Jake Undone by Penelope Ward

This story is about facing your fears head on and learning how to deal with them.

Nina leaves home for nursing school and moves into an apartment with her guy friend and two others. When she meets her roommates she is blown away by one in particular, Jake Green. He is everything she steers clear from... a Bad Boy... Hot and Tattooed with a Man whore persona. When Nina struggles with math she has to turn to her dark, mysterious engineer room mate. He begins tutoring her in exchange for taking her to face her fears. Together they embark on a journey of a beautiful romance with tons of emotion.

What makes this book so special is the fact that Nina and Jake show each other how to live again. They share intimate talks and texts. They open up to one another and share their deepest secrets. I loved their romance. It definitely pulls on your heartstrings.

Two people, both vulnerable, come together to share the most intimate parts of their lives.

The Author did a great job with the writing. There was just enough details to make you feel all the things the characters felt. The twists in this story keep you guessing and the storyline sucks you in.

I highly recommend this book! ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
DISCLAIMER: I was gifted this book as an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my review in any way, shape, or form. The opinions in this review are my own!

10 Brilliantly Undone Stars

Hands down one of the best books I have read in 2013. As a standalone or as a series with Penelope Ward's Gemini.

Meet Jake:

and Nina:

Nina is scared of her own shadow and Jake is just what she needs to face her fears. Jake tutors Nina and a bet changes both of their life.

You agreed to Jake's little bet because you know that you need to be pushed, or you'll never change. These things only get worse the longer you let them fester." I knew he was right. -- Nina

Nina must figure out if Jake can be the one to help her face her fears.

One fear that Nina may not be able to face is Jake's past. Can she face her biggest fear.. Loving Jake. Can he resolve his past to love her the way he wants to. Jake is undone but, Nina may be his soul.

This book made me laugh, made me cry, but not once did I want to lay it down from beginning to end this one hell of a ride.

but all in all it was amazing.

There is no other book that I have read this year that touches this one. It is 10 stars all of the way and I would recommend this to anyone whether you have read Gemini or not!

Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
A story about a man, his wife and the heroine:

A busy, busy hero.
He is a saviour of women:
His wife with her mental condition and the h with her anxiety issues.
This is his life's goal. Goals.

To his wife:
"Don't be scared, baby girl. I'm here."

To the heroine:
"I can handle suffering with you, baby. Isn't it how we started...my holding your hand through everything...?"

He calls them both "baby" throughout the book.
His wife is his: "baby girl"
The h is his: "baby"

Married to an institutionalized schizophrenic whom he struggles to divorce cos he loves her. Not as a wife or lover, although he spends a lot of his time commuting to visit her and looks after her financial and medical needs.

Gets involved with the h despite his marital status. She finds out (not via him) and is devastated.

During his relationship with the h, he gets drunk and allows ow to take him home and almost have her way with him. Heroine walks in on a "situation" with them. She then leaves him.

After this he has near-sex with an ex. (Not the wife).
Near sex, cos just as he gets the condom ready he sees the h's bracelet and he is overcome with emotion: "sadness, guilt" mostly.

All through this he is obsessed with h.
Is desperate to marry her and make her his in that way.
Jealous and possessive. Violently so.
He loves her to bits and needs her presence in his life.
Travis style. (Well, Travis style, minus the wife he is determined to have a relationship with, for as long as he lives.)

In the meantime the tstl sweet h, who has her own demons......is maybe / maybe not having a miscarriage.
No, its placenta previa.
She soldiers on and when Jake gets a job offer, she moves away from her family to be with Jake and their baby. And closer to his wife.

One year later and Jake is still visiting his wife. (Now ex.)
Every Saturday.
He leaves right after breakfast and returns home in the evening.
Heroine deals. Because this is what she signed up for when she made a commitment to Jake.

She also deals with postpartum depression and everything that goes with this condition, incl lack of sex drive, poor self image, medication and therapy.
Unfortunately they don't go to therapy together nor do they communicate about her condition. Until the end.

The poor man must be thinking he is doomed to love women who have episodes of "normal" and "not so normal" behaviour:
Jake, to h: ".......I thought....that meant ....it was back again...." (Her depression, he means)
However, he sticks around because he does realise she is, as he says: "sick" and he loves her.

Unfortunately at one stage, I'm not too sure how much therapy has helped her understand her condition because despite weekly therapy sessions she feels he has: "every right to be angry" about the way she hasn't been able to feel desire or desirous. "Dont apologise for something I created.......I did that to you....I will never treat you like that again....", she tells him

Jake is also a crier. For her. For his wife.

Then the three of them live happily ever after.....

BeegPanda | Aug 2, 2015 |
really enjoyed this book. looking forward to reading Gemini :). definitely an author I will keep an eye on. ( )
  Ellen.Biggs | Aug 31, 2014 |
Loved this book! Jake and Nina were perfect and I felt the connection right from the start. Great read, hard to put down. Well done Ms Ward! ( )
  Debbie97462 | Jul 16, 2014 |

Nina, who suffers from anxiety which leads to phobias, moves to Brooklyn to attend nursing school. She rooms with a childhood friend, his girlfriend, and their roommate, Jake. Jake is tattooed, hot, and smart and offers to help Nina with her math homework, even going so far as to wager his help will be so useful that he'll assist her in overcoming her fears if she doesn't ace her tests. But there's a secret in Jake's life, one that keeps him distant from Nina and one that could ruin their budding relationship.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,637,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible