The Witnesses by Stephanie Black

The Witnesses

by Stephanie Black

312,001,085 (4.5)None

No tags.

'The Witnesses' is a fast paced, futuristic novel of the New America. Let us hope the New America never comes to fruition! This is a very interesting, yet horrifying account of what could happen if greedy, power-hungry people in government were allowed full reign. It is very unsettling to realize there are actually people in one's own country who are so inhumane that the events leading up to New America could, in reality, transpire.

This book is very well-written. The descriptiveness of individuals and the surrounding environment was complete. The book cover is colorful and represents the direction of the story. It is eye-catching. However, I feel the title does not fit the story well. The 'witnesses' could be a number of different people or groups. I also had a slight let down with the ending chapters. They seemed to skip too much from one event to another. It felt as though the "meat " of some of the chapter was left out. Still, Stephanie captured her audence and kept them enthralled to almost the very end, which was slightly weak.

The characterization was good and one could feel the energy - or lack of - from each individual. It has been years since I read 'the Believer'- the first of the sequel - yet some parts of 'The Witnesses' brought back a vague memory of the events in her first book. I am going to have to re-read her first book as a "refresher" but it isn't necessary. This novel can "stand alone".

I can truly feel good about giving this book a Four and a Half Stars rating.

This book was generously sent to me in exchange for an honest review, of which I have given. ( )
  LAWonder10 | Oct 28, 2013 |

After government agent Daniel Lansbury fakes the executions of three religious believers on national television, he and the fugitives Alisa Kent, Ian Roshek, and Ian's sister, Jill face the perilous task of outwitting President Amanda Ryce and her power-hungry Council long enough to escape to freedom. Meanwhile, Daniel's estranged father, Marcus, an underground terrorist leader, is hatching plans to sabotage the breakable trust between Daniel and Ian, put himself in power at the head of the nation, and endanger any hope of bringing to light the wrongs committed against the citizens of a fragile, fledgling nation.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,872,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible