Queen of Fire by Anthony Ryan

Queen of Fire (2015)

by Anthony Ryan

English (8)  Italian (1)  All languages (9)
The final book of the Raven's Shadow trilogy was well worth staying with the trilogy. I really enjoyed the balance between the major protagonists - Brother Frentis, the Red Brother, Vaelin, the Battle Lord and subject of prophecies; Lady Reva, warrior and prophetess and Queen Lyrna, the Queen of Fire and the leader of the Unified Realm against the Volarians. The Volarian Empire uses slavery, slave soldiers and terribly warped soldiers under the command of their undying leader and their evil Ally. Great action, great characters, very good epic fantasy. I enjoyed the writing style and scope of this book. In it's own way, it is original, about as original as any sword and sorcery fantasy can be these days. ( )
  Karlstar | Nov 25, 2018 |
Queen of Fire is the last book in Anthony Ryan’s Raven’s Shadow trilogy. Although I was satisfied with the end, there was a little too much tedium in arriving there. Both the second and the third book have a lot of battles, and this last book had a particularly large amount of traveling on top of that. I still enjoyed it for the most part, but I was also happy to reach the end. I thought the first book in this series was really great and I could barely put it down, but the subsequent books didn’t hold my interest as well.

The structure is pretty close to the second book in that you have the framing story and multiple POVs alternating between the chapters. There wasn’t any particular POV that I enjoyed or disliked more than the others. Mostly, I just preferred whichever POV wasn’t in the middle of yet another battle at the moment. I think my weariness of the battles led to some of the more dramatic and emotional events having less of an impact on me than they should have.

I’m rating this at 3.5 stars, and this was a case where I had a lot of trouble deciding whether to round up or round down on Goodreads. I should probably round down based on my over-all enjoyment level, but I did think the ending was satisfying and I don’t always feel that way at the end of a series so that carries quite a bit of weight with me. For that reason, I’ve decided to be generous and round up. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Jul 31, 2018 |
My least favorite of the three books. Again, constant references to torture and sexual violence as well as the normal violence of war. The language was again, consistently coarse, and got distracting. If "madness" is supposed to be the theme, a la Bridge of the River Kwai or Heart of Darkness, then I guess it was better than I am rating it, but I don't think it was supposed to be.

I felt like the ending was a bit forced. The way Elverah destroyed her own kingdom and tying the red warriors to the old times of the Ally seemed like an excuse to make it possible to have an ending that was not 10 to 30 years in the future. I think that was the most egregious part - they were completely crushed, basically decimated, and yet they put together a force to go attack a different nation on its own soil. Sure, monarchies have that much hubris, but ... it just felt forced. I would have rather seen it take an extra book and extended timeline. ( )
  dbhart42 | Dec 21, 2017 |
The final book of the Raven's Shadow trilogy, Queen of Fire, is non-stop action from beginning to end. You can feel the arc of the book and the arc of the trilogy moving forward, and suddenly you are introduced to to a couple of new characters and given their full history - which breaks the flow and takes 20 minutes and is largely unnecessary. Now, I am as big of a fan of world building as the next fellow, but all things in their place.
THis book builds and builds and builds right up until the last bit, despite those couple of lulls for character building. The finale happens immediately before the end of the book, wasting no time on wrap up and giving you just what you need to smile and murmur a silent ah-hah.
I don't think this is a spoiler, but if you are super-sensitive to such things, skip teh rest. :) At some point, Valin meets and is joined by a group of warriors called "Centaurs". Dear everyone who writes books, don't do this. I spent chapters trying to figure out if the Centaurs were the mythical half-human-half-horse or just a name given to a group. Now, I know that the centaurs of mythology were named for their town of origin, and means the "hundred bulls". If there were such a community, or the warriors had number 100, sure, call them centaurs. But dammit, there is enough going on in the books that no of us need to spend so much time being confused by a group name, especally when it is the only such name. ( )
  Eric.Cone | Sep 28, 2017 |

I don't get it; what's the big kerfuffle? That Ryan pulled too many threads together at the end? Or that he didn't? That he didn't kill enough of our favorite characters? Or he killed too many? That the final bit between good and evil was too short? That he didn't bring back all of those almost-forgotten characters, in the end?

Piffle. This book shows precisely what his intentions were with the series. He gave us his thesis - what kind of magic was available to what types of people and where they got it from and why it was difficult for some to comprehend and others to master, as well as the ineffable fact that war just sucks. I'd say he did exactly what he intended, and if folks are upset because of the answers to those questions above, maybe they are not giving him the credit he deserves.

Ryan crafted a trilogy that had most of us hanging on his every word. How long has it been since you read fantasy that pulled you in to this degree, for any of the three books, but even for the third book if you liked that least? If you say Martin or Sanderson or even Rothfuss, then that's saying something. ( )
  khage | Jan 11, 2017 |
Voor Rod, Helen, Amber en Kyle
Toen ik arriveerde met mijn gevangene stond hij te wachten op de kade, het hoekige gelaat gericht naar de horizon.

"Vaelin Al Sorna must help his queen reclaim her Realm. Only his enemy has a dangerous new collaborator, one with powers darker than Vaelin has ever encountered... "The Ally is there, but only ever as a shadow, unexplained catastrophe or murder committed at the behest of a dark and vengeful spirit. Sorting truth from myth is often a fruitless task." After fighting back from the brink of death, Queen Lyrna is determined to repel the invading Volarian army and regain the independence of the Unified Realm. Except, to accomplish her goals, she must do more than rally her loyal supporters. She must align herself with forces she once found repugnant--those who possess the strange and varied gifts of the Dark--and take the war to her enemy's doorstep. Victory rests on the shoulders of Vaelin Al Sorna, now named Battle Lord of the Realm. However, his path is riddled with difficulties. For the Volarians have a new weapon on their side, one that Vaelin must destroy if the Realm is to prevail: a mysterious Ally with the ability to grant unnaturally long life to his servants. And defeating one who cannot be killed is a nearly impossible challenge, especially when Vaelin's blood-song, the mystical power that has made him the epic fighter he is, has gone ominously silent"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,793,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible