The Tesla Gate by John D. Mimms

The Tesla Gate

by John D. Mimms

Thomas Pendleton loves his wife Ann and son Seth, so works long hours for them. He feels guilty missing birthday and family time but knows this will help them have the money they need to be comfortable in the future. For him, the future ends when they are both killed. read the rest of my review on my blog "Should I read it or not?": http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2014/03/28/the-tesla-gate-john-d-mimms/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
4 STARS

I saw that most people loved or hated The Tesla Gate. I am more in middle. Parts I loved and parts okay.
The weak part of the story in my eyes is we did not get to know Mrs. Pendleton and Seth before they died. Then their death's was pretty much skipped over. So I did not know or mourn them.

I think I would freak out if all of a sudden loved ones reappeared in front of me too. People had a hard time believing that they were back.

Thomas Pendleton was a work fiend. He was always breaking promises to because he had to work. He thought he was being a good father and husband because he was doing it for his family. Then he loses his family and realizes it is too late to make it up to them.

When Seth turns up in his bedroom he has changed but still the same little boy. Thomas realizes he can at least try and keep one promise to his son. He is going to take him on a trip.

For a while I was thinking why would the roads be so much worse in Memphis, TN. Who would you like to see and visit with? I liked Lincoln coming back. Can't think of anyone besides family members who I would want to visit with.

The dead had a choice to go through the door or stay here. Now the newly dead have to stay here. Thomas has no idea how long the storm will last so he wants to make the time with his son count.

I believe this is the first of three books. I would want to read the next two books and see how it all works out. I liked the story and ended up caring for a lot of characters and still want to know what happens to them. I really like the characters who know what the government is doing is wrong and they do what they can to save those whose path they cross.

I wonder what I would do. Would I open my home to those in need? Or would I call the number and turn them in trusting the government? The Tesla Gate is a good story but it makes you think too.

I was given this ebook to read and asked in return to give honest review of it by Net Galley and be part of its blog tour. ( )
  rhonda1111 | Aug 8, 2014 |
The only new book in this batch is John D. Mimms’ novel The Tesla Gate, which is the first of a trilogy—and that’s a good thing, because the this clearly reads as the first part of something larger.

Thomas Pendleton, our hero, has been an absent husband and father because of his devotion to work. His wife and son have gotten used to going places without him, but one day, they are killed in a car accident. Thomas is a grieving mess, but as he’s struggling with his loss, a cosmic storm in the atmosphere creates a strange event: Anyone who has died and refused to go on to the afterlife becomes visible. These “Impals”—for “impalpables”—can interact with humans.

And of course, Thomas’s son is among them.

This is a really intriguing premise, but the execution doesn’t quite live up to the promise. In order for readers to accept a “scientific” reason for return from the grave, we need to have some pretty solid writing. That said, if readers are willing to suspend their disbelief, the action as Thomas tries to keep his son away from frightened people who want to round up the “Impals” is certainly fine.

Reviewed on Lit/Rant: www.litrant.tumblr.com ( )
  KelMunger | Jul 24, 2014 |

When a cosmic storm enters Earth's atmosphere, scientists are baffled by its composition and origins, but not nearly as much as they are by the storm's side effect - anyone who has died and chosen not to cross over is suddenly stranded here, visible, and can interact with the living. With the world thrown into chaos, Thomas Pendleton is eager to make up for many broken promises to his six-year-old son, Seth. Soon after the storm, they set out on a road trip to the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC, completely unaware of the social and political maelstrom they're heading into that will change their lives forever.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible