Cut and Thrust by Stuart Woods

Cut and Thrust

by Stuart Woods

Another very entertaining book in the Stone Barrington series! This thing drips in politics. Kate Lee runs for POTUS and this is the convention part. Stone is involved and it gets political. He helps out Kate and is pivotal in her nomination. I especially liked Ed Eagle's participation. He adds quite a lot to any book. Except that New Yorker, Stuart Woods, thinks that there is a 4th floor on any office in Santa Fe. Geez, take a trip out of Manhattan, you can afford it. Dino plays little in this plot. All the time I'm reading this, I'm thinking that Kate-Hillary. Naaawww. Kate's too nice. This book, however, just ends. Maybe the publisher just wanted to make a little more jingle with two...or three..or four books? ( )
  buffalogr | May 8, 2017 |
Yikes....Stuart Woods is cranking out some crap now with this series. A dull story, with not a lot of Stone Barrington to boot, made for what I can only describe as a terrible novel. I would have rated this worse, but the ending was mildly readable. Not sure if I will read anymore in this series, but if I do it will be with a lot of trepidation. What happened to all the good cop mystery stories that Stone used to be involved in? A political adviser? Ugh.... ( )
  utbw42 | Mar 6, 2017 |
From Amazon:

When Stone Barrington travels to Los Angeles for the biggest political convention of the year, he finds the scene quite shaken up: a dazzling newcomer—and close friend of Stone’s—has given the delegates an unexpected choice, crucial alliances are made and broken behind closed doors, and it seems that more than one seat may be up for grabs. And amid the ambitious schemers and hangers-on are a few people who may use the chaotic events as cover for more sinister plans. . . .

In this milieu of glad-handing and backroom deals, only the canniest player can come out on top . . . and it will take all of Stone’s discretion and powers of persuasion to arrange a desirable outcome.

My Thoughts:

This was much better than the previous two books. Stone is beginning to regain his morality and his common sense. Some old friends from previous books also became a part of the story...Ed Eagle, the Santa Fe lawyer, Teddy Faye, the wrongly accused CIA genius and sharp shooter...and Barbara, Ed Eagles homicidal ex-wife. Stuart Woods has brought them all together along with the old favorites to give Stone Barrington fans back our hero.

This is a quick read...not because it's short in pages but because Mr. Woods is a man of very few descriptive words. He says what needs to be said and moves on with the story. A little too much campaigning but it did focus on the Democratic Presidential Convention, so... ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
In the 30th book of the “what used to be good” Stone Barrington series, Stone and one of his numerous girlfriends head to Los Angeles for the Democratic national convention. Hoping to win a spot on the presidential ticket is first lady and personal friend Kate Lee, who asks Stone to act as go-between to her opponents. Assassination attempts, political manipulations, and public scandals are more than enough to keep Stone busy. Old friend Ed Eagle makes an appearance to show support for his local candidate. Unfortunately for Ed, his devious ex-wife is not far behind and is still bent on revenge.

I actually liked this book better than the last couple I've recently read. I wish Woods would just retire this once interesting character. Stone used to take a legal case and follow it through to the end. The books are now filled with name dropping and the constant beating of his own political views. I'm determined to finish off this series but I'm beginning to question why. There are a lot of great series out there I'm missing to finish this one and that makes no sense at all. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |

When Stone Barrington travels to Los Angeles for the biggest political convention of the year, he finds the scene quite shaken up: a dazzling newcomer—and close friend of Stone’s—has given the delegates an unexpected choice, crucial alliances are made and broken behind closed doors, and it seems that more than one seat may be up for grabs.  And amid the ambitious schemers and hangers-on are a few people who may use the chaotic events as cover for more sinister plans. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:16 -0400)

"Stone Barrington enters the cutthroat fray of politics in the exceptional new thriller from New York Times--bestselling author Stuart Woods. When Stone Barrington travels to Los Angeles for the biggest political convention of the year, he finds the scene quite shaken up: a dazzling newcomer-and close friend of Stone's-has given the delegates an unexpected choice, crucial alliances are made and broken behind closed doors, and it seems that more than one seat may be up for grabs. And amid the ambitious schemers and hangers-on are a few people who may use the chaotic events as cover for more sinister plans. In this milieu of glad-handing and backroom deals, only the canniest player can come out on top. and it will take all of Stone's discretion and powers of persuasion to arrange a desirable outcome"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,447,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible