The Longer I'm Prime Minister by Paul Wells

The Longer I'm Prime Minister

by Paul Wells

Books on Canadian politics are depressing. This one further fuels my dismay, but nevertheless it is a surprisingly fun read. Dollops of backroom stories and anecdotes at least give some insights into the cold fish that is our prime minister. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
This is a well written and very readable book about Canada's current Prime Minister. Stephen Harper has been our PM for over 10 years and he Has managed to do this by deLiberalizing many of the laws and agencies which have been part of the Canadian establishment for decades. He plays to the populist views of law and order, balanced budgets and what he considers to be Canadian values. He comes across as a very clever but spiteful leader who has managed to destroy two opposition Liberal leaders, Dion and Ignatieff. He takes pride in ridding the country of what he considers to be left wing pursuits of former governments. However, the latter chapters deal with the several scandals that have preoccupied his government including the Mike Duffy Senated scandal and the Election Act reforms.
This is well worth reading ( )
  MaggieFlo | Nov 4, 2014 |
In this book, Paul Wells argues that Stephen Harper's success is a result of his superior understanding of Canada. And, that to really understand Canada's 22nd Prime Minister, we have to look beyond the man himself -- we have to look at how he thinks and uses his mind and his gut to position himself and his party.

Mr. Wells takes us through Canadian political history from about 2004 to the present day, disecting campaign strategies and voter reactions to show how Stephen Harper's understanding of Canadians allowed his party to win. And, not only to win, but to redefine the issues and the assumptions that support variouls positions on those issues. In this way, Mr. Wells is not only giving us a political history, but an examination of changing Canadian values.

Mr. Wells writes in a highly engaging style -- almost chatty at times. While, overall, the book portrays Mr. Harper as a winner and more competent than his Liberal and NDP opponents, I found in balanced and fair in its arguments.

Recommended for all with an interest in Canadian politics. ( )
  LynnB | Jan 27, 2014 |
I will tell you what I will do and what I will not do. I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use -- silence, exile and cunning -- James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
For Katie and Thomas, who taught me to do my best.
If all you look at is Stephen Harper, you won't see all of the story.

The definitive portrait of Stephen Harper in power by this country’s most trenchant, influential and surprising political commentator.

Oh, he won, but he won’t last. Oh, he may win again but he won’t get a majority. Oh, his trick bag is emptying fast, the ads are backfiring, the people are onto him, and soon his own party will turn on him. And let me tell you, it couldn’t happen to a nicer guy . . .

Despite a constant barrage of outrage and disbelief from his detractors, Stephen Harper is on his way to becoming one of Canada’s most significant prime ministers. He has already been in power longer than Lester B. Pearson and John Diefenbaker. By 2015, and the end of this majority term, he’ll have caught up to Brian Mulroney. No matter the ups and downs, the triumphs and the self-inflicted wounds, Harper has been moving to build the Canada he wants—the Canada a significant proportion of Canadian voters want or they wouldn’t have elected him three times. As Wells writes, “He could not win elections without widespread support in the land. . . . Which suggests that Harper has what every successful federal leader has needed to survive over a long stretch of time: a superior understanding of Canada.”

In The Longer I’m Prime Minister, Paul Wells explores just what Harper’s understanding of Canada is, and who he speaks for in the national conversation. He explains Harper not only to Harper supporters but also to readers who can’t believe he is still Canada’s prime minister. In this authoritative, engaging and sometimes deeply critical account of the man, Paul Wells also brings us an illuminating portrait of Canadian democracy: “glorious, a little dented, and free.”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:21 -0400)

An in-depth look at the prime ministership of Stephen Harper.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,993,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible