6, 2016 |
'My Queen is dead.' (Prologue)
'I was living at Hatfield House in Hertfordshire when the invitation arrived at court in London.'

When the feared sultan of the mid-16th-century Ottoman Empire issues a chess tournament challenge to European royals, a young Elizabeth I accompanies England's champion, only to witness a brutal murder amid dangerous court machinations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,609,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible