Becoming Alpha by Aileen Erin

Becoming Alpha

by Aileen Erin

Becoming Alpha by Aileen Erin has all the elements for a great young adult story, danger, betrayal, supernatural creatures of all kinds, romance, confusion, a fight to the death, and I’d follow her flip flopping footsteps all day long.

To see more visit http://www.fundinmental.com ( )
  sherry69 | Oct 16, 2017 |
Pretty decent start to a new series. I am going to choose to ignore the insta-love in this case because a) you knew it was coming from the book blurb, b) it's young adult, and it goes with the territory, and c) it worked in a really weird way.

Tessa has a strange condition, and her parents somehow roll with it. Ok. Cool parents, I guess. Turns out she's a witch. Witches and werewolves don't mix, until they do. Then it becomes Hogwarts for wolves and peculiar children, and we are off to the races. With angsty love, because what is high school without it.

Strife, battles, and good vs. evil. Good enough to read book 2 to see where it's going. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
I loved Aileen Erin’s Becoming Alpha, the first book in the Alpha Girl Series. Tessa McCaide has visions triggered by the things she touches. It gave her the reputation of being a freak. Her family moves to Texas where she meets werewolf, Dastien Laurent, and is turned. The next thing she knows she is attending St. Ailbe’s Academy, school for werewolves. Becoming Alpha is a contemporary PNR suitable for young adults.

Aileen Erin does a great job with her character development. I like Tessa. She has always had to deal with being different. She is a strong heroine. She and Dastien have great chemistry. The plot was interesting and full of mystery and twists. The story was unique and exciting. I enjoyed Aileen Erin’s writing style. This is one series I will definitely continue to read.

Complimentary copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  dlynch | Mar 3, 2016 |
Tessa has a gift; one that to her is more of a curse. When she touches anyone or anything with her skin, she gets visions off of it. Because of it she’s considered a freak by classmates and has never had a friend. At almost eighteen, the family moves to Texas to give her a fresh start. It’s rough being a teenager, especially one with gift and no friends. But now finding out that werewolves exist by becoming one after a bite, well her world just got a whole lot rockier.

I like Tessa’s gift and how she finally figures out how to use it to her advantage. I thought her character was well done for what she’s gone through and what she’s becoming. She refuses to accept anything easily. And her relationship with Dastian, the guy who bit her, was spot on with how she reacts to mixed signals. I also enjoyed the other characters, especially the close friends she makes at the werewolf school, as well as her family.

An interesting tale that grabbed me from the beginning. ( )
  dearheart | Sep 21, 2014 |
Becoming Alpha is totally becoming a favourite werewolf book.

Perhaps my favourite thing about Becoming Alpha was the author’s writing style. I thought that it was really realistic of how a teen would speak and think. Or maybe that’s because that’s really similar to my style of both thoughts and writing. But I really enjoyed reading Aileen Erin’s writing style, I thought it was modern and it really just sucked me into the story.

Speaking of what I liked, Tessa. I found her totally relatable and I don’t often say that because I just generally don’t find that many characters relatable. And she thinks like me. I quote:
“I needed lots and lots of ice cream. Even if it was my breakfast. It had milk and eggs. That totally counted.” – 15%

Stuff like that made me chuckle through out the book. I think it’s actually the first time I have said chuckle in a review. Yeah I didn’t laugh in this book, I chuckled.

The one thing that really irked me, was a couple of grammatical errors. There were at least two full stops where there should have been question marks and anyone who even remotely knows me, knows that I am big on grammar. If it was done on purpose, I think I get why, but they really should have been question marks.

Another contender for my favourite thing, has to be the take on werewolves. Honestly, I don’t read that many werewolf books but I really, really liked Aileen Erin’s take. It was super cool and very unlike any other werewolf book that I’ve read. It reminded me a little of the House of Night series by P. C. and Kristin Cast but I thought it was a world of better.

Then there comes the relationship between Tessa and Dastien. I liked it and I didn’t. I thought it was a little weird and there comes a point when their dependency on eachother got a bit irritating, but it was also sweet and complimented the story. Plus there was the fact that Dastien is French. Oh la la.

One of my favourite characters had to be Axel. His protectiveness over his sister was so cute and he was really funny, which never goes a miss in my books. He was just as cool as the alpha concept. I liked the way that Aileen Erin crafted the whole alpha subplot into the story, it was quite interesting.

The cover of this book is absolutely gorgeous. The colours, the shades of those colours, the wolf, the girl, the drama…it’s just so pretty. I hope that the other covers of books in this series are this pretty.

I honestly am considering whether Becoming Alpha is the best werewolf book that I have read so far. It definitely exceeded my expectations and I hope that I not only get the chance to continue with this series and some point, but that future books in this series are just as good, if not better.

The reason that I am not giving Becoming Alpha five stars/comets, is because I feel like something was missing. And I know, you have to explain yourself after a comment like that. I can’t really pick out what it was, but I have a feeling that it may be something to do with the plot, like maybe a bigger climax?

Just as a little review side note, but keep reading to the end! And I mean past the end. To the acknowledgments. Aileen Erin offers some advice to writers that I really like because it’s pretty honest. Then at the very end is another beautiful picture, that could rival the cover.

4.5/5 comets
KABOOM! That only leaves one little continent. One little flaw. ( )
  Livvvy75 | Apr 19, 2014 |

Tessa McCaide has a unique talent for getting into trouble. Then again, it isn't easy for a girl with visions to ignore what she sees. Luckily Tessa and her family are leaving California and moving halfway across the country, giving her the perfect opportunity to leave her reputation as "Freaky Tessa" behind. But Tessa doesn't realize that kissing the wrong guy in her new Texas town could land her in far more trouble than she ever imagined. Like being forced to attend St. Ailbe's Academy, a secret boarding school for werewolves. Even if the wrong guy did accidentally turn her into one of "them" and doom her to attending the weirdest high school ever, Tessa can't help her growing attraction to the mysterious Dastien Laurent. When vampires attack St. Alibe's and her visions pinpoint an enemy in their midst, Tessa realizes that boy drama and her newfound canine tendencies might just be the least of her problems.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,367,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible