The Railroads Of King of Prussia, PA: The…

The Railroads Of King of Prussia, PA: The Past Leads To The Future

by Michael Stefan Shaw

212,551,640 (5)None
Recently added byDarcia, hotrod12

I have to admit this is not a book I would have picked up on my own. I'm not a big fan of railroads and I knew next to nothing about King of Prussia, Pennsylvania. But the author sent me an especially nice request for an honest review and I like history, so I agreed to give the book a try. I'm glad I did.

First, the book is put together exceptionally well. There are numerous photographs, both color and black and white, as well as images of various documents. The chapters are well organized, making the book easy to navigate and the history easy to follow. The research is impeccable.

Shaw's writing is that wonderful combination of professional and entertaining. This is often a difficult balance for nonfiction authors to achieve. Shaw handles his subject well, giving us the facts while instilling his love for the topic.

This book is about more than railroads. We get a look at the early culture of Pennsylvania and an understanding of the time period during which railroads came alive. I think this is a book that will appeal to those who love trains, as well as those who enjoy history and/or live in Pennsylvania. ( )
  Darcia | Nov 22, 2013 |

Today, as King of Prussia celebrates its 300th year of existence, there is a strong movement to bring back passenger rail service to King of Prussia in order to serve the business and residential communities. "The Railroads Of King of Prussia, PA: The Past Leads To The Future" looks at the rich 175 year history of the railroads in King of Prussia. In doing so the author makes the determination that the present day demand for renewed passenger rail service is a microcosm of King of Prussia as it has traveled the path from a rural township to a business dominated suburb of Philadelphia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:26 -0400)

Michael Stefan Shaw is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,034,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible