The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan

The Blood of Olympus

by Rick Riordan

Series: The Heroes of Olympus (5), Camp Half-Blood (10)

Un buon libro finale, anche se alcuni aspetti potevano essere approfonditi di più (una su tutte il combattimento con Gea). In definitiva una saga un pò inferiore alla precedente, c'è qualche "demenzialità" di troppo, ma è pur sempre una saga per ragazzi e quindi ci può stare per strappare qualche sorriso.
Per un adulto come me è una lettura leggera veloce e divertente, ottima come svago e quando non ci si vuole concentrare troppo. Penso che leggerò anche le altre saghe di questo autore. ( )
  maxliscia | Aug 7, 2017 |
This book was amazing, I loved it. I think that I cried more reading this book then any other book I've ever read. I couldn't put it down. When I finished The House of Hades I put off reading this book cause I just didn't want to be done with the series. I'm really sad to see it end but I am happy with the way it turned out. ( )
  Samantha_D | Jul 16, 2017 |
10000/5 stars

I was so so hesitant to start reading this series, even though pretty much everyone loves it, because I could not get into the first Percy Jackson book. But this series is on a whole other level, and I genuinely have nothing to complain about, which is a first.
I loved every single moment and character; nothing ever felt boring or repetitive or unnecessary; and most importantly, it made me feel real emotions. It pulled me out of a massive reading slump and it made me care for these characters so so much.
The writing style has improved so much and I was so glad it kept changing pov's because it allowed me to delve even deeper into the story.
This last book was definitely my favourite, mainly because of Nico It has been a long time since I've enjoyed a series this much, and this one will definitely be somewhere in my top three. ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
Of the ten books Riordan wrote for Percy Jackson and the Last Olympians and Heros of Olympus, this was by far my least favorite. I appreciate Riordan sharing the world of Percy Jackson with all of us, but I expected so much more from the final novel of the series. I read PJO and HoO this summer with my 18 year old daughter, and we had a great time analyzing, hypothesizing, and comparing favorite sections of the stories as we went. Not so with BoO.

What I liked:

Reyna's story and her character development in BoO. I was looking forward to Reyna, Nico and Coach Hedge working together in BoO, and Riordan delivered. I enjoyed reading about Reyna's journey - both emotionally and in returning the Athena Parthenos to Camp Half-Blood with Nico and Coach at her side.

Nico's PoV. Readers will get so much more from Nico in BoO.

The relationships between the seven of prophecy. They have grown closer as friends, and it was refreshing to read some of that unfold in the pages of BoO.

The appearance, however brief, of characters from previous books of the series. They were missed.

What I disliked:

Percy was demoted to a mostly useless contributor to the final battles of the seven. I think if Jason would have asked Percy to go belowdecks on the Argo II and just hang out in his cabin until the battles were over, the BoO Percy would have been all to happy to oblige. In addition, Percy has aways been bold and a bit impudent, but not so much silly. That was Leo's role - clown, cut-up. While I like Leo's character, we only need one Leo. The novel also has Percy coming across as downright oblivious, if not dense, at times. Percy as the backbone of the seven and one of the most powerful demigods is not what is painted in this final story of the series. Readers will get Percy mostly at the beginning of the read, but very little after that, and what the readers will get is an insignificant, foolish Percy who is more irritating than helpful to his friends. This was the most exasperating aspect of this novel.

Annabeth also has a minor role in BoO, and is depicted as less wise and less powerful than is usual. On occasion, Piper was the one who came across as the `wise girl' instead of Annabeth. Like Percy, Annabeth's role as a leader of the seven and one of the most powerful demigods is not portrayed in BoO. I was surprised - no, shocked and angered - that Riordan would so blatantly demote Percy and Annabeth to useless and quite idiotic.

Jason, Piper and Leo are the strongest in BoO - protecting, sacrificing and saving the others the majority of the time. Hazel and Frank also have their moments, but the three from "The Lost Hero" are more front and center. As mentioned earlier, Percy and Annabeth are minor characters in this story while their friends carry the burdens of war. I don't believe Percy and Annabeth necessarily needed a PoV, but they should have been more present in the series ending. This was a considerable disappointment and difficult to accept/believe given the past nine books. Percy and Annabeth were greatly missed. I found myself scanning pages for any reference to them between readings.

I put the book down, and almost didn't return to it, when Percy could not win a battle, or even be competitive in a battle, that took place under water. The explanation - that Percy didn't try to control the giant's poison and move it away from him because Percy thought he deserved to be poisoned (suicide) - isn't a believable response to me. Just three pages before this section we read again about Percy's fatal flaw and how he would sacrifice all for his friends, yet he was willing to die because he thought he deserved it. If Percy's fatal flaw is to sacrifice for his friends, then I am unconvinced Percy would purposely leave Annabeth without a word and willingly die knowing his friends needed his help. It was so very frustrating that Percy's power was limited in this story, and especially limited during a battle that took place UNDER WATER.

The cost of war. It never felt like any of the seven of prophecy, Nico, Reyna and/or Coach were ever in any serious danger. Ever. It boggles the mind that none of the heroes had any debilitating injuries and/or permanent disabilities after war. That there weren't any deaths or near deaths, with the exception of Leo, is difficult, if not impossible, to believe.

Nico's transformation. Nico is 14 in BoO, so it's been four years since he and Bianca were brought to Camp Half-Blood. While I expected some growth from Nico, it was hard to grasp a transformation this dramatic - in a matter of days - after he had been a loner for years.

While I do agree with there being a PoV from the trio that took the Athena Parthenos to Camp Half-Blood, I don't think there should have been two PoVs for them - especially not at the expense of kicking Percy and Annabeth aside for those viewpoints.

Again, if I rank the books in order from favorite to least favorite, BoO would be my least favorite of all ten novels. "Blood of Olympus" just doesn't hold a candle to the PJO series and "The Son of Neptune," "The Mark of Athena" and "The House of Hades" in Heroes of Olympus. This was the only book in the series where I didn't have that `can't wait to get into my story' kind of feeling. I wasn't sneaking a read whenever I could, taking the book with me wherever I went. Unfortunately, I had many moments of wanting the story to just end already, but I kept reading in the hope that situations would change, writing would get better, Percy and Annabeth would return as leaders. Never happened. Sad. ( )
  Cathy_Lynn | Apr 6, 2017 |
Crying because I think, like the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus series, my childhood just officially ended.
Great book, though. Love love love love. ( )
  hungrylittlebookworm | Mar 27, 2017 |

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chamian, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rocco, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.
To my wonderful readers.
Sorry about that apology for that last cliffhanger.
I'll try to avoid cliffhangers in this book.
Well, except for maybe a few small ones...
because I love you guys.
Jason hated being old.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,926,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible