A Million Little Snowflakes by Logan Byrne

A Million Little Snowflakes

by Logan Byrne

Things I was going to say about A Million Little Snowflakes before that last chapter:

I was going to talk about how, in the beginning, I related to this book. I remember being like that as a teenager. Just kind of sassy and misunderstood.

I’ve never been suicidal, so Oliver’s feelings weren’t anything familiar to me. I’ve never been in a psych ward for depression. My mom was never a crazed, overbearing monster. (Although at times I felt like Oliver was just looking for something to bitch about involving her).

I was going to quote a part in the book where Oliver talks about wanting a “normal” family and a “normal” life and how I couldn’t see how his wasn’t. His dad was a freaking doctor and his mom was home cooking three course meals every night. Kid, you have it a lot better than a lot of other people do. This isn’t something to complain about.

Or how my reliability to Oliver quickly went away when he said “Things just don’t go my way and I’m sick of always being let down.” And at that point he became whiny and tiresome, and I couldn’t take him serious anymore.

And for some reason, in my head, Dr. Tiwari had a Russian accent and I kept thinking about Kino der Toten from Call of Duty and I wanted to play nazi zombies every time she came up.

How Oliver and Lacey’s relationship was beyond cheesy, but really adorable.

And how I loved that throughout the book, Oliver grew and started to understand that he didn’t have it so bad and things will get better. I love to see progress in a character.

After:

I have a note on my Kindle marking the last several paragraphs’ that just says “wtf”.

It completely took me by surprise, and I feel like I am overanalyzing it. Like maybe we, the reader, are supposed to just make our own ending. Kind of like Inception.

Mr. Byrne, thank you for that shock to my system and all the unanswered questions I have. ( )
  emily.s | Aug 13, 2014 |
“All through life, we were told never to be different. We needed to fit in with the popular kids and follow all of these trends like our lives depended on it if we planned on having any kind of happiness or social life. But sometimes, being different was good, and it meant being human.”

For the most part, I enjoyed this plot. Following the experiences of a depressed young man put in a psychiatric ward is certainly a different kind of story thank I normally read. Filled with a contemporary sort of realistic fiction, this book is honest, funny, and inspiring.

The main character, Oliver, is certainly a person I can relate to, and would imagine a lot of people could relate to. Many teens with overbearing and smothering parents tend to feel depressed from time to time, especially if their best friend moves away. Oliver is an endearing and honest character, that is truly interesting to read about. Lacey stumps him and shocks him all the way through the book. The romance between them, and the love that grows from that romance, is sweet and innocent. First loves are intense, and these two show that kind of true love wonderfully.

Written much like a memoir, this book gives an inside look into the mind of Oliver. His humor, his jokes, his frustration, and his worries are all laid out and explained in an entertaining story. The ending was very much a shocker, and made me desperately hope there is a sequel with a positive story, to show what happens between Oliver and Lacey. I would recommend this story to anyone who likes contemporary romances, realistic fiction, or shocking endings.

*I received an eCopy of this book, from the author, to read in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Rose.Wallin | Oct 27, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,742,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible