Modern Manners: Tools to Take You to the Top…

Modern Manners: Tools to Take You to the Top

by Dorothea Johnson

Modern Manners is a nifty little handbook full of etiquette tips with colorful instructions. Since it’s more of a self-help book, I recommend not digesting it all at one time, but slowly bit by bit. You can also keep it on your desk as a reference book and flip to a subject where you might need to refresh your mind.

The book is organized really well and breaks down topics such as “how to address someone”, dress code for events, and the many do’s and don’ts depending on the situation. While I thought some of these topics are self-explanatory, I did find myself still learning new etiquette tips and even realized things that I was doing incorrectly and bad habits I need to drop. For example, when people say “you’re welcome”and I respond with “yeah” or “no problem”.

There are also fun facts about etiquette practices from around the world and the authors give the book a personal touch by sharing their own experiences of how they handled situations. ( )
  Rlmoulde | Nov 25, 2017 |
It’s an etiquette book with a cute cover. I couldn’t resist.

This is a fairly basic etiquette book that apparently is targeted at those just starting out in their careers, so it isn’t fair for me to judge it based on other etiquette books. But I still will. If you’re going to get an etiquette book, and you’re a young woman who doesn’t mind the occasional f-bomb, you should get The Fabulous Girl’s Guide to Decorum, which includes this gem about breakfast after sleeping with someone: “If the sleepover occurred at your place, you really should offer him something no matter how you feel. You fucked him, you can pour him a glass of orange juice.”

However. If you’re an auntie looking for a cute graduation present for your 18-year-old niece or nephew, this isn’t a bad choice. It includes some VERY basic items, such as handshaking, making introductions, and table manners. On the subject of table manners, I actually disagree with one of the author’s subjective claims: that the European style of eating (where the knife and fork stay in hand while taking a bite) is more elegant than the American style (where you cut a piece, set down the knife and transfer the fork). I have always thought that the European practice of keeping the silverware in one’s hands throughout the bite made the person eating the food look a bit like they were waiting for someone to steal their food and thus had to shove it all in at once.

Because of my mild obsession with manners there wasn’t a lot that was new to me, but I still enjoyed learning a few things, such as the proper way to eat different foods, as well as some tips and tricks about hosting meals. It’s a brief book with some great illustrations (and while I commend the illustrator’s recognition that not everyone is white, it’d be great if the illustrator also recognized that not everyone is skinny) and useful tips for those who would benefit from a bit of etiquette education.

Oh, one last thing. One of the authors is ostensibly Liv Tyler. Yes, that Liv Tyler. She offers a few little nuggets of wisdom here and there, but it definitely reads as though Dorothea Johnson did the lion’s share of the writing. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 9, 2017 |
I love manners, I love etiquette and was so excited to get this book, but I just don't get it. 80% of this book is common sense and not anything more than basic manners. I was expecting more insight and anecdotal information and even better writing - sadly this book didn't meet my expectations. ( )
  sunnydrk | Jun 6, 2016 |
When I say Liv Tyler, most people would recognize I am talking about the actress who portrayed Arwen undomiel in The Lord of the Rings but do they know she also has an etiquette expert grandmother, Dorothea Johnson. Liv and her grandmother have come together to write an amazing manners reference book recently.

The book is divided by six major contents: Meetings & Greetings, On the Job, Electronic Communications, Out and About, Dining Skills and The savvy Host. It covers from the most basic handshake, interview, on the job, party to table manners. At the end of each major topic, there are two list to summarize the topic: the DO and DON'T lists. Other the cute cover picture, the one thing I like most about this manners book is the funny little side stories or facts. I actually laughed out loud several times.

Etiquette can be very subjective due to culture, region even within the states, generation. There is no 100% right answer to any rules but there is definitely some big NO NOs one should never do whether in a formal or causal setting. There is one rule I disagree with authors; turn your chopsticks around and use the handle ends to pick up your potions from a communal platter. I think a better way to do it is to ask for an extra pair of chopsticks, most Asian restaurants provide communal chopsticks without asking now a day so asking should not be a problem. The reason why I don't like to turn the chopsticks to pick up food is because some people like to hold their chopsticks higher (there is nothing wrong with that). If that person were to use the other end to pick up food, it is like using his/her hands on the communal platter.

I would recommend this book to everyone especially young adults who are looking or just started their careers.

4 out of 5 Stars

Received a free copy through Blogging for Books for this review. ( )
  JoeYee | Jul 27, 2015 |

Modern Manners is the type of book that you don’t realize you needed, until you have it in your hands and are reading it. Filled with advice, cute stories, and the knowledge of how to be an adult, it is a book that should reside on your shelves. Every circumstance you can think of is in here, from how to greet and talk to people, to how to land that job you want. It’s great, and exceeded every expectation I had. It’s a beautiful, sleek book with a classy feel to it.

The book is broken down in sections, starting with how to meet and greet and ending with how to host a party. The book flows almost seamlessly through the chapters and each section contains a super helpful “Do and Don’t” page to summarize what was learned. It reads as if a wise, older aunt is giving you advise over lunch. Johnson gives invaluable lessons, and Tyler’s memories and stories just adds another layer of charm. It truly is one of those books that gives so much and asks so little in return.

This is a great book to give to college graduates, high school grads, or people entering into their first “adult” job. Etiquette is one of those things you don’t know you need to know, until you’ve made an unforgivable faux pas. And with so little manners in the world today, you’ll stand out in the crowd by using just a couple of tips from Johnson. From dressing, to shaking hands, to which fork to use when, this book is one that will make you a better you.

Final Thoughts:

This is one of those books that I know will be read and looked at many times over the course of my life. Just reading it made me feel classier and better informed. Since reading the book, I have been able to put into practice many of the tips it gives. This is the book that will sit at my desk at work for easy reference in business situations, or how to act in certain environment.

A FREE COPY OF “Modern Manners: Tools to Take You to the Top” WAS PROVIDED BY BLOGGING FOR BOOKS FOR A FAIR AND HONEST REVIEW. ( )
  Rebecca_Hail | Mar 22, 2015 |

From the world-renowned etiquette expert and her granddaughter, Liv Tyler, an elegant guide to 21st-century manners for professionals who want to be confident and successful in the business and social arenas.

Developing good manners is an important investment in your future. They allow you to feel at ease in any situation--and give you the polish and confidence to become a leader. Etiquette expert Dorothea Johnson's essential dos and don'ts address both 21st-century and classic questions, including:

* acing job interviews
* giving confident handshakes
* making conversation
* proper business attire and meeting protocol
* e-mail etiquette, including what to post--or not--on social media
* how to deal with rude cell phone users
* conducting a meeting at a restaurant
* attending business or social events
* table manners

With style, wit, and delightful commentary throughout from her granddaughter, Liv Tyler, on everything from being a good guest to finding a balance with technology, Modern Manners is the must-have guide to ensure your success.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:42 -0400)

Developing good manners is an important investment in your future. The authors provide a witty guide on everything from being a good guest to finding a balance with technology.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,592,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible