A Medical Affair by Anne McCarthy Strauss

A Medical Affair

by Anne McCarthy Strauss

While I do feel that the issue of doctors using their authority to influence patients to do things like have affairs is an important one to bring to light, and that a fictional story can often have more impact than non-fiction articles or books, I struggled to understand how the relationship between Heather and Jeffrey began.

Heather is described as being a woman who has given up on a "traditional" family and has set in motion plans to adopt a baby girl from China. She's been approved as an adoptive mother and has even gotten her own place to share with her daughter. To me, this doesn't jive with a woman who would enter into an affair with a married man--one where she has to know there is little to no future of them having a "traditional" family.

That said, once the affair starts, I can see how someone in that circumstance would continue it--she starts smoking again because he leaves opened cigarette packs for her, he prescribes medications for her at the mere mention of a symptom, etc.

I also didn't expect the book to get as detailed as it did about their love life. I felt the story could have been told without all the details the author included. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book. It dealt with a doctor who was very unscrupulous and who really didn't care who he hurt in the process. I appreciate that the author took a topic that isn't very widely discussed and wrote about it in a very effective way. ( )
  chutzpanit | Sep 30, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Heather has given up all hope of having a traditional marriage and has requested adoption of an abandoned Chinese baby. About the time she receives word that her application for adoption has been approved, she moves into a single home and, because of new paint she has put on the walls, has a debilitating attack. Heather finds herself at a hospital, attended by a hospital pulmonologist, Jeff Davis. He diagnoses her problem as asthma, though this is the first she learns of having the affliction. What follows is a story of their relationship and how it crossed the line from patient-client to lovers. When things go bad, Dr. Davis drops Heather, and she falls into a deep funk. Then, after checking websites about doctor-patient relationships that evolve into something more than they should, she reports his unethical behavior and sues him for damages. This is Heather’s story of that suit and her emotional and personal fallout from the relationship. I found the book a fascinating read. The characters are well developed and the events presented well done and very realistic. I grew to detest Dr. Davis almost from the start because of his manipulative ways and how I could see him pulling in Heather hook, line and sinker. Hi actions were egregious, to say the least, and it became obvious he was an unethical, unprincipled doctor who preyed on young female patients, sucking them in with his carefully calculated words and actions until they were hopelessly falling for him. What I did not like was the way the author, as well as many of the reviewers, gave Heather a pass. She knew and all her friends told her from the get-go that she should stop and not become involved, yet she still did. Dr. Davis was totally wrong and unprincipled, but Heather was in her mid-thirties and not some young 16-year old. She was hoping to become a mother to a little adopted Chinese baby, but never did have the wherewithal to resist giving into her emotions. I personally think both Dr. Davis and Heather has unresolved issues from their past, and I would have liked to have more background on them. In addition, I never did get the feeling that Heather had learned her lesson from the experience and would be able to resist giving in to her emotions is another situation, and I am afraid others would crop up as she went through life. The book is worth reading but not a must-read, in my opinion. There are many unscrupulous people like this doctor out there, and we all need to be able to resist temptation. I am by no means exonerating Dr. Davis. I just would have preferred a more balanced approach to the situation. This is a good book to read for anyone who is unaware of how easily and quick we all can fall into a danger zone—dangerous to our emotional well-being and our futures. I debated giving the book three stars, but finally ended up giving it four stars because the book was well written, meaningful and still interesting. I received this from Library Thing to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | Mar 4, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Received this kindle book free from the author, and totally enjoyed it! I would have gladly spent the $$$ to buy it and been happy. A very fast and believable read about a patient and her doctor, who unethically pursues Heather outside of his practice. Characters well-developed, hard to put down. ( )
  annwelton | Mar 3, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was a little bit put off at the beginning, thinking I had received another cheesy romance. Luckily, the fluid writing made it a quick read and I was able to get to the raison d'être of novel. At that point, I became engrossed when the plot suddenly changed to one around medical ethics and professional law.
Whereas I found that Dr Davis was a little type-cast in his role and that the adoption byline was perhaps over-the-top, the author achieves what she set out to do: educate women about their rights and warn them of predator behaviours. The topic is as taboo and as hurtful as date rape, and McCarthy Strauss does not mince her words, when spinning a compelling tale.
An eye-opening read. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Feb 15, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 162015174X, Paperback)

While under the care of her pulmonologist after a life-threatening asthma attack, Heather Morrison enters into an affair with her doctor. This affair violates the state’s code of conduct and his medical treatment violates the Hippocratic oath. Heather’s life is shattered as a result. After the doctor terminates the relationship, Heather begins research for her own healing, and armed with this information, she initiates a civil lawsuit. Although it is a work of fiction, A Medical Affair was extensively researched. A Medical Affair is a critical book for women who want to make educated decisions regarding their relationships with their doctors.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:42 -0400)

While under the care of her pulmonologist after a life-threatening asthma attack, Heather Morrison enters into an affair with her doctor. This affair violates the state's code of conduct and his medical treatment violates the Hippocratic oath. Heather's life is shattered as a result. After the doctor terminates the relationship, Heather begins research for her own healing, and armed with this information, she initiates a civil lawsuit. Although it is a work of fiction, A Medical Affair was extensively researched. A Medical Affair is a critical book for women who want to make educated decisions regarding their relationships with their doctors.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Anne McCarthy Strauss's book A Medical Affair was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,356,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible