Drowning (Tears of Sin, #1) by Rachel…

Drowning (Tears of Sin, #1)

by Rachel Firasek

202515,329 (4.13)None

Soon-to-be twenty-year-old Alice Harrison is, on the surface, an uninhibited adrenaline junkie who's always chasing her next thrill. But beneath it all, she's haunted by a horrific childhood and overwhelming guilt over the plight of her half-sister Molly. To make up for the accident that took Molly's sight, not to mention be near the one person in the world who's ever loved her, Alice has taken up residence in Molly's condo, helping her as she learns to navigate the world without vision. The last thing she needs right now is a complication, especially when it comes in the form of a drop dead gorgeous musician moving in across the hall.

Seth draws inspiration from the darkness he sees in other people, using it to give words to his music. His father may not support his dreams, but with his best friends and his brother in the band, he has the support system he needs to pursue his dreams. What he doesn't need, though, is a girl to distract him and complicate things. Especially the sweet girl with the haunted eyes who lives across the hall. If only she wasn't so in need of saving.

Every time The Basement was mentioned, all I could picture was that gay club down on Congress. And then I started trying to figure out if the Harrison house was over in Westlake. And then I wondered why a gunshot victim would be at Seton instead of Brackenridge. None of those are really problems with the story at all; I just didn't realize when I picked up the book that it's set in Austin, and once I did, I couldn't shut that part of my brain off. It makes perfect sense that Rowena would shop at the Domain, but with the band being such a large part of the story, I'm surprised Dirty 6th didn't garner more of a mention. See? I shouldn't read stories set here. I end up questioning everything for no good reason.

I hesitated to grab this book, since it promised to be a little more angsty than I normally go for, but I can't say I regret it. It hooked me from the very beginning, and before I knew it, I'd read through it all in one sitting.

Alice is a really interesting character, a bit wild, definitely damaged, but with a sort of confidence and free spirit I wouldn't normally expect from someone who's been burdened with her life. Her inner strength and somewhat normal façade keep the story from going straight into dark, and that's what kept me reading. Despite the suffering she's endured, she's not altogether closed off. She understandably has trust issues, but her goodness shines through, and while she may not be a saint, she's impossible not to like. As Seth can attest. Speaking of Seth...

Damn. Easily one of the hottest men I've read in romance, he's multi-dimensional and not your typical knight in shining armor. He practically oozes sex appeal, and while he's no stranger to the mirror, he's not so cocky about his looks that I want to slap him. Unless he's into that. Ahem...

Watching Alice and Seth give into and fight against their feelings for each other makes for an incredibly entertaining and emotional read, and while I did want to shake some sense into each of them a few times, they didn't fall into that cliched mess normally found in romance books. They disagree, misunderstand, fail to communicate, and somehow find their way back, and when things take a turn for the truly dark, they make it worth surviving.

***FicCentral received this book from Itching for Books for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |
Jane Hunt Writer First Steps

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google

Drowning is an experience rather than a story. Written in the first person from Alice and Seth's perspectives it charts their emotional journey towards happiness and fulfilment. Their happy ever after comes at a price which at many times in the story you believe is too high for either to pay.

Alice is an adrenaline junkie who seeks thrills to gain control of her life. Past abuse and present guilt damage her chance of happiness. Hard and brittle she knows little of love.

Seth and his younger brother Gabe although materially rich have little emotional wealth in their lives. Seth's mother left when he was twelve and his father distanced himself from his sons to cope with grief of losing her.

Alice and Seth are edgy and real characters aware of their problems and flaws but unable to move on from them. Viewed through their eyes the reader engagement is strong and empathy with two heroic souls inevitable.Well-crafted support characters enhance the story and make me keen to see what happens next in the Tears of Sin series.

An interesting plot full of twists blurs the lines between good and evil and delivers surprises. Torture and violence feature but they are not graphic. It is the emotional effect on the characters which makes them shocking and memorable. This said it definitely an adult read.

I would recommend this if you enjoy your romance without flowers and violins. A lasting love built from broken lives makes it remarkable and worth reading.

I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  jane.hunt.509511 | Nov 18, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible