Eden in Winter by Richard North Patterson

Eden in Winter (2014)

by Richard North Patterson

Eden In Winter was the third of the Blaine Trilogy. I would have given the story a higher rating had it been more concise. This novel included too frequent and detailed reviews of Fall From Grace. ( )
  nljacobs | Jan 19, 2016 |
Having enjoyed another book by this author, i scooped this one up when i saw it in my building's book swap. I was not disappointed.
Ben Blaine is found dead having fallen from a promontory in Martha's Vineyard. Was he pushed, was it suicide or an accident? The answer is revealed early in the story so it is not a murder mystery. Rather this book is one about fractured families and how the actions of the parents effect the live of the children into their adulthood. Of course a little love story and sex is thrown in for good measure.
I found it compelling and finished in 2 days ( )
  AstridG | Jan 8, 2016 |
I did not realize when I scooped this up at the library that it was third in a series. Luckily, I had read the first two, but it doesn't make things very compelling when I tell you it took me a while to realize that fact.

I empathized for the main character, Adam Blaine, and loved his brother Teddy and his father's mistress Carla Pacelli. The characters are deep and thoughtful. There is nothing light about the book, which is mostly about Adam's struggles after the murder of the man who raised him as a father, novelist Benjamin Blaine. There is nothing lighthearted here, but the story is well-told. ( )
  wareagle78 | Feb 25, 2015 |
This is the final book in the Blaine family trilogy by Richard North Patterson.

Ben Blaine, noted author, is dead. His body was found at the foot of a cliff. This story opens as the family is at an inquest about Ben's death. The authorities want to know if his death was accidental, did he commit suicide because he was terminally ill with cancer or, was he murdered because he had recently changed his will leaving the bulk of his estate to his mistress, Carla.

Adam Blaine is the central character. He's an undercover operative of the CIA. Authorities wanted his help about Ben's death but Adam's first loyalty is to his family.

He's a strongly moral character. The reader can see this in his actions toward the people he comes across in Afghanistan and with Adam's relationship with Carla.

Their relationship is at the core of the novel. Both are well developed characters who the reader would sympathise with. Carla tells Adam about her troubled childhood with an abusive father.

Their relationship deepens as the story continues and we view this in their emails back and forth from Afghanistan.

I enjoyed the fast moving story and the juxtaposition of the emails from Adam to Carla and from her to him. Thinking of the letters coming from a war torned country going to a vacation paradise like Martha's Vineyard made me pause and think about the character's lives. ( )
  mikedraper | Jul 4, 2014 |

After the suspcious death of his father, Adam Blaine attempts to help his family heal as the court inquest into Benjamin Blaine's death casts suspicion on those closest to him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,634,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible