Moth by Daniel Arenson

Moth (Moth #1) DNF at 30% This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com by express permission of this reviewer

I just couldn't take this puree any more. Maybe if I was a preteen this would have been ok, but its simplisticness [NOT simplicity mind you] just bored me.

David Eddings' Belgariad or Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea Trilogy are good examples of simplicity. Yet at the same time they are engaging and well written.

This book was not engaging or well written. It was boring and pedestrian. The characters were inconsistent in how they reacted to varied situations and the whole world itself was just off.

Example. A village has some sort of royalty that everyone used to look up to. Only now, he's a doddering old man and a warmongering priest has moved in and taken over control. Ok, since this world has been this way for 1000's of years, I'm assuming that there is a regulated transfer of control of power from one generation to the next. SO WHY ISN'T THE HEIR RULING THE VILLAGE AND KEEPING THE PRIESTS OUT? It just reeked of 'make up a situation without thinking it through''ness.  And just little things like that where the implications weren't thought through. It was annoying.

There was nothing bad, it just was amateur'ish and not worth my time.

Rating: 2 of 5 Stars
Author: Daniel Arenson" ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I was not drawn in by the story or characters. It is not my kind of book. ( )
  Baochuan | Apr 25, 2016 |
No spoiler. Or spoilers, either.

4.5 stars.

Buddy read with Brandi and Cory.

Well, that was surprisingly good. I wasn't sure what to expect of Moth, but with that kickass synopsis (seriously, did you read that frikkin thing?), I had an inkling that I would like it. And I did.

Without taking into account the logistics or science, it's a fascinating world these people live in. Half is bathed in eternal sunlight and half is cloaked by eternal night. Yesss. I dunno why I hissed, but I really like that.. There's more to it, though. The people of each half know little of their neighbors. Both sides are shrouded in mystery for one another and myths and speculation abound. Much like in our own world, their respective ignorance breeds fear and hate.

We get a few POV's that are, thankfully, not in 1st person. The "main" POV, Torin, is a likable fellow with a fantastic sidekick who would have made an even better MC. Bailey is a kickass chick with a big heart. I instantly liked her. I want her to have her own storyline. I think she's capable of great things.

At first, I was concerned about one character in particular - Koyee - who had a very boring and immature voice. In time, her story managed to ensnare me and I came to care for her deeply. The majority of my personal angst, as evidenced by my angsty status updates, can be attributed to this character and her journey.

The truth is that I cared for nearly all of the characters. At one point, we're introduced to a new group and again, I didn't think I'd care much about their story, but in time, I did. You have a gift, Mr. Arenson.

All the characters are rich, flawed and endearing, except for those few that are rich, flawed, and infuriating. Even they are great characters, though. They certainly make you sit up and feel, be it indignation or rage. Kudos to the author for provoking so many emotions. I also wanna make note that there were no weak, feebleminded female characters. All the ladies were tough as balls and that was super-refreshing.

Arenson certainly pulls no punches when it comes to violence and gore, but it all fit well within the story and wasn't overdone in any way. It was perfectly suited to my tastes. I like my stories gritty and dirty and there is much grit to these interwoven stories. The oppression and injustices affected me tremendously.

There were only a couple of things that put me off slightly. As I mentioned, I found Koyee's POV in the beginning to be very dull. I wanted to tear my hair out. Though it did become interesting, it made it hard to get into the book at first. I know this is typical for Fantasy, but personally, I like a faster pace. The other POV's were great, but I felt like the story nearly stopped when it would switch to her. Thankfully, it was short-lived.

The other thing that threw me off was that same character at the end. She kept yelling out these melodramatic battle cries reminiscent of Lionheart, but cheesy instead. It really took me out of the intensity of the story. Everything had come to a head and there was Koyee, yelling out corny warrior cries. I forgave her, because the girl has heart, but I wanted to shake her.

Despite these couple of things, I really enjoyed Moth. For the most part, I was riveted and found myself rushing to get back to it whenever I would put it down. That doesn't happen to me often anymore, so this was definitely a treat.

Be forewarned, this is the first in a series and for that I'm glad. Though it didn't end on a cliffhanger, there were a lot of loose ends and I can't wait to see where Arenson takes these characters next.

My review of book #2, Empires of Moth.

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |

The world no longer turns; it has fallen still. Moth is half in light, the other half is always dark. They say the world used to turn. They say that dawn rose, dusk fell, and we worshiped both sun and stars. That was a long time ago. The world of Moth has fallen still, floating through the heavens: one half always in light, one half always in shadow. Torin's people live in daylight, blessed in the warmth of the sun. Yet across the line, others lurk in eternal night, afraid... and alone in the dark.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,758,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible